From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> [36475.333748] em28xx #0: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video0 and
> /dev/vbi0
> [36475.333766] em28xx #0: Found Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 90/DVC 100
> [36475.333832] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 1, class 1
> [36475.333885] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 2, class 1
> [36475.333965] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
> [36475.642569] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>
> Any help understanding that lot much appreciated. But it seems to be happy
> that there is a Dazzle out there. Tonight, the picture is a lot less jerky,
> even on VLC. But still no sound!

I have never used usb audio, but guessing from the blog example I would try

mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1

I see you have two audio devices so also try with ...:adevice=/dev/dsp2

Also run alsamixer and make sure "DVC 100" (if it exists) is unmuted and
turned up while testing.

> I see the AC97 audio in there. Maybe that's where the trouble is, isn't
> that a Windows driver?

AC97 is a standard for sound so that is OK.

From: Davey on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:09:35 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> [36475.333748] em28xx #0: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video0 and
>> /dev/vbi0
>> [36475.333766] em28xx #0: Found Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 90/DVC 100
>> [36475.333832] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 1, class 1
>> [36475.333885] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 2, class 1
>> [36475.333965] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
>> [36475.642569] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>>
>> Any help understanding that lot much appreciated. But it seems to be happy
>> that there is a Dazzle out there. Tonight, the picture is a lot less jerky,
>> even on VLC. But still no sound!
>
> I have never used usb audio, but guessing from the blog example I would try
>
> mplayer tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1
>
> I see you have two audio devices so also try with ...:adevice=/dev/dsp2
>
> Also run alsamixer and make sure "DVC 100" (if it exists) is unmuted and
> turned up while testing.
>
>> I see the AC97 audio in there. Maybe that's where the trouble is, isn't
>> that a Windows driver?
>
> AC97 is a standard for sound so that is OK.

Thanks. I will try those.
When I launch Aslsmixer, all I get is a pair of stereo volume slide, one
pair Master, the other Capture. I can move the Master ones, but not the
Capture ones, which are fixed at about 60%. No sign of a Mute button
anywhere, nor DVC100. The only other thing there is an icon that says
'Pulse Audio'. I have tried selecting that instead of alsa, but it didn't
do any good.
I played around with MPlayer and VLC quite a bit today, and I noticed that,
probably the same as the other times, the video is in black and white, not
colour. I'm getting ready to give up on this, but then I would not be able
to what I need and have the Dazzle for!
--
Davey.
From: Andy Furniss on
Davey wrote:

> When I launch Aslsmixer, all I get is a pair of stereo volume slide, one
> pair Master, the other Capture. I can move the Master ones, but not the
> Capture ones, which are fixed at about 60%. No sign of a Mute button
> anywhere, nor DVC100. The only other thing there is an icon that says
> 'Pulse Audio'. I have tried selecting that instead of alsa, but it didn't
> do any good.

I wonder if more will show up if you reboot while the dazzle is connected.

It could also be that your version of ubuntu needs some extra
configuration somewhere.

Running alsamixer in a terminal you can see if something is muted as it
will have MM under the volume slider. Press m when it is selected and
the MM will turn to OO.

> I played around with MPlayer and VLC quite a bit today, and I noticed that,
> probably the same as the other times, the video is in black and white, not
> colour. I'm getting ready to give up on this, but then I would not be able
> to what I need and have the Dazzle for!

Next time you try with mplayer from a terminal it would help if you
could post the output.

From: Davey on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:57:48 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> When I launch Aslsmixer, all I get is a pair of stereo volume slide, one
>> pair Master, the other Capture. I can move the Master ones, but not the
>> Capture ones, which are fixed at about 60%. No sign of a Mute button
>> anywhere, nor DVC100. The only other thing there is an icon that says
>> 'Pulse Audio'. I have tried selecting that instead of alsa, but it didn't
>> do any good.
>
> I wonder if more will show up if you reboot while the dazzle is connected.

Could well do. I'll try it next time, every attempt so far has been
connection with the PC already on.

> It could also be that your version of ubuntu needs some extra
> configuration somewhere.

Running 9.04, fully updtaed. Any ideas what else it might be missing?

> Running alsamixer in a terminal you can see if something is muted as it
> will have MM under the volume slider. Press m when it is selected and
> the MM will turn to OO.

Ah-ha! That is a very different view. I said elsewhere that I am not much
of a command line user. Here, I see <Line> is muted.

>> I played around with MPlayer and VLC quite a bit today, and I noticed that,
>> probably the same as the other times, the video is in black and white, not
>> colour. I'm getting ready to give up on this, but then I would not be able
>> to what I need and have the Dazzle for!
>
> Next time you try with mplayer from a terminal it would help if you
> could post the output.
See above, only used the GUI so far. But will try from the commabd line
next time.
--
Davey.
From: Davey on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:09:35 +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
>> [36475.333748] em28xx #0: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video0 and
>> /dev/vbi0
>> [36475.333766] em28xx #0: Found Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 90/DVC 100
>> [36475.333832] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 1, class 1
>> [36475.333885] em28xx audio device (2304:021a): interface 2, class 1
>> [36475.333965] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
>> [36475.642569] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>>
>> Any help understanding that lot much appreciated. But it seems to be happy
>> that there is a Dazzle out there. Tonight, the picture is a lot less jerky,
>> even on VLC. But still no sound!
>
> I have never used usb audio, but guessing from the blog example I would try
>
> mplayer tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp1
>
> I see you have two audio devices so also try with ...:adevice=/dev/dsp2
>
> Also run alsamixer and make sure "DVC 100" (if it exists) is unmuted and
> turned up while testing.
>
>> I see the AC97 audio in there. Maybe that's where the trouble is, isn't
>> that a Windows driver?
>
> AC97 is a standard for sound so that is OK.

Progress!

I can now get video and sound, although the volume is low, but it is there.
Your command line worked, using /dsp2 crashed it, /dsp1 is fine.
The Alsamixer gives me control using PCM, if I run the 'alsamixer -c 1'
command I just get a three-line header with little info.
The mplayer just quit, and won't restart, so I'll reboot and let it run
undisturbed for a while.
But we have Progress!
More later. Thanks to all.
--