From: mp on
I'm trying to add a path to the Path var

found this quote on wikipedia
The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is via
<Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.

when i look at Path via that method it does not return what the command
prmpt Path returns.

I'm looking for a "windowed" way to fix the path, as i don't want to retype
the whole thing at the command prompt (i know i'd make a mistake and hose
the system)
there is an extra semicolon that shouldn't be there and a path I appended
lacks a needed semicolon.

was hoping to find some way in windows to look at the path where i could
make an easy edit.
it used to be in autoexec.bat or command.com if i recall back in the old
days...
any tips.
thanks
mark

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com>

| I'm trying to add a path to the Path var

| found this quote on wikipedia
| The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is via
| <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.

| when i look at Path via that method it does not return what the command
| prmpt Path returns.

| I'm looking for a "windowed" way to fix the path, as i don't want to retype
| the whole thing at the command prompt (i know i'd make a mistake and hose
| the system)
| there is an extra semicolon that shouldn't be there and a path I appended
| lacks a needed semicolon.

| was hoping to find some way in windows to look at the path where i could
| make an easy edit.
| it used to be in autoexec.bat or command.com if i recall back in the old
| days...
| any tips.
| thanks
| mark

Right click on "My Computer"
Advanced --> Environmental variables --> System variables --> Path --> edit

Append your string and save. Open a Command Prompt
Type; path

Your will see your string appended to the Path env. variable.

--
Dave

From: Ol�rin on

"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to add a path to the Path var
>
> found this quote on wikipedia
> The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is
> via <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.
>
> when i look at Path via that method it does not return what the command
> prmpt Path returns.
>
> I'm looking for a "windowed" way to fix the path, as i don't want to
> retype the whole thing at the command prompt (i know i'd make a mistake
> and hose the system)
> there is an extra semicolon that shouldn't be there and a path I appended
> lacks a needed semicolon.
>
> was hoping to find some way in windows to look at the path where i could
> make an easy edit.
> it used to be in autoexec.bat or command.com if i recall back in the old
> days...
> any tips.
> thanks
> mark

Follow the Wikipedia route, find and click on Path *in "System variables"*
in the lower half of the screen, then click on Edit. Otherwise you won't
(necessarily) see the full contents of your "path". Even then, the "Edit"
field doesn't display the whole path if it's long - you'll probably need to
cursor arrow over to the left to get to different parts of it. Perhaps hit
Home, Shift+End, Ctrl+C and paste the contents into notepad to view more
easily.

I don't understand why what you see there would be different to the output
from a command prompt "path". To test, I've just made a trivial change via
System Properties, okayed my way out, and the change was immediately
reflected (accurately) in the command prompt. If you genuinely have
differences, I'd be interested to see what other, more knowledgeable posters
can offer here.

From: Jose on
On Feb 10, 8:35 pm, "mp" <nos...(a)thanks.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to add a path to the Path var
>
> found this quote on wikipedia
> The most common method of setting an environment variable in Windows is via
> <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>.
>
> when i look at Path via that method it does not return what the command
> prmpt Path returns.
>
> I'm looking for a "windowed" way to fix the path, as i don't want to retype
> the whole thing at the command prompt (i know i'd make a mistake and hose
> the system)
> there is an extra semicolon that shouldn't be there and a path I appended
> lacks a needed semicolon.
>
> was hoping to find some way in windows to look at the path where i could
> make an easy edit.
> it used to be in autoexec.bat or command.com if i recall back in the old
> days...
> any tips.
> thanks
> mark

What you see in Environment Variables may not look like what you see
when you type in path.

In Environment Variables, you may see substitutions, placeholders and
aliases that Windows understands like:

%systemroot%

These help Windows operate in environments where things may not always
be installed in c:\windows.

If I click Start, Run and enter:

%systemroot%

I end up in the C:\windows folder as expected for my system.

That %systemroot% will get translated automatically when you type in
path from a command prompt. The semicolon separates variables and
there is no harm in having an "extra" semicolon on the end. It is
just ready for the next variable to be added.

Over time with things installed/uninstalled, the path variable can get
cluttered up. It may not hurt anything, but it is sloppy.

You are best to maintain your path using the Environment Variables
method you already discovered.

Here is a list of those kinds of variables and what the substitutions
mean:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

From: mp on

> From: "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com>
>
> | I'm trying to add a path to the Path var

snip

> Right click on "My Computer"
> Advanced --> Environmental variables --> System variables --> Path -->
> edit

Sorry, should have mentioned i'm on xp, no advanced item in right click menu
on myComputer