From: Joè... on
Hello, Greetings to All...

I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
software. After trying out a couple of freewares, none of them could
perfectly fit into my requirements. So I'm now thinking of building
one for myself or adapting one from an open source program available.

Given below are the features I am looking forward to have in the
program.
- It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
- It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
entries.
- It should be portable between windows system (without needing
setups)
- It should have the capability to run from tray

Could you suggest what is the best platform (FE & BE) which I can use
to build this thought into a program?

Note: I'm an not a regular programmer. Though I was passionate about
programming in good old college days, now - after 7 years, I've lost
touch.

Thanks in Advance,
Joe.
From: tm on
On 20 Jul., 05:15, Joè... <johnjac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Greetings to All...
>
> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
> software.

[snip]

> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)

SQL in this context is unusual. Probably you had a simplified
SQL API in mind, since a database seems a little bit heavy
for a task manager.

> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
> setups)

Normally the term portable is used when Linux, BSD, UNIX and
MAC OS are also supported. I know that you are talking
about support of different versions of windows but this is
not really portability in the common sense.

A portable windows application seems like
a contradiction in terms.

> Note: I'm an not a regular programmer. Though I was passionate about
> programming in good old college days, now - after 7 years, I've lost
> touch.

I suggest you start with something simpler to get in touch
with programming again.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

From: P. Lepin on

tm wrote:
> On 20 Jul., 05:15, Joè... <johnjac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
>> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
>> software.
>
>> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
>> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
>
> SQL in this context is unusual. Probably you had a simplified
> SQL API in mind, since a database seems a little bit heavy
> for a task manager.

I have to disagree. In my experience, SQLite or an embedded version of one
of the open source SQL servers seems to be a fairly common choice (not
unusual by any rate) for persistence in single user desktop apps.

>> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
>> setups)
>
> Normally the term portable is used when Linux, BSD, UNIX and
> MAC OS are also supported. I know that you are talking
> about support of different versions of windows but this is
> not really portability in the common sense.
>
> A portable windows application seems like
> a contradiction in terms.

I believe many Windows users with little cross platform experience,
especially non-techies, use this adjective to refer to the applications
capable of running from, and storing their state on a flash drive or
another similar portable storage device. This is the "portability" the OP
seems to be referring to.

>> Note: I'm an not a regular programmer. Though I was passionate about
>> programming in good old college days, now - after 7 years, I've lost
>> touch.
>
> I suggest you start with something simpler to get in touch
> with programming again.

No arguing with that.

--
P. Lepin
From: Richard Heathfield on
tm wrote:
> On 20 Jul., 05:15, Jo�... <johnjac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello, Greetings to All...
>>
>> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
>> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
>> software.
>
> [snip]
>
>> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
>> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
>
> SQL in this context is unusual.

No, it isn't.

> Probably you had a simplified
> SQL API in mind, since a database seems a little bit heavy
> for a task manager.

Not at all. This is, in fact, a very good way for a neophyte programmer
to become more familiar with SQL, and it's a very good application for a
database.

>> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
>> setups)
>
> Normally the term portable is used when Linux, BSD, UNIX and
> MAC OS are also supported.

Evidently you occupy a very small universe. If a program were /only/
portable to such a limited range of platforms, I would hesitate to use
the word "portable".

> I know that you are talking
> about support of different versions of windows but this is
> not really portability in the common sense.
>
> A portable windows application seems like
> a contradiction in terms.

Well, by /your/ definition of "portable" it's pretty easy to get
portable windowing - GTK+, for example, or Qt.

>> Note: I'm an not a regular programmer. Though I was passionate about
>> programming in good old college days, now - after 7 years, I've lost
>> touch.
>
> I suggest you start with something simpler to get in touch
> with programming again.

I strongly disagree with this. It's a very nice little program to help a
former programmer to get his hand back in.

> Greetings Thomas Mertes
>
> Seed7 Homepage: http://seed7.sourceforge.net

Sig blocks are separated from the main text of your article by the
character string "-- \n" (i.e. two minuses, a space, and a newline).
This is really easy to understand, and in fact even newsreaders can
understand it (and do understand it, stripping sig blocks from replies).
If you would be so kind as to modify your sig block so as to make it
recognisable to newsreading software, that would be good and
public-spirited of you, and there are those of us who would appreciate it.

<snip>

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: Richard Heathfield on
Jo�... wrote:
> Hello, Greetings to All...
>
> I'm here to get some inputs on a "thought" I have. Since few years I
> had been feeling the need for a Personal Task Manager program/
> software. After trying out a couple of freewares, none of them could
> perfectly fit into my requirements. So I'm now thinking of building
> one for myself or adapting one from an open source program available.
>
> Given below are the features I am looking forward to have in the
> program.
> - It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
> - It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
> entries.
> - It should be portable between windows system (without needing
> setups)
> - It should have the capability to run from tray
>
> Could you suggest what is the best platform (FE & BE) which I can use
> to build this thought into a program?

For all of the above requirements except the last (running from the
tray), I'd have suggested PHP with mysql at the back. This application
has got "web site" written all over it. Having said that, if you would
prefer to stick it on a pen and carry it around with you (and there's
something to be said for that), you could do worse than C++ Builder,
which makes front end programming easier than falling off a log, and the
back end db stuff isn't *too* scary.