From: Davey on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:31:46 +0100
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
> > But I would love to get rid of the continuing "Duplicate
> > Frame" and "Skipping Frame" messages that roll by as it is
> > recording.
>
> They are a pain I know. It's something I planned on looking into
> further when I did my tapes, but I didn't get that many and didn't
> get round to it.
>
> You can stop them easily, but may not want to.
>
> omit the harddup, the -ofps .. and add -noskip (not as part of -vf)
>
> The problem I had doing this was that on long runs v4l2 reports some
> dropped frames and if you don't specify the framerate and let
> mencoder skip/dup then by the end of 45 minutes the sound was out of
> sync.
>
> It may be different for you as my sound was coming through line in -
> so experiment.
>
> It would be nice to find a way to avoid the apparently pointless
> skips and dups that cancel each other out.
>
> I think this is because tape devices don't play out at exactly the
> framerate expected by mencoder - or maybe sometimes there are other
> delays in the v4l2 layer.

Did some more playing around today, with interruptions.

Basic conclusions:
I can't use a height of 480 without getting the 'Video Buffer Full'
message within a minute or less.
Even using mencoder going to mpeg2video and a width of 540 and a height
of 360, with buffersize=204, it runs for about 2 minutes and then fills
the video buffer again.
I tried to output it to various mpeg-type files instead of avi, but
it doesn't like any of them. It will create a file, but it won't
play back. What am I doing wrong, or is that it? It seems that if
mencoder goes straight to mpeg2video, I should be able to save it in a
similar format. I tried using vlc and mplayer, from their GUIs, and they
behaved the same way.

That's it for now, I'll try again when I next get a chance.

Last command line:
david(a)david-laptop:~$ mencoder -vf scale=-1:-1:1,harddup -of lavf -oac
pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -ofps 30000/1001 -o
testfile12.avi tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:buffersize=204:device=/dev/video1:width=540:height=360:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1:volume=2000

Top-out for about the time it stops shows:
top - 16:45:58 up 5:43, 3 users, load average: 2.90, 2.36, 2.04
Tasks: 135 total, 1 running, 134 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 88.4%us, 11.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.0%si,
0.0%st
Mem: 444296k total, 217036k used, 227260k free, 5244k
buffers Swap: 1309256k total, 212584k used, 1096672k free,
74796k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+
COMMAND 9328 david 20 0 69388 2624 2536 S 93.0 0.6 184:02.60 mencoder
4188 root 20 0 224m 31m 4404 S 3.3 7.3 12:35.07 Xorg
9467 david 20 0 38168 7920 3764 S 2.0 1.8 1:54.90 gnome-terminal
11 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 1.3 0.0 1:09.40 kacpid
17958 david 20 0 2452 1188 908 R 0.3 0.3 0:00.35 top
1 root 20 0 3084 240 188 S 0.0 0.1 0:01.18 init
2 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd

--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> Top-out for about the time it stops shows:

> Cpu(s): 88.4%us, 11.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.0%si,

I think you should try and see if you can get current mplayer to work.

I guess on ubuntu you'll need to install some dev packages, but I don't
know the detail.

If it's not already installed get svn then under your home dir make a dir -

mkdir mplayer-svn
cd mplayer-svn
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
cd mplayer
../configure
make

If all goes well you will have a new mplayer and mencoder in that dir -
you could install them, but I would just run them from there.

You have to remember to put ./ in front of them or you will run your old
versions.

../mencoder .....
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hs7gki$va4$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Andy Furniss <spam(a)andyfurniss.entadsl.com> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> Top-out for about the time it stops shows:
>
>> Cpu(s): 88.4%us, 11.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.0%si,
>
> I think you should try and see if you can get current mplayer to work.
>
> I guess on ubuntu you'll need to install some dev packages, but I don't
> know the detail.

Maybe the packages from debian-multimedia will work?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hs77t2$2da$1(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> Did some more playing around today, with interruptions.
>
> Basic conclusions:
> I can't use a height of 480 without getting the 'Video Buffer Full'
> message within a minute or less.
> Even using mencoder going to mpeg2video and a width of 540 and a height
> of 360, with buffersize=204, it runs for about 2 minutes and then fills
> the video buffer again.
> I tried to output it to various mpeg-type files instead of avi, but
> it doesn't like any of them. It will create a file, but it won't
> play back. What am I doing wrong, or is that it? It seems that if
> mencoder goes straight to mpeg2video, I should be able to save it in a
> similar format. I tried using vlc and mplayer, from their GUIs, and they
> behaved the same way.

You used -of lavf in your command line, did you try it with -lavfopts
format=mpg? Or -of mpeg? The latter might be better for your ultimate
needs because you can also use -mpegopts format=dvd.

Alternatively, by coincidence I saw this a few days ago:

http://retout.co.uk/

which includes a "receipe" for recording from v4l2 with gstreamer. You'd
have to read another big pile of documentation to understand the
options, but in general the documentation for GNOME components is pretty
good, and gstreamer might be less capricious than mencoder.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Davey on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:23:04 +0000 (UTC)
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> In <hs77t2$2da$1(a)n102.xanadu-bbs.net>,
> Davey <davey(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Did some more playing around today, with interruptions.
> >
> > Basic conclusions:
> > I can't use a height of 480 without getting the 'Video Buffer Full'
> > message within a minute or less.
> > Even using mencoder going to mpeg2video and a width of 540 and a
> > height of 360, with buffersize=204, it runs for about 2 minutes and
> > then fills the video buffer again.
> > I tried to output it to various mpeg-type files instead of avi, but
> > it doesn't like any of them. It will create a file, but it won't
> > play back. What am I doing wrong, or is that it? It seems that if
> > mencoder goes straight to mpeg2video, I should be able to save it
> > in a similar format. I tried using vlc and mplayer, from their
> > GUIs, and they behaved the same way.
>
> You used -of lavf in your command line, did you try it with -lavfopts
> format=mpg? Or -of mpeg? The latter might be better for your ultimate
> needs because you can also use -mpegopts format=dvd.

I tried yesterday, without success. I didn't record the errors, so
can't give more details, sorry. Next time I try, I will log what fails.

> Alternatively, by coincidence I saw this a few days ago:
>
> http://retout.co.uk/
>
> which includes a "receipe" for recording from v4l2 with gstreamer.
> You'd have to read another big pile of documentation to understand the
> options, but in general the documentation for GNOME components is
> pretty good, and gstreamer might be less capricious than mencoder.

I have enough trouble with mplayer and understanding all that it can do,
so I'm not going to play around with another system that I don't know.
Unless I install it and just have a look. But thanks anyway.

I also tried running wxcam and cheese. wxcam worked, but the colour was
way, way off, and it still needed a small frame size to run, just like
mencoder/mplayer. cheese had no sound, and appeared to have no way of
getting any, but did have a clear image. Not exactly the experience the
guy whose site I got that from had, but, as always, his equipment is not
my equipment.
--
Davey.
I gave up on them.