From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

>> mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1 tv:// -tv
>> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:buffersize=64:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1
>>
> Couldn't get that to work, it didn't like anything after the "xv", and I
> couldn't find any other way of switching the video mode to textured.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway - if your main use will be to
record with mencoder. You could also have used
-vo xv:port=
and used the first port number xvinfo shows for textured vid.

> I tried some other stuff, but it either made no difference, or caused
> crashes! If you have any other ideas, they would be welcome
> Currently using:
> mplayer -vo xv tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000

If it keeps running with this, then maybe trying to capture with
mwncoder would be the best thing to try next.

I tested one pass encoding with a short raw vid file and it's a lot
better than the windows quality wise - but maybe a bit borderline for Cpu.

mjpeg gives really nice results with low CPU usage but makes for big
files - but that's OK as an intermediate format to code to mpeg2 after
the capture.

If you are going to make mpeg2, then you can save a bit of USB bandwidth
by using a different raw format that uses the same type (4:2:0) as mpeg
will. Also if DVD is your target then you need to get the dazzle to
output 720x480. I would try as a test -

mencoder -vf harddup -of lavf -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg
-ofps 30000/1001 -o outfilename.avi tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000

Are you planning to make "real" DVDs to play on a standalone player - or
just wanting to make files to burn to a dvd and play on a computer?
From: Davey on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:18:27 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>>> mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1 tv:// -tv
>>> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:buffersize=64:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1
>>>
>> Couldn't get that to work, it didn't like anything after the "xv", and I
>> couldn't find any other way of switching the video mode to textured.
>
> Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway - if your main use will be to
> record with mencoder. You could also have used
> -vo xv:port=
> and used the first port number xvinfo shows for textured vid.

Ok, I might give thata try next time.

>> I tried some other stuff, but it either made no difference, or caused
>> crashes! If you have any other ideas, they would be welcome
>> Currently using:
>> mplayer -vo xv tv:// -tv
>> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000
>
> If it keeps running with this, then maybe trying to capture with
> mwncoder would be the best thing to try next.

mencoder ?

> I tested one pass encoding with a short raw vid file and it's a lot
> better than the windows quality wise - but maybe a bit borderline for Cpu.
>
> mjpeg gives really nice results with low CPU usage but makes for big
> files - but that's OK as an intermediate format to code to mpeg2 after
> the capture.
>
> If you are going to make mpeg2, then you can save a bit of USB bandwidth
> by using a different raw format that uses the same type (4:2:0) as mpeg
> will. Also if DVD is your target then you need to get the dazzle to
> output 720x480. I would try as a test -
>
> mencoder -vf harddup -of lavf -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg
> -ofps 30000/1001 -o outfilename.avi tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000

Wow, that's amouthful. I'll decode it, so I can understand what I'm doing.

> Are you planning to make "real" DVDs to play on a standalone player - or
> just wanting to make files to burn to a dvd and play on a computer?

Either or both. One that plays on a DVD player would be good, but not
essential. I have a multi-format (PAL/NTSC) multi-voltage (120-240)
multi-frequency (50/60) all-region DVD player, so that might not be a
problem.
Thanks for the help, you are way, way beyond me in this, so your help is
much appreciated.
--
Davey.
From: Davey on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:18:27 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>>> mplayer -vo xv:adaptor=1 tv:// -tv
>>> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:buffersize=64:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1
>>>
>> Couldn't get that to work, it didn't like anything after the "xv", and I
>> couldn't find any other way of switching the video mode to textured.
>
> Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway - if your main use will be to
> record with mencoder. You could also have used
> -vo xv:port=
> and used the first port number xvinfo shows for textured vid.
>

>> I tried some other stuff, but it either made no difference, or caused
>> crashes! If you have any other ideas, they would be welcome
>> Currently using:
>> mplayer -vo xv tv:// -tv
>> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000
>
> If it keeps running with this, then maybe trying to capture with
> mwncoder would be the best thing to try next.
>
> I tested one pass encoding with a short raw vid file and it's a lot
> better than the windows quality wise - but maybe a bit borderline for Cpu.
>
> mjpeg gives really nice results with low CPU usage but makes for big
> files - but that's OK as an intermediate format to code to mpeg2 after
> the capture.
>
> If you are going to make mpeg2, then you can save a bit of USB bandwidth
> by using a different raw format that uses the same type (4:2:0) as mpeg
> will. Also if DVD is your target then you need to get the dazzle to
> output 720x480. I would try as a test -
>
> mencoder -vf harddup -of lavf -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg
> -ofps 30000/1001 -o outfilename.avi tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000
>
> Are you planning to make "real" DVDs to play on a standalone player - or
> just wanting to make files to burn to a dvd and play on a computer?

One other puzzle:
If I use the command described earlier, and then shut mplayer down
deliberately, I can then run it again. But if it shuts down on a failure,
such as video buffer full, and I then try to run it again, I get the
failure message "/dev/video0: file or directory does not exist".
The only way I have found of getting it to work again is to reboot. But if
I look for /dev/video0, there is still nothing there, but the command will
now work.
Any ideas?
--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> One other puzzle:
> If I use the command described earlier, and then shut mplayer down
> deliberately, I can then run it again. But if it shuts down on a failure,
> such as video buffer full, and I then try to run it again, I get the
> failure message "/dev/video0: file or directory does not exist".
> The only way I have found of getting it to work again is to reboot. But if
> I look for /dev/video0, there is still nothing there, but the command will
> now work.
> Any ideas?

Not really - but you could after it's crashed do
ps ax and see if mplayer is still running if it is
kill -9 <it's process number>

You could also see if unplugging and replugging the dazzle makes
/dev/video0 re-appear.

From: Davey on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:53:02 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> One other puzzle:
>> If I use the command described earlier, and then shut mplayer down
>> deliberately, I can then run it again. But if it shuts down on a failure,
>> such as video buffer full, and I then try to run it again, I get the
>> failure message "/dev/video0: file or directory does not exist".
>> The only way I have found of getting it to work again is to reboot. But if
>> I look for /dev/video0, there is still nothing there, but the command will
>> now work.
>> Any ideas?
>
> Not really - but you could after it's crashed do
> ps ax and see if mplayer is still running if it is
> kill -9 <it's process number>
>
> You could also see if unplugging and replugging the dazzle makes
> /dev/video0 re-appear.

The crashes with the full buffer were always accompanied by an
ever-repeating 'Error' message, so mplayer was still running, it just
couldn't work any more. I would stop it with a Cntrl-C, and would then get
the normal prompt. Repeating the same command line would then fail with the
afore-mentioned message.

The unplug/replug idea is worth a try, for sure.

FWIW, knowing that I am not connected to the Dazzle, I tried your suggested
command anyway, to see what it would do:
"david(a)david-laptop:~$ mencoder -vf harddup -of lavf -oac pcm -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -ofps 30000/1001 -o outfilename.avi tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:width=720:height=480:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000
MEncoder 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu19 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2,
Stepping: 9)
CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 9 data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski(a)zpr.uni-koeln.de>
comment: first try, more to come ;-)
v4l2: unable to open '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Bad file descriptor
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
===
Cannot open demuxer.

Exiting..."

When I do it for real, I will select a better out file name, naturaally.

But what file format does it not recognise? mjpeg? Avi? It doesn't
specify!

Thanks again.
--
Davey.