From: Davey on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 14:49:24 +0000 (UTC)
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <hrnlrn$9ln$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:
>
> > mplayer -field-dominance 0 -vf yadif=1
> > or
> > mplayer -field-dominance 1 -vf yadif=1
> >
> > I am not sure if these will work on 2007 mplayer
>
> I should think they will. I don't think it's had much significant
> functional change since then apart from VDPAU, which wouldn't apply to
> you because it's for NVidia cards. If anything I think mplayer has
> gone downhill instead of improving lately IME.

I certainly don't have an NVidia card, but the PC that the Dazzle
worked with first time out, with WinXP, did have one.

> You could also try vlc, which has a friendlier GUI, including
> deinterlacing options, and to see if it fixes your apparent
> acceleration problem.

I started originally with VLC, unsuccessfully, and then moved over to
MPLayer with command line, as suggested in these threads. Thats's
working. Now if I try to use VLC again, from the GUI, (I have never
tried it from the command line), it refuses to work with the Dazzle.
Next time I'm hooked up, I'll do it again, and post the faults. It's
some version of "Could not open v4l2".

> And I remembered some other options which will help make the output
> DVD-compatible:
>
> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd

That I think I can interpret. I'll try it.

> But I'm not sure whether that will then be fully compatible with
> dvdauthor etc or if it still needs an extra stage of processing with
> something like replex first.

dvdauthor is new to me. I assume it creates DVDs? I was planning on
using Brasero, but I'm not at that stage yet, and will listen to any
suggestions.

Many thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

--
Davey.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hrpe6g$16h$3(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 2010 14:49:24 +0000 (UTC)
> Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> You could also try vlc, which has a friendlier GUI, including
>> deinterlacing options, and to see if it fixes your apparent
>> acceleration problem.
>>
> I started originally with VLC, unsuccessfully, and then moved over to
> MPLayer with command line, as suggested in these threads. Thats's
> working. Now if I try to use VLC again, from the GUI, (I have never
> tried it from the command line), it refuses to work with the Dazzle.
> Next time I'm hooked up, I'll do it again, and post the faults. It's
> some version of "Could not open v4l2".

I meant try recording with mencoder than playing back the file with vlc.
I'm still thinking in terms of trying to work out whether your
performance problem is only in playback.

>> And I remembered some other options which will help make the output
>> DVD-compatible:
>>
>> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd
>>
> That I think I can interpret. I'll try it.
>
>> But I'm not sure whether that will then be fully compatible with
>> dvdauthor etc or if it still needs an extra stage of processing with
>> something like replex first.
>>
> dvdauthor is new to me. I assume it creates DVDs? I was planning on
> using Brasero, but I'm not at that stage yet, and will listen to any
> suggestions.

dvdauthor is a flexible command line tool which generates a DVD video
file/directory hierarchy. I don't think you'll want to use it directly
because it isn't user-friendly, but many of the friendlier GUI DVD
authoring tools for Linux use it as their backends. However, judging by
the Debian dependencies recent versions of brasero don't need it any
more. I don't know how flexible brasero and/or other user-friendly DVD
authoring tools are about how DVD compliant the input video must be.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Davey on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 20:45:06 +0000 (UTC)
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <hrpe6g$16h$3(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
> Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 May 2010 14:49:24 +0000 (UTC)
> > Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> You could also try vlc, which has a friendlier GUI, including
> >> deinterlacing options, and to see if it fixes your apparent
> >> acceleration problem.
> >>
> > I started originally with VLC, unsuccessfully, and then moved over
> > to MPLayer with command line, as suggested in these threads. Thats's
> > working. Now if I try to use VLC again, from the GUI, (I have never
> > tried it from the command line), it refuses to work with the Dazzle.
> > Next time I'm hooked up, I'll do it again, and post the faults. It's
> > some version of "Could not open v4l2".
>
> I meant try recording with mencoder than playing back the file with
> vlc. I'm still thinking in terms of trying to work out whether your
> performance problem is only in playback.

Ok, gotcha.

> >> And I remembered some other options which will help make the output
> >> DVD-compatible:
> >>
> >> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd
> >>
> > That I think I can interpret. I'll try it.
> >
> >> But I'm not sure whether that will then be fully compatible with
> >> dvdauthor etc or if it still needs an extra stage of processing
> >> with something like replex first.
> >>
> > dvdauthor is new to me. I assume it creates DVDs? I was planning on
> > using Brasero, but I'm not at that stage yet, and will listen to any
> > suggestions.
>
> dvdauthor is a flexible command line tool which generates a DVD video
> file/directory hierarchy. I don't think you'll want to use it directly
> because it isn't user-friendly, but many of the friendlier GUI DVD
> authoring tools for Linux use it as their backends. However, judging
> by the Debian dependencies recent versions of brasero don't need it
> any more. I don't know how flexible brasero and/or other
> user-friendly DVD authoring tools are about how DVD compliant the
> input video must be.

Looks as though Brasero is going to be the first choice, then.

My last attempt produced a good viewable .avi file, so I have that to
work with. It recorded for 2 minutes, and used just under 90 MB
of filespace, and I stopped it, not a fault. So for a 60 minute video
tape, that would be 2700 MB. I will try a long run next time, to see if
it will work. But I would love to get rid of the continuing "Duplicate
Frame" and "Skipping Frame" messages that roll by as it is recording.

Thanks for the help.

--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:
> But I would love to get rid of the continuing "Duplicate
> Frame" and "Skipping Frame" messages that roll by as it is recording.

They are a pain I know. It's something I planned on looking into further
when I did my tapes, but I didn't get that many and didn't get round to it.

You can stop them easily, but may not want to.

omit the harddup, the -ofps .. and add -noskip (not as part of -vf)

The problem I had doing this was that on long runs v4l2 reports some
dropped frames and if you don't specify the framerate and let mencoder
skip/dup then by the end of 45 minutes the sound was out of sync.

It may be different for you as my sound was coming through line in - so
experiment.

It would be nice to find a way to avoid the apparently pointless skips
and dups that cancel each other out.

I think this is because tape devices don't play out at exactly the
framerate expected by mencoder - or maybe sometimes there are other
delays in the v4l2 layer.
From: Davey on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:31:46 +0100
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
> > But I would love to get rid of the continuing "Duplicate
> > Frame" and "Skipping Frame" messages that roll by as it is
> > recording.
>
> They are a pain I know. It's something I planned on looking into
> further when I did my tapes, but I didn't get that many and didn't
> get round to it.
>
> You can stop them easily, but may not want to.
>
> omit the harddup, the -ofps .. and add -noskip (not as part of -vf)
>
> The problem I had doing this was that on long runs v4l2 reports some
> dropped frames and if you don't specify the framerate and let
> mencoder skip/dup then by the end of 45 minutes the sound was out of
> sync.
>
> It may be different for you as my sound was coming through line in -
> so experiment.
>
> It would be nice to find a way to avoid the apparently pointless
> skips and dups that cancel each other out.
>
> I think this is because tape devices don't play out at exactly the
> framerate expected by mencoder - or maybe sometimes there are other
> delays in the v4l2 layer.

Hmm, thanks. Maybe I'll just live with it for now, then.
Cheers,

--
Davey.