From: mike on
In article <76def50c-6134-4571-be7e-b908851e37a0
@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, thomas.mertes(a)gmx.at says...

> I watch this from Google groups and from here I cannot
> see any space behind the two minus signs of any sig.
> Maybe Google groups removes spaces at the end of a
> line...
>
> Hopefully I manage to write a correct sig this time.

Nope!

--

Mike
From: Joè... on
Thank you all for replying!
Special thanks to Richard for giving some direct suggestions!!

I'd like to clarify few of my requirements based on replies to this
post:

1) It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
(The reason behind this need is laziness :) I know SQL and I have a
data model in mind. So I assumed that using SQL (need not be on a DB,
any data repository would do) would be an easier option. One thing to
keep in mind is that what ever data repository being used should not
demand a setup in all the systems that I take this program to)

- It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
entries.
(This had no questions asked)

- It should be portable between windows system (without needing
setups)
(As some of you correctly guessed, what I had in my mind is to carry
this application around in my pen drive from where I could run the
program to use it in different computers. and do this such that when I
launch the program in any computer, I'd be using the latest data.
Remember this is intended for only one user and needs to be deployed
only at one place - my pen drive)

- It should have the capability to run from tray
(Objective behind this is to have reminders. i.e, Wherever the program
is running, it should have the capability to give me popup reminders
of tasks)

At the moment, I understand that I could use C++ Builder and from what
I got by googling is C++ Builder is a RAD tool. Would this also
suggest the backend?

I'd appreciate more suggestions!! Please pour in your knowledge.

Thank You,
Joe.
From: Joè... on
Thank you all for replying!
Special thanks to Richard for giving some direct suggestions!!

I'd like to clarify few of my requirements based on replies to this
post:

1) It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)
(The reason behind this need is laziness :) I know SQL and I have a
data model in mind. So I assumed that using SQL (need not be on a DB,
any data repository would do) would be an easier option. One thing to
keep in mind is that what ever data repository being used should not
demand a setup in all the systems that I take this program to)

2) It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
entries.
(This had no questions asked)

3) It should be portable between windows system (without needing
setups)
(As some of you correctly guessed, what I had in my mind is to carry
this application around in my pen drive from where I could run the
program to use it in different computers. and do this such that when
launch the program in any computer, I'd be using the latest data.
Remember this is intended for only one user and needs to be deployed
only at one place - my pen drive)

4) It should have the capability to run from tray

From: Richard Heathfield on
Jo�... wrote:
> Thank you all for replying!
> Special thanks to Richard for giving some direct suggestions!!
>
> I'd like to clarify few of my requirements based on replies to this
> post:
>

> 1) It should have a backend/data repository on which SQL like queries
> can be run (I have a data model ready in mind)

Further to my C++ Builder suggestion, it includes a database engine that
supports SQL queries - and, if you were bored enough, you could design
the code in such a way as to build a query statement at runtime. If you
were not bored enough to do that, though, you could simply embed SQL
commands in the code (although this does require a certain amount of
research to get it working).

> (The reason behind this need is laziness :) I know SQL and I have a
> data model in mind. So I assumed that using SQL (need not be on a DB,
> any data repository would do) would be an easier option. One thing to
> keep in mind is that what ever data repository being used should not
> demand a setup in all the systems that I take this program to)

I can't answer that question for C++ Builder (although I *think* the
answer is that you don't need to run a setup); you'd be better off
asking in a Borland forum (check if the borland.public servers are still
running).

> 2) It should have a good front end where the user can make/edit/view
> entries.
> (This had no questions asked)

C++ Builder can make exceptionally bad front ends, and exceptionally
good front ends, and everything in between. It's all down to you. But it
does do a huge amount of the work for you - you can practically /draw/
the interface. Easier than falling off a log.

> 3) It should be portable between windows system (without needing
> setups)
> (As some of you correctly guessed, what I had in my mind is to carry
> this application around in my pen drive from where I could run the
> program to use it in different computers. and do this such that when
> launch the program in any computer, I'd be using the latest data.

Then presumably you'll be keeping the data on your pen. In fact, the
best thing to do is run the program from the pen. It's a relatively
small, light program with relatively little data, so performance will
almost certainly not be an issue unless you make it one by choosing bad
algorithms (and you won't do that, will you?).

> 4) It should have the capability to run from tray
> (Objective behind this is to have reminders. i.e, Wherever the
> program
> is running, it should have the capability to give me popup reminders
> of tasks)

You don't need the systray for that. You just need to start the program
and minimise it.

> At the moment, I understand that I could use C++ Builder and from
> what
> I got by googling is C++ Builder is a RAD tool. Would this also
> suggest the backend?

Very much so. C++ Builder (often called BCB) contains an
enterprise-quality RDBMS which will certainly meet your needs if you can
figure out how to use it.

> I'd appreciate more suggestions!! Please pour in your knowledge.

Don't nail your colours to the BCB mast without at least thinking about
whether you could do this in PHP and mysql.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within