From: Cliff on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:31:38 -0400, "Existential Angst"
<UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Cliff" <Clhuprichguesswhat(a)aoltmovetheperiodc.om> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:09:31 -0400, "Existential Angst"
>> <UNfitcat(a)UNoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>(rice is a super-food,
>>>unbeknownst to most);
>>
>> Most varieties are lacking in specific required amino acids IIRC.
>
>Au contrare.
>Rice has a protein quality on par with chicken and milk, just not as dense.
>Most grains have a high PQ.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-rice.htm
"The protein in rice is considered incomplete because it has lower levels of
some of the essential amino acids."

One of the goals of new rice varieties is to "correct" this (& a few other
things).
Most rice is low in lysine.

--
Cliff
From: Existential Angst on
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Existential Angst wrote:
>>
>> "Cliff" <Clhuprichguesswhat(a)aoltmovetheperiodc.om> wrote in message

>> > Most varieties are lacking in specific required amino acids IIRC.
>>
>> Au contrare.
>> Rice has a protein quality on par with chicken and milk, just not as
>> dense.
>> Most grains have a high PQ.
>>
>> You can just about get all your protein from a heavy rice-based diet,
>> altho
>> an egg or two wouldn't hurt.
>>
>> Potatoes have a miserable PQ, a score of about 11 compared to rice's high
>> 80's.
>

> Rice is OK, if you can digest it. I can only eat small amounts, or it
> just sits in my stomach like gravel.

Cook it more, chew it really really well.
--
EA

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Existential Angst wrote:

> Michael A. Terrell wrote:
> >
> > Rice is OK, if you can digest it. I can only eat small amounts, or it
> > just sits in my stomach like gravel.
>
> Cook it more, chew it really really well.

I can cook it in distilled water till it's soggy, and chew the
daylights out of it. I just can't digest much of it. the only way I can
eat it anymore is in soup. If I use more than a half cup in a 5.5 Quart
crock pot I have the same problems, and I cook the soup for four to
eight hours. 40 years ago I could eat it with no problems.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Cliff on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:45:21 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

http://books.google.com/books?id=zVxde3jOUjMC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=rice+indigestible+proteins&source=web&ots=OS0OWEFiBI&sig=7O4QEt9QLjbmO2yub3zzELIhSWU#v=onepage&q=rice%20indigestible%20proteins&f=false