From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> So now that I can record, apparently, successfully (I'll try a long run
> later), the next stage is to turn it into a form that can eventually be
> transferred to DVD.
> Enough for one day, but a success!!

The width and height I suggested are (according to wikipedia) NTSC dvd
standard - so try those. Also I assume the content is interlaced and
using 480 height will mean you can keep the interlacing.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> 5615 david 20 0 75632 4988 4900 S 92.5 1.1 252:15.29 mencoder

Ouch - there is something wrong here - I would consider trying to get
through your distro a newer mplayer - yours is 2007, and maybe whatever
is causing this is now fixed.
From: Davey on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:58:59 +0100
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > So now that I can record, apparently, successfully (I'll try a long
> > run later), the next stage is to turn it into a form that can
> > eventually be transferred to DVD.
> > Enough for one day, but a success!!
>
> The width and height I suggested are (according to wikipedia) NTSC
> dvd standard - so try those. Also I assume the content is interlaced
> and using 480 height will mean you can keep the interlacing.

I tried that first, and got a tall thin totally useless image!
--
Davey.
From: Davey on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:07:40 +0100
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > 5615 david 20 0 75632 4988 4900 S 92.5 1.1 252:15.29
> > mencoder
>
> Ouch - there is something wrong here - I would consider trying to get
> through your distro a newer mplayer - yours is 2007, and maybe
> whatever is causing this is now fixed.

According to synaptic, what I have is the latest version for my
Ubuntu 9.04.
2:1-.0~rc2-0ubuntu19
But it was worth a try, thanks.
--
Davey.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hrmt27$aht$1(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:58:59 +0100
> Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:
>
>> Davey wrote:
>>
>> > So now that I can record, apparently, successfully (I'll try a long
>> > run later), the next stage is to turn it into a form that can
>> > eventually be transferred to DVD.
>> > Enough for one day, but a success!!
>>
>> The width and height I suggested are (according to wikipedia) NTSC
>> dvd standard - so try those. Also I assume the content is interlaced
>> and using 480 height will mean you can keep the interlacing.
>
> I tried that first, and got a tall thin totally useless image!

Maybe it was trying to interlace two 480 line fields into a 960 line
frame instead of 2x240 to 480? I don't know what interlace options you
were using. You might also have to use the -aspect option.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk