From: Tony Houghton on
In <hrn3pf$c45$1(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> But the last time it ran, as above, it appeared to work just fine. As
> suggested earlier, I will try the mpeg2video output next time. But is
> it worth spending time trying to get the width and height setup from
> Wikipaedia working, when I already now have a usable output file?

If you want to make a DVD video (as opposed to an MPEG file on a data
DVD) you do need to get the height correct, because AFAIK DVD only
officially supports 480 or 240 lines for NTSC.

Did you check the CPU usage running mencoder alone, or only when playing
the video? It could be that the problem isn't in the encoding, only in
playback. I noticed one of your mplayer logs referred to the swcaler
(software scaling); you really want to be using hardware scaling, and
mplayer's xv video output driver is usually the best to use. What
happens if you add -vo xv to the mplayer command line? If that fails,
try -vo gl and/or -vo sdl (be aware if you have dodgy graphics card
drivers gl in particular could cause serious crashes).

I think one of your posts said you had an Intel graphics adaptor.
Usually they're very well supported, but I heard there were some serious
performance problems with Intel drivers affecting Ubuntu a while back,
which may apply to the version you're using.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

>> Interlacing is something else to consider. NTSC VHS really produces 2
>> x 30000/1001 fields per second but the dazzle will weave the fields
>> together to make 30000/1001 frames/sec this may not look too good
>> when there is lots of motion when played on a computer. You can
>> de-interlace with mplayer yadif=1 or 0 (assuming 2007 mplayer has
>> that).
>>

> Will try this next time, also. Something else to learn about.

OK I forgot -vf so to de-interlace when playing back using mplayer -

mplayer -vf yadif=1 ...
or
mplayer -vf yadif-0 ...

1 doubles the framerate 0 doesn't

If horizontal motion looks jittery do

mplayer -field-dominance 0 -vf yadif=1
or
mplayer -field-dominance 1 -vf yadif=1

I am not sure if these will work on 2007 mplayer

>> you will need to check the field
>> order by experimenting with mplayer and yadif and -field-dominance -
>> this could be tricky depending on what's on the VHS so I won't bother
>> going into detail now as you may not be planning on making real DVDs
>> anyway.
>>
> Now we're out of my knowledge area again. I won't get back to this
> until I am happy with PC-DVDs.

Just doing the above and yadif=1 and seeing which field-dominance looks
OK will be enough as long as the source is truly interlaced.

For movies it may be harder to see (I don't know - it may still be easy)

From: Tony Houghton on
In <hrnlrn$9ln$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> mplayer -field-dominance 0 -vf yadif=1
> or
> mplayer -field-dominance 1 -vf yadif=1
>
> I am not sure if these will work on 2007 mplayer

I should think they will. I don't think it's had much significant
functional change since then apart from VDPAU, which wouldn't apply to
you because it's for NVidia cards. If anything I think mplayer has gone
downhill instead of improving lately IME.

You could also try vlc, which has a friendlier GUI, including
deinterlacing options, and to see if it fixes your apparent acceleration
problem.

And I remembered some other options which will help make the output
DVD-compatible:

-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd

But I'm not sure whether that will then be fully compatible with
dvdauthor etc or if it still needs an extra stage of processing with
something like replex first.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrnhu0cvk.3e8.h(a)realh.co.uk>,
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <hrnlrn$9ln$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:
>
>> mplayer -field-dominance 0 -vf yadif=1
>> or
>> mplayer -field-dominance 1 -vf yadif=1
>>
>> I am not sure if these will work on 2007 mplayer
>
> I should think they will. I don't think it's had much significant
> functional change since then apart from VDPAU, which wouldn't apply to
> you because it's for NVidia cards. If anything I think mplayer has gone
> downhill instead of improving lately IME.

[...]

By "you" I mean the OP, "Davey". I did edit it, but somehow I seem to
have undone the changes or reverted to an earlier draft without noticing
when I referred back up the thread.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Davey on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 00:22:43 +0100
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> >> Interlacing is something else to consider. NTSC VHS really
> >> produces 2 x 30000/1001 fields per second but the dazzle will
> >> weave the fields together to make 30000/1001 frames/sec this may
> >> not look too good when there is lots of motion when played on a
> >> computer. You can de-interlace with mplayer yadif=1 or 0 (assuming
> >> 2007 mplayer has that).
> >>

> > Will try this next time, also. Something else to learn about.
>
> OK I forgot -vf so to de-interlace when playing back using mplayer -
>
> mplayer -vf yadif=1 ...
> or
> mplayer -vf yadif-0 ...
>
> 1 doubles the framerate 0 doesn't
>
> If horizontal motion looks jittery do
>
> mplayer -field-dominance 0 -vf yadif=1
> or
> mplayer -field-dominance 1 -vf yadif=1
>
> I am not sure if these will work on 2007 mplayer
>
> >> you will need to check the field
> >> order by experimenting with mplayer and yadif and -field-dominance
> >> - this could be tricky depending on what's on the VHS so I won't
> >> bother going into detail now as you may not be planning on making
> >> real DVDs anyway.
> >>
> > Now we're out of my knowledge area again. I won't get back to this
> > until I am happy with PC-DVDs.
>
> Just doing the above and yadif=1 and seeing which field-dominance
> looks OK will be enough as long as the source is truly interlaced.
>
> For movies it may be harder to see (I don't know - it may still be
> easy)

I'm going to be busy next time I hook everything up! I need a rainy
day, keep me out of the garden....

--
Davey.