From: Roger 2008 on

"Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" <no(a)emails.please> wrote in message

> yup, most mobile service providers give out internal addresses by default,
> meaning no inbound traffic.

I pay $3.00 extra a month for a Static IP address on my Sprint phone and I
still have problems using that IP address for a web server on my phone. BTW
now I have to figure out how to change the routing in a router so only one
IP address can get through to the computers attached to it.

> If it's important that you access your stuff via a mobile connection,
> there're some workarounds:

I'm happy with pcAnywhere for Mobile and Remote Desktop Mobile. FYI I think
I downloaded Remote Desktop Mobile from a link you provided.

> - if no HTTP is needed, LogMeIn has some packages for remote access.
> - there may be other clients too

What does LogMeIn do that pcAnywhere for Mobile or Remote Desktop Mobile
can't do? BTW I have used the patches for XP home so Remote Desktop Mobile
would work with it. Then I removed those patches from XP Home so I could
install SP3 but now that XP is nearing the end of it's life cycle I might
just put those patches back in.

> - Sprint may offer "server" or "business" data plans with fix and fully
> opened IP's

What confuses me is Sprint will sell you a Static IP address for a MiFi card
for $10.00 a month and they will sell you a Static IP address for a phone
for $3.00 a month. Why are they different prices? It sort of looks like
the $10.00 a month is for an opened Static IP address and the $3.00 month is
for a nearly worthless Static IP address.

Now back to vxWeb.

I talked to a person at Cambridge Computer Corp this morning and he told me
how to edit the vxWeb.txt file so now it works with the HTML files on the
Stortage Card.

I left vxWeb running all day today. It was connected via WiFi to a router
where port 80 was forwarded to the PPC so I could access it from the
Internet and I told three other people how to check it out too.

I'm still going to see if I happen to have the source for a web server for
CE one of these days because there are things I'd like to do with it.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> Might it be possible to use a different port?

I tried to run vxWeb on port 80 which is the normal port, port 8080 and port
30 and they all worked on a WiFi connection but none of those ports worked
through Sprint. I wasn't about to continue looking for an open port because
it is possible Sprint locked them all out.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 17 May 2010 11:56:12 -0600 Roger 2008 wrote:
> I'm know I'm posting to the wrong group but maybe someone can point me
> where to go.
>
> I'd like to try to turn a pocket PC into a mini web server. I've got a
> way to compile programs for Windows CE and I've setup Windows XP
> Professional to work as a small web server so I have some idea on what
> to do.
>
> From all the searching I've done all I can find is software for an
> Android phone that does something like I'm looking for but nothing for
> a WM6 pocket PC. Any ideas?
>
> TIA

I set up my WinMo phone as a web server once, just for grins. I used
this:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/MWS/ppc.html
It worked just great.

They have a "Free Access Service" you use with a DynDNS account to get
around the cellular company's block of incoming connections. I'm no
networking expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it works
by pointing the DynDNS site name you choose to a "connector" server
Sphinx-soft runs, and you configure the server on the PPC to point to it
as well. Now requests to the server are "outgoing" for both ends- your
files aren't stored on the connector server, it's just a meeting place
for the connection.

The basic server software and Access connector are free for personal use,
and there's an upgraded server software with more features and
customization for $25.

They also make a self-contained version than runs directly on U3 flash
drives, so you can turn any handy PC into a server just by plugging the
flash drive in. The software and server content all reside on the drive.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

> I set up my WinMo phone as a web server once, just for grins. I used
> this:
> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/MWS/ppc.html
> It worked just great.

Thanks for the link and to tell the truth I wanted to find out two things.

1. After messing with WMWiFiRouter and seeing it had a way to forward ports
I wanted to find out for sure if Sprint was blocking incoming ports even
with a Static IP address on my phone and it looks like they still block
those ports.

2. To find a way to put up a web server that doesn't make any noise
whatsoever. I have looked into using a netbook with a flash drive but the
fan in the netbook was too loud. I ended up using an old slow laptop
because it made less noise than a netbook with a flash drive.

BTW the vxWeb mentioned by Werner was pretty cool but it needed 3 things
before I'd use it regularly.

1. A way to blank the screen. FYI WMWiFiRouter lets you blank the screen
when you use it so it should be possible.

2. A way to tell it only to respond to a specific domain name just like you
can do with Windows XP Professional.

3. A way to e-mail or send the log files somewhere else to avoid writing
too much data to a flash drive.

As a side note I found this about vxWeb
"vxWeb Can Be Crashed By Remote Users"
http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2005/Sep/1014910.html

But they are talking about vxWeb version 1.1.4 and I have version 1.1.8 so
it could be fixed.

From: Beverly Howard on
Asked the question since the op seems to be wanting this for an
exceptional use... i.e. a close group of followers, and, if it would
work, simply adding the port to the ip would be simple.

Beverly Howard