From: Davey on
Is the Pinnacle Dazzle TV-to-PC equipment sold in the UK? I have one here
in the US, and cannot get it to work properly on my compaq nx9010 with
Ubuntu 9.04. I can get a jerky picture, with no sound.
I had it working some time ago on a newer PC, with WinXP, but that is no
longer available.
If anyone thinks he/she can help, I will post more information. I have
exhausted all I can find here, I need somebody who has done it successfully
to help me, and I don't know if this is used in the UK.
--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:
> Is the Pinnacle Dazzle TV-to-PC equipment sold in the UK? I have one here
> in the US, and cannot get it to work properly on my compaq nx9010 with
> Ubuntu 9.04. I can get a jerky picture, with no sound.
> I had it working some time ago on a newer PC, with WinXP, but that is no
> longer available.
> If anyone thinks he/she can help, I will post more information. I have
> exhausted all I can find here, I need somebody who has done it successfully
> to help me, and I don't know if this is used in the UK.

Well I have one of these cards - but it's PCI and of course in the UK
PAL+DVB-T. I also have never tried to get analogue TV to work, using
just digital for TV over LAN when it lived in a headless and X less
server. Currently in's in my desktop as I've been ripping some old
camcorder tapes using analogue s-video to the card, but with sound input
to the line in on the PC, I don't have an RF feed to this box, so still
don't know about analogue TV + sound.

I guess yours is USB if so I have no experience.

If you can get a jerky picture at least there's hope - is it analogue or
digital TV?

What app(s) and command(s) are you using for this?

Does the command "xvinfo" show anything?
From: Davey on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:16:12 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>> Is the Pinnacle Dazzle TV-to-PC equipment sold in the UK? I have one here
>> in the US, and cannot get it to work properly on my compaq nx9010 with
>> Ubuntu 9.04. I can get a jerky picture, with no sound.
>> I had it working some time ago on a newer PC, with WinXP, but that is no
>> longer available.
>> If anyone thinks he/she can help, I will post more information. I have
>> exhausted all I can find here, I need somebody who has done it successfully
>> to help me, and I don't know if this is used in the UK.
>
> Well I have one of these cards - but it's PCI and of course in the UK
> PAL+DVB-T. I also have never tried to get analogue TV to work, using
> just digital for TV over LAN when it lived in a headless and X less
> server. Currently in's in my desktop as I've been ripping some old
> camcorder tapes using analogue s-video to the card, but with sound input
> to the line in on the PC, I don't have an RF feed to this box, so still
> don't know about analogue TV + sound.
>
> I guess yours is USB if so I have no experience.
>
> If you can get a jerky picture at least there's hope - is it analogue or
> digital TV?
>
> What app(s) and command(s) are you using for this?
>
> Does the command "xvinfo" show anything?

