From: drw4e on
I shut down my Dell Dimension 8300 on Friday when I went away for the
weekend and tried to turn it back on last night only to find out that
the power light blinks. Nothing turns on, no fan, no hard drive, just
complete silence. When I unplug the tower, there's a single click. I
get the same click when I plug it back in and the light continues to
blink even without pushing the button.

I checked the manual and it said to make sure the processor cable was
plugged into the motherboard, which it is. Not sure what else to do.
Any ideas? The computer's only 1.5 years old, so I'm kind of ticked.

From: Ted Zieglar on
I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you had what the power
protection companies call a "power event". In your case, it was a power
surge that burned your power supply and/or motherboard. The 'click' is an
electric spark. I think you should have your computer examined by a
technician. I also think it's time to consider a UPS, or to reconsider the
one you have now.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

From: S.Lewis on

"Ted Zieglar" <teddy.z(a)notmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you had what the power
> protection companies call a "power event". In your case, it was a power
> surge that burned your power supply and/or motherboard. The 'click' is an
> electric spark. I think you should have your computer examined by a
> technician. I also think it's time to consider a UPS, or to reconsider the
> one you have now.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."

Ditto to Ted's remarks, if you DO have a UPS/surge, trying plugging the
system directly to the wall just to verify the UPS itself. If it's already
plugged to the wall, you're going to need to get your hands dirty or hire
someone to do it for you and find out specifically what has gacked.

Stew

From: Fixer on
Aflashing amber light requires a new Power supply problem and or motherboard
its a known problem with Dell so if its under warranty just make the call if
not then look on ebay for parts

From: drw4e on
Thanks for the help so far.

Anybody know if Dell uses a standard motherboard connection from the
power supply or is it proprietary?