From: mp on

"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 10, 8:35 pm, "mp" <nos...(a)thanks.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to add a path to the Path var
>
> found this quote on wikipedia
> The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is
> via
> <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.

What you see in Environment Variables may not look like what you see
when you type in path.

In Environment Variables, you may see substitutions, placeholders and
aliases that Windows understands like:

%systemroot%

These help Windows operate in environments where things may not always
be installed in c:\windows.

If I click Start, Run and enter:

%systemroot%

I end up in the C:\windows folder as expected for my system.

That %systemroot% will get translated automatically when you type in
path from a command prompt. The semicolon separates variables and
there is no harm in having an "extra" semicolon on the end. It is
just ready for the next variable to be added.

Over time with things installed/uninstalled, the path variable can get
cluttered up. It may not hurt anything, but it is sloppy.

You are best to maintain your path using the Environment Variables
method you already discovered.

Here is a list of those kinds of variables and what the substitutions
mean:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

thanks that explains it!
Thanks a lot
mark

From: Rick Merrill on
mp wrote:
> "Jose"<jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 10, 8:35 pm, "mp"<nos...(a)thanks.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to add a path to the Path var
>>
>> found this quote on wikipedia
>> The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is
>> via
>> <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.
>>

> What you see in Environment Variables may not look like what you see
> when you type in path.
>
> In Environment Variables, you may see substitutions, placeholders and
> aliases that Windows understands like:
>
> %systemroot%
>
> These help Windows operate in environments where things may not always
> be installed in c:\windows.
>
> If I click Start, Run and enter:
>
> %systemroot%
>
> I end up in the C:\windows folder as expected for my system.
>
> That %systemroot% will get translated automatically when you type in
> path from a command prompt. The semicolon separates variables and
> there is no harm in having an "extra" semicolon on the end. It is
> just ready for the next variable to be added.
>
> Over time with things installed/uninstalled, the path variable can get
> cluttered up. It may not hurt anything, but it is sloppy.
>
> You are best to maintain your path using the Environment Variables
> method you already discovered.
>
> Here is a list of those kinds of variables and what the substitutions
> mean:
>
> http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Very Useful to many of us.