From: Pen on
"drw4e" <no(a)spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Anybody know if Dell uses a standard motherboard connection from the
> power supply or is it proprietary?

The 8300 is standard ATX.

From: PC Medic on

>I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for the
> weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out that
> the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, just
> complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click. I
> get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues to
> blink even without pushing the button.
>
> I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable was
> plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do.
> Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked.

This is the symptom that usually accompanies a failed power supply.
If you have access to another (PS) you could try as they are standard in the
8300, it would confirm this.

From: drw4e on
Just a quick update, the computer is actually an 8400. I tried two
other power supplies and they did no match up with the mother board.
The connectors on the other power supplies had 20 pins while the Dell
connector has 24 pins. I'm guessing it's proprietary to Dell. I'll
check Dell or ebay to see what I can find unless you guys have other
suggestions.

From: w_tom on
Be very careful when wildly replacing things. Some may appear to be
identical - only to create more damage later. Just another reason to
first take those two minutes to collect simple measurement rather than
'hope' a shotgun approach does not cause more damage. Some connectors
with same number of pins may put one voltage on the wrong pin. Color
and pin numbers for standard ATX supplies must match.

That simple measurement procedure would help confirm whether a new
supply is compatible as well as save time. How long did it take to
swap a power supply? Collecting numbers with a multimeter should take
about two minutes.

Pictures of standard connectors that may also help - to avoid more
damage:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

From: S.Lewis on

> Just a quick update, the computer is actually an 8400. I tried two
> other power supplies and they did no match up with the mother board.
> The connectors on the other power supplies had 20 pins while the Dell
> connector has 24 pins. I'm guessing it's proprietary to Dell. I'll
> check Dell or ebay to see what I can find unless you guys have other
> suggestions.

The Dim8400 has a (24-pin) BTX power supply. These are now becoming
industry standard. The Dim8300 had a standard (20-pins) P1 connect.....

Stew