From: Count de Monet on
I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is
formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.

I am using a Knoppix 6.2 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as

System /media/sda2
Vista /media/sda3
Recovery /media/sda1

and the USB hard drive as

disk2s1

I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the
USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'

Can the files on this drive be accessed?

Thanks for any help or suggestions
From: Robert Billing on
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Count
de Monet had written:

> I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that is
> formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.
>
> I am using a Knoppix 6.2 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive as
>
> System /media/sda2
> Vista /media/sda3
> Recovery /media/sda1
>
> and the USB hard drive as
>
> disk2s1
>
> I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access the
> USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'
>
> Can the files on this drive be accessed?
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions

1) Type "mount" in a shell to see if it is mounted, and if so where.

2) If it is mounted try reading it as root.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book
From: jasee on
Robert Billing wrote:
> As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that
> Count de Monet had written:
>
>> I'm trying to move some .jpg & .mp3 files from a USB hard drive that
>> is formatted under MAC OSX (0xaf) to a Windows Vista Laptop.
>>
>> I am using a Knoppix 6.2 live cd. Knoppix sees the laptop hard drive
>> as
>>
>> System /media/sda2
>> Vista /media/sda3
>> Recovery /media/sda1
>>
>> and the USB hard drive as
>>
>> disk2s1
>>
>> I can see files on the laptop's hard drive but when I try to access
>> the USB drive I get 'Permission Denied'
>>
>> Can the files on this drive be accessed?
>>
>> Thanks for any help or suggestions
>
> 1) Type "mount" in a shell to see if it is mounted, and if so where.
>
> 2) If it is mounted try reading it as root.

IIRC Knoppix mounts everything as read only on the desktop(as it's used for
forensics). If you right click the drive, click properties, then look at the
device tab and unclick read only. You may then find you have to unmount and
mount it again for it to writeable and the same with the laptop drive.

From: Count de Monet on
Robert Billing wrote:

> 1) Type "mount" in a shell to see if it is mounted, and if so where.

When I do this I get:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sr0 on /mnt-system type iso9660 (ro,relatime)
tmpfs on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1048576k)
/dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro,relatime)
unionfs on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,relatime,si=ed1c9d99,noplink)
unionfs on /home type aufs (rw,relatime,si=ed1c9d99,noplink)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/run type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k)
tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/lock type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k)
tmpfs on /UNIONFS/var/log type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=102400k)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1048576k)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=20480k)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1048576k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=1777)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type hfsplus
(ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=1000,nls=utf8)

> 2) If it is mounted try reading it as root.

This has no effect, I still get 'Permission Denied'
From: Count de Monet on
jasee wrote:

> IIRC Knoppix mounts everything as read only on the desktop(as it's used for
> forensics). If you right click the drive, click properties, then look at the
> device tab and unclick read only. You may then find you have to unmount and
> mount it again for it to writeable and the same with the laptop drive.

If I right click the drive the only option is to mount or un-mount the drive