From: jasee on
Count de Monet wrote:
> jasee wrote:
>

>> IIRC Knoppix mounts everything as read only on the desktop(as it's
>> used for forensics). If you right click the drive, click properties,
>> then look at the device tab and unclick read only. You may then find
>> you have to unmount and mount it again for it to writeable and the
>> same with the laptop drive.
>
> If I right click the drive the only option is to mount or un-mount
> the drive

Have you installed Knoppix then? It behaves in a different way if you have.
I presumed you were running it from a live disk.

From: Robert Billing on
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Count
de Monet had written:

> Robert Billing wrote:
>

>> 1) Type "mount" in a shell to see if it is mounted, and if so where.
>
> When I do this I get:
>
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime) proc on /proc type proc
> (rw,relatime) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime) /dev/sr0 on
> /mnt-system type iso9660 (ro,relatime) tmpfs on /ramdisk type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=1048576k) /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660
> (ro,relatime) unionfs on /UNIONFS type aufs
> (rw,relatime,si=ed1c9d99,noplink) unionfs on /home type aufs
> (rw,relatime,si=ed1c9d99,noplink) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
> (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/run type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=10240k) tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/lock type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=10240k) tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/log type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=102400k) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=1048576k) udev on /dev type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=20480k) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs
> (rw,relatime,size=1048576k) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
> (rw,relatime,mode=1777) /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type hfsplus
> (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=1000,nls=utf8)
>

>> 2) If it is mounted try reading it as root.
>
> This has no effect, I still get 'Permission Denied'

Which of those mounts do you think is the USB drive? Do you mean sdb1, or
is that something else?

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book