From: RichA on
Detail retention at higher ISO's seems to be better than other crop
cameras out there and noise control is reasonable. I think it would
make a very good, compact low-light camera, coupled to a fast lens.
Pity the 35mm f2.0 was discontinued and remaining samples are very
expensive.
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:28:23 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Detail retention at higher ISO's seems to be better than other crop
>cameras out there and noise control is reasonable. I think it would
>make a very good, compact low-light camera, coupled to a fast lens.

The Canon EOS 7D and Nikon D300s are way ahead of the K-7 for low
noise at high ISOs. The Nikon D300 has fewer pixels than the K-7 but
the Canon EOS 7D has more.

(Please don't be picky, excluding Canon because of the 1.6X sensor!)

>Pity the 35mm f2.0 was discontinued and remaining samples are very
>expensive.

Most of the formerly excellent Pentax lens range has gone. The few
that remain have been swamped by average optics made by Tokina,
another member of the same Hoya Group as Pentax. Those are all
available for other brands of DSLR, so why buy a Pentax DSLR?

I suspect that Pentax DSLRs will not be around much longer.

From: RichA on
On Feb 28, 5:41 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:28:23 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Detail retention at higher ISO's seems to be better than other crop
> >cameras out there and noise control is reasonable.  I think it would
> >make a very good, compact low-light camera, coupled to a fast lens.
>
> The Canon EOS 7D and Nikon D300s are way ahead of the K-7 for low
> noise at high ISOs.  The Nikon D300 has fewer pixels than the K-7 but
> the Canon EOS 7D has more.

True, but this entry level thing is better than the K7. The Nikon
D5000 is notably better than the warmed over D300s (I've got the D300
now) and the K-X is better than the D5000.

> (Please don't be picky, excluding Canon because of the 1.6X sensor!)
>
> >Pity the 35mm f2.0 was discontinued and remaining samples are very
> >expensive.
>
> Most of the formerly excellent Pentax lens range has gone.  The few
> that remain have been swamped by average optics made by Tokina,
> another member of the same Hoya Group as Pentax.  Those are all
> available for other brands of DSLR, so why buy a Pentax DSLR?
>
> I suspect that Pentax DSLRs will not be around much longer.

Could be.
From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Feb 28, 5:41�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:28:23 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Detail retention at higher ISO's seems to be better than other crop
>> >cameras out there and noise control is reasonable. �I think it would
>> >make a very good, compact low-light camera, coupled to a fast lens.
>>
>> The Canon EOS 7D and Nikon D300s are way ahead of the K-7 for low
>> noise at high ISOs. �The Nikon D300 has fewer pixels than the K-7 but
>> the Canon EOS 7D has more.
>
>True, but this entry level thing is better than the K7.

Wishing doesn't make it so.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: RichA on
On Feb 28, 2:15 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA  <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 28, 5:41 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The Canon EOS 7D and Nikon D300s are way ahead of the K-7 for low
> >> noise at high ISOs. The Nikon D300 has fewer pixels than the K-7 but
> >> the Canon EOS 7D has more.
>
> >True,  but this entry level thing is better than the K7.
>
> Wishing doesn't make it so.

Better in terms of image quality. Read what the owners say in the
Pentax forum on Dpreview. However, there is one apparently serious
drawback, it has suffered from some kind of mirror-slap/I.S. failure
at certain shutter speeds. The cause seems inconclusive, but
something is wrong with some of them.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: shell
Next: Photo software suitable for multiple users