From: tm on
On 20 Jul., 14:47, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> tm wrote:
> > On 20 Jul., 05:15, Joè... <johnjac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello, Greetings to All...
>
> >> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
> >> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
> >> software.
>
> > [snip]
>
> >> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
> >> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
>
> > SQL in this context is unusual.
>
> No, it isn't.

At least operating systems like Linux and Windows don't
use a database like ORACLE or DB2 to manage the
process list. So a db to manage processes is at least
in this case something unusual.

> > Probably you had a simplified
> > SQL API in mind, since a database seems a little bit heavy
> > for a task manager.
>
> Not at all. This is, in fact, a very good way for a neophyte programmer
> to become more familiar with SQL, and it's a very good application for a
> database.

Ok. I just wanted to point out something different.
Some people are so used to databases that they want
to use it for everything. You know: For the owner of a
hammer everything looks like a nail.

> >> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
> >> setups)
>
> > Normally the term portable is used when Linux, BSD, UNIX and
> > MAC OS are also supported.
>
> Evidently you occupy a very small universe. If a program were /only/
> portable to such a limited range of platforms, I would hesitate to use
> the word "portable".

Okay, okay, I got your point. :-)
I forgot to mention that my OS list is not complete...

> > I know that you are talking
> > about support of different versions of windows but this is
> > not really portability in the common sense.
>
> > A portable windows application seems like
> > a contradiction in terms.
>
> Well, by /your/ definition of "portable" it's pretty easy to get
> portable windowing - GTK+, for example, or Qt.

My definition of "portable" is not carved in stone. Of cause
there are other computers like mainframes, mobile
phones and much more...

> >> Note: I'm an not a regular programmer. Though I was passionate about
> >> programming in good old college days, now - after 7 years, I've lost
> >> touch.
>
> > I suggest you start with something simpler to get in touch
> > with programming again.
>
> I strongly disagree with this. It's a very nice little program to help a
> former programmer to get his hand back in.

A look at SourceForge reveals that many programming
projects are started, but never actually take off. From
this evidence I conclude that programmers are in danger
to overestimate their power.

> Sig blocks are separated from the main text of your article by the
> character string "-- \n" (i.e. two minuses, a space, and a newline).
> This is really easy to understand, ...

Thank you for this information. Is the space after the two
minuses really necessary? I just wonder because in your
Sig block this space seems missing.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
tm <thomas.mertes(a)gmx.at> writes:

>> Sig blocks are separated from the main text of your article by the
>> character string "-- \n" (i.e. two minuses, a space, and a newline).
>> This is really easy to understand, ...
>
> Thank you for this information. Is the space after the two
> minuses really necessary? I just wonder because in your
> Sig block this space seems missing.

Yes, it's really necessary.

No, it wasn't missing in Richard's sig, but it's missing from yours.

From: Willem on
Richard Heathfield wrote:
) Jo?... wrote:
)> Hello, Greetings to All...
)>
)> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
)> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
)> software. After trying out a couple of freewares, none of them could
)> perfectly fit into my requirements. So I'm now thinking of building
)> one for myself or adapting one from an open source program available.
)>
)> Given below are the features I am looking forward to have in the
)> program.
)> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
)> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
)> - It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
)> entries.
)> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
)> setups)
)> - It should have the capability to run from tray
)>
)> Could you suggest what is the best platform (FE & BE) which I can use
)> to build this thought into a program?
)
) For all of the above requirements except the last (running from the
) tray), I'd have suggested PHP with mysql at the back.

For the last, you could implement an RSS feed in PHP and use any old
RSS tray applet to access the task list et cetera. Depending on the
requirements on the tray applet of course.

So, I second the mysql/php approach.

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT
From: tm on
On 20 Jul., 17:15, p...(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> tm <thomas.mer...(a)gmx.at> writes:
> >> Sig blocks are separated from the main text of your article by the
> >> character string "-- \n" (i.e. two minuses, a space, and a newline).
> >> This is really easy to understand, ...
>
> > Thank you for this information. Is the space after the two
> > minuses really necessary? I just wonder because in your
> > Sig block this space seems missing.
>
> Yes, it's really necessary.
>
> No, it wasn't missing in  Richard's sig, but it's missing from yours.

I watch this from Google groups and from here I cannot
see any space behind the two minus signs of any sig.
Maybe Google groups removes spaces at the end of a
line...

Hopefully I manage to write a correct sig this time.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

--
Seed7 Homepage:  http://seed7.sourceforge.net
From: Richard Heathfield on
tm wrote:
> On 20 Jul., 14:47, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
>> tm wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> SQL in this context is unusual.
>> No, it isn't.
>
> At least operating systems like Linux and Windows don't
> use a database like ORACLE or DB2 to manage the
> process list. So a db to manage processes is at least
> in this case something unusual.

It would be unusual (or even unheard of) for something as low-level as
an OS to use something as big as an RDBMS to manage a task as low-level
as process scheduling. But he's not talking about an OS. He's talking
about a glorified to-do list - a high-level personal time management
program. The alternative to using a database engine here is to write his
own database engine.

>>> Probably you had a simplified
>>> SQL API in mind, since a database seems a little bit heavy
>>> for a task manager.
>> Not at all. This is, in fact, a very good way for a neophyte programmer
>> to become more familiar with SQL, and it's a very good application for a
>> database.
>
> Ok. I just wanted to point out something different.

Fair enough.

> Some people are so used to databases that they want
> to use it for everything. You know: For the owner of a
> hammer everything looks like a nail.

And there's a good reason that people are used to databases. Computers
are not just about data processing, but also about data management, and
databases make data management much less difficult (which is why they
were invented).

<snip>

>>> I suggest you start with something simpler to get in touch
>>> with programming again.
>> I strongly disagree with this. It's a very nice little program to help a
>> former programmer to get his hand back in.
>
> A look at SourceForge reveals that many programming
> projects are started, but never actually take off. From
> this evidence I conclude that programmers are in danger
> to overestimate their power.
>
>> Sig blocks are separated from the main text of your article by the
>> character string "-- \n" (i.e. two minuses, a space, and a newline).
>> This is really easy to understand, ...
>
> Thank you for this information. Is the space after the two
> minuses really necessary?

Yes. It's part of the spec, and newsreaders do look for it.

I just wonder because in your
> Sig block this space seems missing.

If it were truly missing, your newsreader would (probably) not have
automatically removed my sig block from your reply text.

> Greetings Thomas Mertes
>
> --
> Seed7 Homepage: http://seed7.sourceforge.net
> Seed7 - The extensible programming language: User defined statements
> and operators, abstract data types, templates without special
> syntax, OO with interfaces and multiple dispatch, statically typed,
> interpreted or compiled, portable, runs under linux/unix/windows.

If you had followed the -- with a space character before the newline, my
newsreader would have automatically removed your sig block from my reply
text. Since you didn't, it didn't. Normally I would have removed it
myself (i.e. manually), and tut-tutted whilst doing so. For context's
sake, though, I left it in on this occasion.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within