From: Davey on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:59:04 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> Still offline..
>> I've never done anything with VLC using the command line, only the GUI.
>> But right now, I see under "Tools/Extended Settings(Adjustments and
>> Effects)", a tab: "v4l2 controls". It says "No v4l2 instance found. Press
>> the refresh button to try again.", but it still sees nothing when I do so.
>> Maybe this will become active when I am indeed hooked up to the Dazzle?
>
> Yea, hopefully there will be something there that you can set, like
> telling it to output yuy2 format.
>
>> maybe it will then give me the option to change the adapter?
>
> This is nothing to do with v4l2 and I guess it will be under a video
> output section. You may not need to change it anyway, it's just
> something else to try if after getting the dazzle to output yuy2 you
> don't get a picture.
>
>> I made the mistake of hitting the "Show All Settings" button in
>> Preferences. Seeing that huge lot of options convinces me that I am way out
>> of my depth here! I don't know what half (at least) of this stuff means;
>
> I doubt if I do either :-)
>
>> and I didn't need to before on the other (better) laptop, I plugged the
>> Dazzle in, and it worked with its own software, so all this was hidden from
>> me. But it does say that the video output is accelerated. I also think
>> that the other laptop had an nvidia adapter in it.
>> If you have the time, please keep asking relevant questions. I can post
>> whatever you may need to help me here.
>> After reading loads of forum entries, this would be a very useful Wiki
>> entry, once it works. At the moment, I'm not sure if anything has changed
>> enough to try again, it's a fair effort to get everything physically set
>> up, so I want to believe that there is a change of something reasonably
>> effective before doing so.
>> Thanks for the help!
>
> It could just be something as simple as VLC not working properly and
> using mplayer would work - I don't currently use vlc as in the past I've
> found it to be over fussy, fragile and regress between revisions too
> much compared to mplayer.

Ok, thanks for the thoughts. I'll give it a try with some variations again
soon, and post the results here.
From what I had read, most folks reckoned that VLC was overall a very good
bet, and it worked for me when I was trying to get started with Linux.
But...
I won't be surprised if I just don't have the power to make this work
properly, it is an old machine, but it would be great if it does.
Your help is much appreciated. I might ask about settings on mplayer if I
get confused with it! Again, I've never used the command line with that,
either.
--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> I won't be surprised if I just don't have the power to make this work
> properly, it is an old machine, but it would be great if it does.
> Your help is much appreciated. I might ask about settings on mplayer if I
> get confused with it! Again, I've never used the command line with that,
> either.

I don't know how much CPU usb2 running at 170mbit will eat, but the
display shouldn't eat too much of a 2+Ghz processor.

When you are connected up run dmesg - it should show which devices are
being used for sound and video.

I found an example of someone using a PAL one with mplayer on fedora -

http://dougsland.livejournal.com/70990.html

the -vf pp=lb part of the mplayer command line is to deinterlace - you
could omit that if CPU usage is an issue for you.

From: Davey on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:27:57 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> I won't be surprised if I just don't have the power to make this work
>> properly, it is an old machine, but it would be great if it does.
>> Your help is much appreciated. I might ask about settings on mplayer if I
>> get confused with it! Again, I've never used the command line with that,
>> either.
>
> I don't know how much CPU usb2 running at 170mbit will eat, but the
> display shouldn't eat too much of a 2+Ghz processor.
>
> When you are connected up run dmesg - it should show which devices are
> being used for sound and video.

I will, and I'll post the result.

> I found an example of someone using a PAL one with mplayer on fedora -
>
> http://dougsland.livejournal.com/70990.html
>
> the -vf pp=lb part of the mplayer command line is to deinterlace - you
> could omit that if CPU usage is an issue for you.

I have seen that one also, but most of it I didn't understand, being a
newbie! You have to start somewhere.
Thanks again.
--
Davey.
From: Mark Hobley on
Christopher Choi <chutsu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but trivial question, have you installed proper graphics driver for
> accelerated graphics for your laptop? (e.g. Can you run Compiz?)

You don't actually need to be able to run Compiz. You only need the 2d
acceleration to work. (3d acceleration is not important here).

I think motion video will always be jerky due to conversion factors.
(frame rates, resolutions, etc).

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Nix on
On 16 Apr 2010, Bruce Richardson uttered the following:

> Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>>> It was Donald Rumsfeld, IIRC.
>>
>> And he was right (in that quote if nowhere else). He just missed out a
>> category: the unknown knowns, the things we *think* we know that really
>> aren't so.
>
> Surely the unknown knowns are things we don't realise we know.

I tried to figure it out, but I'm afraid that terminology sucks rather a
lot. I have to say I don't know.