From: Lobster on
Draco wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2:47 pm, Lobster <davidlobsterpot...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
>> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.

>> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
>> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
>> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
>> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?

> From my point of view, it looks like you didn't swivel on the lens
> nodel point. This is where the light come to a point in the lens before
> it "widens" again to cover the "film plane" or digital sensor. It will
> give a tilt to the image and distort the panorama. Also you should over
> lap each shot by at the least 1/3 of the frame. This will give you and the
> program more to work with in aligning the images.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the above would fit; especially by
having rotated the bracket on the camera head through 90 deg to do the
shots portrait-style, I could have swiveling the camera about 2-3" from
the nodal point. I suppose taking pictures only a short distance away
(the room is 3 or 4 yards wide) as opposed to a landscape shot will only
execerbate that problem.

David
From: Rutger on

"Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans' of
> the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results to
> produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of the
> pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for now, the
> perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to inaccurate
> leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong? If it's a
> leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how to get it
> accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> David

Did you turn the lens on its optical axis?

Rutger
www.amons.net

From: rwalker on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:47:27 +0000, Lobster
<davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
>Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
>Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
>levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
>rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
>of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
>to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
>However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
>the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
>now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
>inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
>If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
>to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
>http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
>Thanks for any tips.
>
>David

In Elements, you should make sure you click on perspective and
advanced blending.
From: David J Taylor on
"Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
[]
> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> David

Try using software designed for the job - for example AutoPano Pro:

http://www.autopano.net/en/

or it's free, but feature restricted precursor:

http://cvlab.epfl.ch/~brown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Cheers,
David

From: ray on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:47:27 +0000, Lobster wrote:

> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
> of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
> to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong? If
> it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how to
> get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> David

I suspect you did not have the rotational axis of the tripod directly
aligned with the nodal point of the lens.