From: Davey on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:19:34 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> NTSC is just a click away from PAL, that's not a problem.
>> I'm using the output from an analogue VHS player.
>> On one PC, the compaq nx9010, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and when I plug the
>> Dazzle in and open VLC Player, it comes up with Video for Linux 2. That
>> works, except for the jerky video and no sound. But I am totally confused
>> by the multiple choices of codecs, I'm not a codec person.
>
> It's probably outputting video in some raw format. The thing you need to
> do is get one that can be accelerated by xv. This can be done through
> v4l2, but I don't know how with vlc as I have only ever used
> mplayer/mencoder with mine. If you have mplayer something like this -
>
> mplayer tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:input=0:amode=1:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yuy2:device=/dev/video0
>
> This will use yuy2 which should be accelerated - but see below.
>
> You may need to change the input and I can't even remember what amode
> does (probably nothing in my case as I used line in for sound).
>
>> I'll try 'xvinfo' next time I'm all connected up. I see that it gives info
>> on video adapters.
>
> You don't need to be hooked up - it should show what your graphics
> drivers are able to accelerate.
>
> Google tells me that nx910 uses a radeon part - now if you are using the
> open source drivers there is a chance that you have two adapters overlay
> and textured video - the latter may work better or support more formats.
> Without seeing the output I can't tell (of course if there is nothing
> listed then you/your distro needs to sort out your drivers.
>
>> My actual device is a Dazzle DVC-101 USB.
>
> Looks like it's quite different from my card and USB, I can only guess
> that the v4l2 drivers work the same over USB.
>
> As for sound - if you are lucky it may be as simple as running alsamixer
> and unmuting/turning up the inputs until you find one that
> works.

Reply #1.

This is on my Desktop, a Dell Pentium III, running Ubuntu 8.04, and that's
because it won't run anything later.
I entered 'compiz' on this machine, per Chrispoher Choi's suggestion, and
got the following:

david(a)david-desktop:~$ compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 00:01.0 0300: 8086:7125 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this
isn't going to work.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display
:0.0"

which sounds pretty final to me!

And I also tried 'xvinfo':

"david(a)david-desktop:~$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "I810 Video Overlay"
number of ports: 1
port base: 65
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x23
depth 24, visualID 0x24
depth 24, visualID 0x25
depth 24, visualID 0x26
number of attributes: 3
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
"XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 64)
maximum XvImage size: 1440 x 1080
Number of image formats: 6
id: 0x35315652 (RV15)
guid: 52563135-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 15
red, green, blue masks: 0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
id: 0x36315652 (RV16)
guid: 52563136-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 16
red, green, blue masks: 0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x30323449 (I420)
guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)"

This means very little to this newbie, but it doesn't sound very capable,
which is no surprise, as it's an old system, and not the one that I
expected to use for the Dazzle, although if it worked, that would be a
bonus.

I'll do the same on the laptop later today, and report those findings.

Thanks for any and all help.

--
Davey.

From: Davey on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:19:34 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> NTSC is just a click away from PAL, that's not a problem.
>> I'm using the output from an analogue VHS player.
>> On one PC, the compaq nx9010, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and when I plug the
>> Dazzle in and open VLC Player, it comes up with Video for Linux 2. That
>> works, except for the jerky video and no sound. But I am totally confused
>> by the multiple choices of codecs, I'm not a codec person.
>
> It's probably outputting video in some raw format. The thing you need to
> do is get one that can be accelerated by xv. This can be done through
> v4l2, but I don't know how with vlc as I have only ever used
> mplayer/mencoder with mine. If you have mplayer something like this -
>
> mplayer tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:input=0:amode=1:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yuy2:device=/dev/video0
>
> This will use yuy2 which should be accelerated - but see below.
>
> You may need to change the input and I can't even remember what amode
> does (probably nothing in my case as I used line in for sound).
>
>> I'll try 'xvinfo' next time I'm all connected up. I see that it gives info
>> on video adapters.
>
> You don't need to be hooked up - it should show what your graphics
> drivers are able to accelerate.
>
> Google tells me that nx910 uses a radeon part - now if you are using the
> open source drivers there is a chance that you have two adapters overlay
> and textured video - the latter may work better or support more formats.
> Without seeing the output I can't tell (of course if there is nothing
> listed then you/your distro needs to sort out your drivers.
>
>> My actual device is a Dazzle DVC-101 USB.
>
> Looks like it's quite different from my card and USB, I can only guess
> that the v4l2 drivers work the same over USB.
>
> As for sound - if you are lucky it may be as simple as running alsamixer
> and unmuting/turning up the inputs until you find one that
> works.

Reply #2.

On laptop:
"david(a)david-laptop:~$ compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size
(2048): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
running under gnome seesion, checking for gnomecompat
Checking for Xgl: not present.
This also resulted in a semi-lockup of the windows on the screen, I had to
Cntr-C to get out of the compiz process, and now I can't focus anywhere
else. I seem to be stuck in this message composition window.
The rest of this message will follow when I have control again!

