From: Big Bill on
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:09:39 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>"Adam R" <bogus.nomail(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On 22 Mar 2005 14:36:33 -0800, "monica" <hotmonica(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>San Diego skyline, taken from Coronado Island,
>>>has become the most printed image.
>>>This was taken by me ofcouse.I have got an awsome
>>>Digital Camera.Hope You Like this Picture.
>>>http://www.focusdaddy.com/free_stuff.html
>> *********************************
>> You incorrectly indentified the location that your picture was taken
>> from. It was actually taken from North Island, home to North Island
>> Naval Air Station and the City of Coronado. The Coronado Islands
>> which are the property of Mexico are about 18 miles to the south of
>> North Island.
>> <<<Adam R>>>
>
>The location identification is correct. It was taken from a small beach
>north of the Ferry Landing in the City of Coronado, which is on Coronado
>Island. I've taken pictures from there, myself. The naval base is called
>"North Island Naval Air Station" because it is on the north end of Coronado
>Island. There is no island called "North Island" in the San Diego area.
>There is, however, a "North Coronado Island" in the Coronado Islands in
>Mexico, to which you refer. There is also a "South Coronado Island."
>Actually "island" is a bit of a misnomer, it is actually a long sand spit
>(Silver Strand) with a big bulge on the end (Coronado Island.)

C'mon, guys, this is a girl(maybe) from Russia who's soliciting for a
boyfriend.
You expect accuracy?
:-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
From: Skip M on
"Big Bill" <bill(a)pipping.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:09:39 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Adam R" <bogus.nomail(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> *********************************
>>> You incorrectly indentified the location that your picture was taken
>>> from. It was actually taken from North Island, home to North Island
>>> Naval Air Station and the City of Coronado. The Coronado Islands
>>> which are the property of Mexico are about 18 miles to the south of
>>> North Island.
>>> <<<Adam R>>>
>>
>>The location identification is correct. It was taken from a small beach
>>north of the Ferry Landing in the City of Coronado, which is on Coronado
>>Island. I've taken pictures from there, myself. The naval base is called
>>"North Island Naval Air Station" because it is on the north end of
>>Coronado
>>Island. There is no island called "North Island" in the San Diego area.
>>There is, however, a "North Coronado Island" in the Coronado Islands in
>>Mexico, to which you refer. There is also a "South Coronado Island."
>>Actually "island" is a bit of a misnomer, it is actually a long sand spit
>>(Silver Strand) with a big bulge on the end (Coronado Island.)
>
> C'mon, guys, this is a girl(maybe) from Russia who's soliciting for a
> boyfriend.
> You expect accuracy?
> :-)
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
Actually, for someone who probably had never been to the spot where the
picture was taken, she did well. It was Adam's comment to which I took
exception. I've lived in San Diego for 47 years, and I'm sure it would come
as a surprise to the founders of the Hotel del Coronado, not to mention
current management, to find that there was no Coronado Island across the bay
from San Diego... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

From: Ron Hunter on
Skip M wrote:
> "Big Bill" <bill(a)pipping.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:09:39 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher(a)cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Adam R" <bogus.nomail(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>>The location identification is correct. It was taken from a small beach
>>>north of the Ferry Landing in the City of Coronado, which is on Coronado
>>>Island. I've taken pictures from there, myself. The naval base is called
>>>"North Island Naval Air Station" because it is on the north end of
>>>Coronado
>>>Island. There is no island called "North Island" in the San Diego area.
>>>There is, however, a "North Coronado Island" in the Coronado Islands in
>>>Mexico, to which you refer. There is also a "South Coronado Island."
>>>Actually "island" is a bit of a misnomer, it is actually a long sand spit
>>>(Silver Strand) with a big bulge on the end (Coronado Island.)
>>
>>C'mon, guys, this is a girl(maybe) from Russia who's soliciting for a
>>boyfriend.
>>You expect accuracy?
>>:-)
>>
>>--
>>Bill Funk
>>Change "g" to "a"
>
> Actually, for someone who probably had never been to the spot where the
> picture was taken, she did well. It was Adam's comment to which I took
> exception. I've lived in San Diego for 47 years, and I'm sure it would come
> as a surprise to the founders of the Hotel del Coronado, not to mention
> current management, to find that there was no Coronado Island across the bay
> from San Diego... ;-)

Not to muddy the waters, but Microsoft Streets and Trips clearly labels
the island 'North Island' on its map.