NTSC is just a click away from PAL, that's not a problem.
I'm using the output from an analogue VHS player.
On one PC, the compaq nx9010, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and when I plug the
Dazzle in and open VLC Player, it comes up with Video for Linux 2. That
works, except for the jerky video and no sound. But I am totally confused
by the multiple choices of codecs, I'm not a codec person.
If I use the older Dell Dimension, with Ubuntu 8.04, VLC gives me
Video4Linux, which doesn't seem to get me anywhere useful. I can't remember
what it did do, but it wasn't much of use.
I'll try 'xvinfo' next time I'm all connected up. I see that it gives info
on video adapters.
My actual device is a Dazzle DVC-101 USB. When it worked with a better PC
and Win XP, it was the same VHS player and Dazzle as I'm using now. Wine
and virtualbox both failed, one to install, the other to run, the Windows
program on the CD.
If you don't mind watching this thread, that would be appreciated. Any help
might get me closer to a solution.
--
Davey.
From: Christopher Choi on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:51:59 -0400, Davey wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:16:12 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
>
>> Davey wrote:
>>> Is the Pinnacle Dazzle TV-to-PC equipment sold in the UK? I have one
>>> here in the US, and cannot get it to work properly on my compaq nx9010
>>> with Ubuntu 9.04. I can get a jerky picture, with no sound. I had it
>>> working some time ago on a newer PC, with WinXP, but that is no longer
>>> available.
>>> If anyone thinks he/she can help, I will post more information. I have
>>> exhausted all I can find here, I need somebody who has done it
>>> successfully to help me, and I don't know if this is used in the UK.
>>
>> Well I have one of these cards - but it's PCI and of course in the UK
>> PAL+DVB-T. I also have never tried to get analogue TV to work, using
>> just digital for TV over LAN when it lived in a headless and X less
>> server. Currently in's in my desktop as I've been ripping some old
>> camcorder tapes using analogue s-video to the card, but with sound
>> input to the line in on the PC, I don't have an RF feed to this box, so
>> still don't know about analogue TV + sound.
>>
>> I guess yours is USB if so I have no experience.
>>
>> If you can get a jerky picture at least there's hope - is it analogue
>> or digital TV?
>>
>> What app(s) and command(s) are you using for this?
>>
>> Does the command "xvinfo" show anything?
>
> NTSC is just a click away from PAL, that's not a problem. I'm using the
> output from an analogue VHS player. On one PC, the compaq nx9010, I'm
> using Ubuntu 9.04, and when I plug the Dazzle in and open VLC Player, it
> comes up with Video for Linux 2. That works, except for the jerky video
> and no sound. But I am totally confused by the multiple choices of
> codecs, I'm not a codec person. If I use the older Dell Dimension, with
> Ubuntu 8.04, VLC gives me Video4Linux, which doesn't seem to get me
> anywhere useful. I can't remember what it did do, but it wasn't much of
> use. I'll try 'xvinfo' next time I'm all connected up. I see that it
> gives info on video adapters.
> My actual device is a Dazzle DVC-101 USB. When it worked with a better
> PC and Win XP, it was the same VHS player and Dazzle as I'm using now.
> Wine and virtualbox both failed, one to install, the other to run, the
> Windows program on the CD.
> If you don't mind watching this thread, that would be appreciated. Any
> help might get me closer to a solution.

Sorry but trivial question, have you installed proper graphics driver for
accelerated graphics for your laptop? (e.g. Can you run Compiz?) Cause
that might actually help solve the jerky-ness of the picture you see in
VLC..

--
Chris Choi
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> NTSC is just a click away from PAL, that's not a problem.
> I'm using the output from an analogue VHS player.
> On one PC, the compaq nx9010, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and when I plug the
> Dazzle in and open VLC Player, it comes up with Video for Linux 2. That
> works, except for the jerky video and no sound. But I am totally confused
> by the multiple choices of codecs, I'm not a codec person.

It's probably outputting video in some raw format. The thing you need to
do is get one that can be accelerated by xv. This can be done through
v4l2, but I don't know how with vlc as I have only ever used
mplayer/mencoder with mine. If you have mplayer something like this -

mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:input=0:amode=1:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yuy2:device=/dev/video0

This will use yuy2 which should be accelerated - but see below.

You may need to change the input and I can't even remember what amode
does (probably nothing in my case as I used line in for sound).

> I'll try 'xvinfo' next time I'm all connected up. I see that it gives info
> on video adapters.

You don't need to be hooked up - it should show what your graphics
drivers are able to accelerate.

Google tells me that nx910 uses a radeon part - now if you are using the
open source drivers there is a chance that you have two adapters overlay
and textured video - the latter may work better or support more formats.
Without seeing the output I can't tell (of course if there is nothing
listed then you/your distro needs to sort out your drivers.

> My actual device is a Dazzle DVC-101 USB.

Looks like it's quite different from my card and USB, I can only guess
that the v4l2 drivers work the same over USB.

As for sound - if you are lucky it may be as simple as running alsamixer
and unmuting/turning up the inputs until you find one that
works.