Ok, back after a reboot, as everything seemed to be locked up, and no
Min/Max/Close buttons on anything that was running, and File/Quit wouldn't.
I won;t do that again.
And:
"david(a)david-laptop:~$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon Video Overlay"
number of ports: 1
port base: 57
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x21
depth 24, visualID 0x22
number of attributes: 22
"XV_DEVICE_ID" (range 0 to -1)
client gettable attribute (current value is 106)
"XV_LOCATION_ID" (range 0 to -1)
client gettable attribute (current value is 107)
"XV_INSTANCE_ID" (range 0 to -1)
client gettable attribute (current value is 108)
"XV_DUMP_STATUS" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
"XV_SET_DEFAULTS" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
"XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to -1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 30)
"XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
"XV_OVERLAY_ALPHA" (range 0 to 255)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 255)
"XV_GRAPHICS_ALPHA" (range 0 to 255)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 255)
"XV_ALPHA_MODE" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_COLOR" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_RED_INTENSITY" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_GREEN_INTENSITY" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_BLUE_INTENSITY" (range -1000 to 1000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
"XV_CRTC" (range -1 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is -1)
"XV_GAMMA" (range 100 to 10000)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 1000)
"XV_COLORSPACE" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048
Number of image formats: 8
id: 0x41424752 (RGBA)
guid: 52474241-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 32
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 32
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
id: 0x54424752 (RGBT)
guid: 52474254-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 16
red, green, blue masks: 0x7c00, 0x3e0, 0x1f
id: 0x32424752 (RGB2)
guid: 52474200-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 16
red, green, blue masks: 0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
id: 0x0
guid: 52474200-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 24
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 24
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x30323449 (I420)
guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
Adaptor #1: "Radeon Textured Video"
number of ports: 16
port base: 58
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x21
number of attributes: 1
"XV_VSYNC" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048
Number of image formats: 4
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x30323449 (I420)
guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 12
number of planes: 3
type: YUV (planar)
id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)"

I don't mind admitting that I'm lost in space here.

I'll try the Alsamixer inputs next time I'm hooked up again.

--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> I don't mind admitting that I'm lost in space here.
>
> I'll try the Alsamixer inputs next time I'm hooked up again.

Well the xvinfo looks OK, so you should get acceleration as long as the
player and v4l2 can get the right format set up.

You do have 2 adaptors, 0 and 1, by default the first (overlay) will get
used, if it doesn't seem to work properly then you can use adaptor #1 by
telling the player. With VLC I know it's possible, but can't remember
precisely where in the menus. with mplayer you just do something like -

mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1 ......
From: Davey on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:32:07 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> I don't mind admitting that I'm lost in space here.
>>
>> I'll try the Alsamixer inputs next time I'm hooked up again.
>
> Well the xvinfo looks OK, so you should get acceleration as long as the
> player and v4l2 can get the right format set up.
>
> You do have 2 adaptors, 0 and 1, by default the first (overlay) will get
> used, if it doesn't seem to work properly then you can use adaptor #1 by
> telling the player. With VLC I know it's possible, but can't remember
> precisely where in the menus. with mplayer you just do something like -
>
> mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1 ......

Still offline..
I've never done anything with VLC using the command line, only the GUI.
But right now, I see under "Tools/Extended Settings(Adjustments and
Effects)", a tab: "v4l2 controls". It says "No v4l2 instance found. Press
the refresh button to try again.", but it still sees nothing when I do so.
Maybe this will become active when I am indeed hooked up to the Dazzle? And
maybe it will then give me the option to change the adapter?
I made the mistake of hitting the "Show All Settings" button in
Preferences. Seeing that huge lot of options convinces me that I am way out
of my depth here! I don't know what half (at least) of this stuff means;
and I didn't need to before on the other (better) laptop, I plugged the
Dazzle in, and it worked with its own software, so all this was hidden from
me. But it does say that the video output is accelerated. I also think
that the other laptop had an nvidia adapter in it.
If you have the time, please keep asking relevant questions. I can post
whatever you may need to help me here.
After reading loads of forum entries, this would be a very useful Wiki
entry, once it works. At the moment, I'm not sure if anything has changed
enough to try again, it's a fair effort to get everything physically set
up, so I want to believe that there is a change of something reasonably
effective before doing so.
Thanks for the help!
--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> Still offline..
> I've never done anything with VLC using the command line, only the GUI.
> But right now, I see under "Tools/Extended Settings(Adjustments and
> Effects)", a tab: "v4l2 controls". It says "No v4l2 instance found. Press
> the refresh button to try again.", but it still sees nothing when I do so.
> Maybe this will become active when I am indeed hooked up to the Dazzle?

Yea, hopefully there will be something there that you can set, like
telling it to output yuy2 format.

> maybe it will then give me the option to change the adapter?

This is nothing to do with v4l2 and I guess it will be under a video
output section. You may not need to change it anyway, it's just
something else to try if after getting the dazzle to output yuy2 you
don't get a picture.

> I made the mistake of hitting the "Show All Settings" button in
> Preferences. Seeing that huge lot of options convinces me that I am way out
> of my depth here! I don't know what half (at least) of this stuff means;

I doubt if I do either :-)

> and I didn't need to before on the other (better) laptop, I plugged the
> Dazzle in, and it worked with its own software, so all this was hidden from
> me. But it does say that the video output is accelerated. I also think
> that the other laptop had an nvidia adapter in it.
> If you have the time, please keep asking relevant questions. I can post
> whatever you may need to help me here.
> After reading loads of forum entries, this would be a very useful Wiki
> entry, once it works. At the moment, I'm not sure if anything has changed
> enough to try again, it's a fair effort to get everything physically set
> up, so I want to believe that there is a change of something reasonably
> effective before doing so.
> Thanks for the help!

It could just be something as simple as VLC not working properly and
using mplayer would work - I don't currently use vlc as in the past I've
found it to be over fussy, fragile and regress between revisions too
much compared to mplayer.