From: Too Funny on
[corrected URL]

I thought it would be fun to add yet one more graphic editor into the
testing results, and then combine them all into one easy to see chart so
people don't have to bother clicking on 5 different links. Then trying to
remember what you saw at each one (I know how slow some of you are).

"Granger Calibration Chart" Editor-Test Results

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4337946696_8ef5e104ff_o.jpg

Isn't this fun? :-)
From: Lon on
Too Funny wrote:
> I thought it would be fun to add yet one more graphic editor into the
> testing results, and then combine them all into one easy to see chart so
> people don't have to bother clicking on 5 different links. Then trying to
> remember what you saw at each one (I know how slow some of you are).
>

> "Granger Calibration Chart" Editor-Test Results
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4337905568_55c1e9cfa6_o.jpg
>
> Isn't this fun? :-)

Says unavailable. Just for grins, how does GIMP do?
From: Too Funny on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 09:22:07 -0700, Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Too Funny wrote:
>> I thought it would be fun to add yet one more graphic editor into the
>> testing results, and then combine them all into one easy to see chart so
>> people don't have to bother clicking on 5 different links. Then trying to
>> remember what you saw at each one (I know how slow some of you are).
>>

>> "Granger Calibration Chart" Editor-Test Results
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4337905568_55c1e9cfa6_o.jpg
>>
>> Isn't this fun? :-)
>
>Says unavailable. Just for grins, how does GIMP do?

Had a minor typo in the text in the original. Had to upload a corrected
version.

Here's the corrected URL

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4337946696_8ef5e104ff_o.jpg

Didn't try GIMP, don't have it presently installed on this machine, but
wish I had. It would been another good one to add to the chart. I have no
doubts it would match the rest of the world that all see the same blue sky.
You know, unlike PhotoSlop off on its own planet. :-)

From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:09:40 -0600, Too Funny wrote:

> [corrected URL]
>
> I thought it would be fun to add yet one more graphic editor into the
> testing results, and then combine them all into one easy to see chart so
> people don't have to bother clicking on 5 different links. Then trying
> to remember what you saw at each one (I know how slow some of you are).
>

> "Granger Calibration Chart" Editor-Test Results
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4337946696_8ef5e104ff_o.jpg
>
> Isn't this fun? :-)

You can add this one I just created with GIMP. GIMP doesn't have
"Luminance" in its layer mixers, but applying "Hard Light" to the second
gradient seems to produce the same effect.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/GrangerChart.jpg

I also don't understand why the Luminance Landscape author says that the
background color must be white. The background will be gone after applying
the rainbow gradient anyway.

Ofcourse, it would be nice to see a response by a PS-user, who can say if
the error really is created by PS instead of the original author. I've
seen more stupid errors from LL before.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Too Funny on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 17:30:55 +0100, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:09:40 -0600, Too Funny wrote:
>
>> [corrected URL]
>>
>> I thought it would be fun to add yet one more graphic editor into the
>> testing results, and then combine them all into one easy to see chart so
>> people don't have to bother clicking on 5 different links. Then trying
>> to remember what you saw at each one (I know how slow some of you are).
>>

>> "Granger Calibration Chart" Editor-Test Results
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4337946696_8ef5e104ff_o.jpg
>>
>> Isn't this fun? :-)
>
>You can add this one I just created with GIMP. GIMP doesn't have
>"Luminance" in its layer mixers, but applying "Hard Light" to the second
>gradient seems to produce the same effect.
>
>http://www.arumes.com/temp/GrangerChart.jpg

Thanks.

Yes, I had to use that same "Hard Light" layer-blend option in one of the
editors, I think it was in PhotoImpact. And another even more inexpensive
and obscure editor worked the same (PhotoScape? or something like that),
but the chart looked a little too different from the others to include it,
it was using some "Legacy Hard Light" method or something that clipped all
the blacks and lights. But even then the colors in that program, like
yours, were a nice even spread without all those horrendous hills and
valleys of the PhotoSlop one.

>I also don't understand why the Luminance Landscape author says that the
>background color must be white. The background will be gone after applying
>the rainbow gradient anyway.

Not sure why. It could depend on if they have their system set to create
layers with a default transparency? Perhaps an easier way to circumvent
other settings. In either case, that's not even 1/10th his problem. :-)

>Ofcourse, it would be nice to see a response by a PS-user, who can say if
>the error really is created by PS instead of the original author. I've
>seen more stupid errors from LL before.

When I spotted the difference on that page I got curious. That's why I
created that PhotoSlop Granger Chart on the comparison list I posted using
my own copy of PhotoSlop to see if he made any errors. He did not. I even
tried changing the system color profiles in PhotoSlop. I changed the
"rainbow gradient" to the true colors that they should be (they are way off
in PhotoSlop). They should be, from left to right, in 100% saturations:

Red, Magenta, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Red

At spacing increments of

0%, 16%, 33% 50%, 66%, 83%, 100%

Or if using hue-rotation degrees, then:

0, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300, 360

PhotoSlop's default "rainbow" gradient was all over the map in colors and
spacing. Further adding to any PhotoSlop user's nightmare when using this
method without correcting the gradient first. When I corrected PhotoSlop's
gradient even that didn't help. It resulted in a similar mess as what you
see in the above chart.