North Island derived its name from the original geography. In the
nineteenth century, it was referred to as North Coronado Island. In
1886, North and South Coronado Island were purchased by a developer for
development as a residential resort. South Coronado became famous as the
city of Coronado, but fortunately for the Navy, North Coronado was never
developed. Instead, Glen Curtiss opened a flying school and held a lease
to the property until the beginning of World War I.

In point of fact, and examining a map carefully will show you, it is NOT
an island in the first place, but a peninsula.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter(a)charter.net
From: Skip M on
"Ron Hunter" <rphunter(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> Skip M wrote:
>> "Big Bill" <bill(a)pipping.com> wrote in message

>>>C'mon, guys, this is a girl(maybe) from Russia who's soliciting for a
>>>boyfriend.
>>>You expect accuracy?
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>--
>>>Bill Funk
>>>Change "g" to "a"
>>
>> Actually, for someone who probably had never been to the spot where the
>> picture was taken, she did well. It was Adam's comment to which I took
>> exception. I've lived in San Diego for 47 years, and I'm sure it would
>> come as a surprise to the founders of the Hotel del Coronado, not to
>> mention current management, to find that there was no Coronado Island
>> across the bay from San Diego... ;-)
>>

> Not to muddy the waters, but Microsoft Streets and Trips clearly labels
> the island 'North Island' on its map.
>
> North Island derived its name from the original geography. In the
> nineteenth century, it was referred to as North Coronado Island. In 1886,
> North and South Coronado Island were purchased by a developer for
> development as a residential resort. South Coronado became famous as the
> city of Coronado, but fortunately for the Navy, North Coronado was never
> developed. Instead, Glen Curtiss opened a flying school and held a lease
> to the property until the beginning of World War I.
>
> In point of fact, and examining a map carefully will show you, it is NOT
> an island in the first place, but a peninsula.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter(a)charter.net

Back in the late 19th century, it was an island at high tide, what is now
the Silver Strand was a low sandbar that was inundated when the tide was
more than moderately high. It was only at low tide that the sandbar
appeared. The developers dredged San Diego Bay to build up a causeway from
Imperial Beach to the hotel. I remember my dad taking the ferry across the
bay to the "island" to go to work at North Island. And that was in the
early to mid '60s.

From: Frank ess on
Skip M wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> Skip M wrote:
>>> "Big Bill" <bill(a)pipping.com> wrote in message

>>> Actually, for someone who probably had never been to the spot where
>>> the picture was taken, she did well. It was Adam's comment to
>>> which I took exception. I've lived in San Diego for 47 years, and
>>> I'm sure it would come as a surprise to the founders of the Hotel
>>> del Coronado, not to mention current management, to find that there
>>> was no Coronado Island across the bay from San Diego... ;-)
>>>

>> Not to muddy the waters, but Microsoft Streets and Trips clearly
>> labels the island 'North Island' on its map.
>>
>> North Island derived its name from the original geography. In the
>> nineteenth century, it was referred to as North Coronado Island. In
>> 1886, North and South Coronado Island were purchased by a developer
>> for development as a residential resort. South Coronado became
>> famous as the city of Coronado, but fortunately for the Navy, North
>> Coronado was never developed. Instead, Glen Curtiss opened a flying
>> school and held a lease to the property until the beginning of World
>> War I. In point of fact, and examining a map carefully will show you,
>> it is
>> NOT an island in the first place, but a peninsula.
>>

>> --
>> Ron Hunter rphunter(a)charter.net
>
> Back in the late 19th century, it was an island at high tide, what is
> now the Silver Strand was a low sandbar that was inundated when the
> tide was more than moderately high. It was only at low tide that the
> sandbar appeared. The developers dredged San Diego Bay to build up a
> causeway from Imperial Beach to the hotel. I remember my dad taking
> the ferry across the bay to the "island" to go to work at North
> Island. And that was in the early to mid '60s.

The "Nickel Snatcher" ferry operation ended in 1966 or so. I made
certain to take my family on one of its last Coronado-bound trips, in
our 1960 Morris Minor 1000 "Woodie". The ferry appeared in several
movies, including _Battle Cry_.

--
Frank ess