From: Werner Ruotsalainen Werner on
BTW, in the meantime, I've played quite a bit with the free (!) Web server
ServersMan available at http://serversman.com/promo/promo_wm_en.html . I've
found it excellent. If you do enable public Web access (it's disabled by
default), it can function as a Web server for anyone. What's better, it does
NOT require a direct IP and works even via firewalled connections. A MUST
try, I'd say.

Note that I could only test it on the iPhone (have left most my WinMo phones
at work and it's 1AM here and didn't want to wait until tomorrow with writing
this reply); nevertheless, the WinMo version is stated to have the same
functionality as that of the iPhone. I can't guarantee this, though. Let me
know if you have any problem running it and I'll investigate it too ASAP.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> Asked the question since the op seems to be wanting this for an
> exceptional use... i.e. a close group of followers, and, if it would
> work, simply adding the port to the ip would be simple.

No. Adding a port to the IP is not simple because I screwed it up. Here,
I'll show you what I did wrong.

If you put this into the address bar of IE 8.0 it will display google's home
page
209.85.225.105

But it you put this into the address bar of IE 8.0 it will *not* display
google's home page
209.85.225.105:80

What you have to do to get the IP address:port to work is add the http:// to
the front of it so the following will display google's home page
http://209.85.225.105:80

What that means is when I tried port 30 and when I tried port 8080 they both
really worked but I put the IP address:port into the browser wrong. The way
I finally figured out the problem was use a port scanner that Werner
mentioned two days ago on another thread called vxUtil. So once again
thanks Werner.

The bottom line is Sprint blocks port 80 on a Static IP address but they do
not block ports 30 or 8080 so I can use vxWeb with a Sprint phone but not on
port 80.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Werner Ruotsalainen" <Werner Ruotsalainen(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:BDE0D4E5-AECA-4CEC-B009-112AA1C54D6C(a)microsoft.com...
> BTW, in the meantime, I've played quite a bit with the free (!) Web server
> ServersMan available at http://serversman.com/promo/promo_wm_en.html .
I've
> found it excellent. If you do enable public Web access (it's disabled by
> default), it can function as a Web server for anyone. What's better, it
does
> NOT require a direct IP and works even via firewalled connections. A MUST
> try, I'd say.
>
> Note that I could only test it on the iPhone (have left most my WinMo
phones
> at work and it's 1AM here and didn't want to wait until tomorrow with
writing
> this reply); nevertheless, the WinMo version is stated to have the same
> functionality as that of the iPhone. I can't guarantee this, though. Let
me
> know if you have any problem running it and I'll investigate it too ASAP.

I ended up buying a copy of vxWeb after I found out that I can use it with
the Static IP I have with Sprint as long as I don't try to use it on port
80.

Plus, if I use the Sprint network instead of WiFi then vxWeb will run with
the screen off.

From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" on
just a quick follow-up:I've thoroughly tested it on my iPAQ 210. Works
just great, highly recommended!

=?Utf-8?B?V2VybmVyIFJ1b3RzYWxhaW5lbg==?= <Werner

From: Roger 2008 on

"Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" <no(a)emails.please> wrote in message

> > http://serversman.com/promo/promo_wm_en.html
>
> just a quick follow-up:I've thoroughly tested it on my iPAQ 210. Works
> just great, highly recommended!

Cool. That means I could put a link on that website that goes to a website
that might be running on my phone.

BTW I did some testing this morning and learned "Internet Sharing" does not
forward any ports and both PDANet and WMWiFiRouter forward all ports from my
phone to a connected device so I could use a laptop or a netbook connected
to my phone for as web server.