From: AES on
In article
<tkettler-DCE5D0.22105604082010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
"Thomas R. Kettler" <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:

> > Adding .flv suffix and upgrading VLC made the downloaded videos playable.
>
> Did you try to play them with QuickTime Player? You should be able since
> you indicated you had Perian.

Just tried -- the downloaded file (with suffix added) could be opened
with QT Player; QT display window ("movie screen") opened; indicator
started moving across the progress bar at the bottom; heard the sound;
but no video image appeared.

(Note: I'm still on Tiger, and may not have the very latest Perian
update.)
From: Thomas R. Kettler on
In article <siegman-9798AF.02015505082010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article
> <tkettler-DCE5D0.22105604082010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> "Thomas R. Kettler" <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:
>

> > > Adding .flv suffix and upgrading VLC made the downloaded videos playable.
> >
> > Did you try to play them with QuickTime Player? You should be able since
> > you indicated you had Perian.
>
> Just tried -- the downloaded file (with suffix added) could be opened
> with QT Player; QT display window ("movie screen") opened; indicator
> started moving across the progress bar at the bottom; heard the sound;
> but no video image appeared.
>
> (Note: I'm still on Tiger, and may not have the very latest Perian
> update.)

The most recent version of Perian is 1.2.1. You can have it download
from the Perian window of System Preferences after running a Check For
Updates.

I have yet to have a Flash .flv video fail to provide a video image
w/Perian. What is the source of this one?
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
From: AES on
> In article <siegman-9798AF.02015505082010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
> AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you try to play them with QuickTime Player? You should be able since
> > > you indicated you had Perian.
> >
> > Just tried -- the downloaded file (with suffix added) could be opened
> > with QT Player; QT display window ("movie screen") opened; indicator
> > started moving across the progress bar at the bottom; heard the sound;
> > but no video image appeared.
> >
> > (Note: I'm still on Tiger, and may not have the very latest Perian
> > update.)
>
> The most recent version of Perian is 1.2.1. You can have it download
> from the Perian window of System Preferences after running a Check For
> Updates.
>
> I have yet to have a Flash .flv video fail to provide a video image
> w/Perian. What is the source of this one?

Bringing up the Perian prefs file after making the above try showed that
I had Perian 1.1.1 on my MacBook, which is still under Tiger (10.4.11).
The "Automtically Update" checkbox was checked, and clicking on the
"Check for Updates" button caused it to highlight momentarily but no
further results.

I went directly to the Perian web site, downloaded 1.2.1, and installed
it (very quick and smooth, no problems). The video now plays in Quick
Time Player.

So, thanks for advice, and thanks to the Perian project (I may send a
modest donation).

Source for the video is

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVazhu1_B-g&feature=related>

It's apparently a very early B&W movie of early skiers on Donner Summit
in California, converted to video. The opening shot shows skiers
exiting one of the abandoned snowsheds in a section of the
transcontinental RR over Donner Summit near Sugar Bowl that's now
bypassed by a tunnel (it's an area I've prowled a bit in the winter
myself), followed by some pretty nice telemarking down toward Donner
Lake. I'd love to have more details on when it was taken and who the
skiers are.
From: Thomas R. Kettler on
In article
<siegman-2F67DD.11294207082010(a)bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > Just tried -- the downloaded file (with suffix added) could be opened
> > > with QT Player; QT display window ("movie screen") opened; indicator
> > > started moving across the progress bar at the bottom; heard the sound;
> > > but no video image appeared.
> > >
> > > (Note: I'm still on Tiger, and may not have the very latest Perian
> > > update.)
> >
> > The most recent version of Perian is 1.2.1. You can have it download
> > from the Perian window of System Preferences after running a Check For
> > Updates.
> >
> > I have yet to have a Flash .flv video fail to provide a video image
> > w/Perian. What is the source of this one?
>

> Bringing up the Perian prefs file after making the above try showed that
> I had Perian 1.1.1 on my MacBook, which is still under Tiger (10.4.11).
> The "Automtically Update" checkbox was checked, and clicking on the
> "Check for Updates" button caused it to highlight momentarily but no
> further results.
>
> I went directly to the Perian web site, downloaded 1.2.1, and installed
> it (very quick and smooth, no problems). The video now plays in Quick
> Time Player.
>
> So, thanks for advice, and thanks to the Perian project (I may send a
> modest donation).
>
> Source for the video is
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVazhu1_B-g&feature=related>
>
> It's apparently a very early B&W movie of early skiers on Donner Summit
> in California, converted to video. The opening shot shows skiers
> exiting one of the abandoned snowsheds in a section of the
> transcontinental RR over Donner Summit near Sugar Bowl that's now
> bypassed by a tunnel (it's an area I've prowled a bit in the winter
> myself), followed by some pretty nice telemarking down toward Donner
> Lake. I'd love to have more details on when it was taken and who the
> skiers are.

I'm glad that you were able to get it to work.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.