From: Lobster on
I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.

Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.

However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg

Thanks for any tips.

David
From: Chris Malcolm on
Lobster <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.

> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
> of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
> to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.

> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
> If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
> to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.

> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg

Looks like the photomerge function expects you to do all the
perspective adjustments and edge matching by yourself first. There's
plenty of good panorama software which will have a good go at doing
that automatically. Hugin, for example, does that, and is free.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Vance on
On Mar 12, 11:47 am, Lobster <davidlobsterpot...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
> of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
> to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below.  Ignoring other issues for
> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this?  Is it simply due to
> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
> If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
> to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> David

What focal length lens/zoom setting were you using?
Where in the room did you setup?
Dimensions of the room?

Vance
From: Draco on
On Mar 12, 2:47 pm, Lobster <davidlobsterpot...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
> of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
> to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below.  Ignoring other issues for
> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this?  Is it simply due to
> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
> If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
> to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> David

Hello David,
From my point of view, it looks like you didn't swivel on the lens
nodel point. This is where the light come to a point in the lens
before
it "widens" again to cover the "film plane" or digital sensor. It will
give
a tilt to the image and distort the panorama. Also you should over
lap
each shot by at the least 1/3 of the frame. This will give you and the
program more to work with in aligning the images.

Good luck and keep shooting.

Draco
From: Paul Furman on
Chris Malcolm wrote:
> Lobster<davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been playing around with the 'photomerge' function in Photoshop
>> Elements, attempting to take a wide-angle-type view of a room.
>
>> Not having done this before, I stuck my camera on a tripod, which I then
>> levelled as best I could using the built-in spirit leveled) and then
>> rotated the camera to 'portrait' mode. The plan was to do three 'pans'
>> of the room at high., medium and low level, and then merge the results
>> to produce a single photo which could be cropped accordingly.
>
>> However, the results are hopeless, as you can see from the results of
>> the pan at 'middle' height uploaded below. Ignoring other issues for
>> now, the perspective is all wrong - why is this? Is it simply due to
>> inaccurate leveling of the tripod or am I doing something else wrong?
>> If it's a leveling error, it must be so sensitive that I'm not sure how
>> to get it accurate enough to generate satisfactory photos.
>
>> http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1228/panoramah.jpg
>
> Looks like the photomerge function expects you to do all the
> perspective adjustments and edge matching by yourself first. There's
> plenty of good panorama software which will have a good go at doing
> that automatically. Hugin, for example, does that, and is free.

Autostitch is another.

Here's an example showing each frame bent to fit, versus your example
with square edges:
http://eric.jain.name/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/sunshine.jpg

Also, for that kind of indoor shot with lots of depth, you may need to
get a pano head to allow precise rotating about the nodal point. That
becomes more essential when you have foreground elements that could
cause parallax errors. Probably not a big problem for the shot you
showed but could be an issue for similar shots.