From: Rod Speed on
Abhishek Srivastava <abhishek.srivastava78(a)gmail.com> wrote

> I'm still using a computer that I assembled around 5 yrs back. It has a
> 1.4 GHz P4 processor and an Intel 850 GB board. The problem is that
> the Power Supply stopped working a few days back. I went to hunt for
> it in the hardware stores here and none of them have the obsolete
> power supply anymore.

> Somebody told me that I can use the same Power Supply Unit
> that is being used in the contemporary systems.
>
> The only problem is that the 850 GB board had to be supplied power
> through 3 connectors(One for the board, one for the processor and one
> which seems to be or the IDE controllers, pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Most likely it has a 20 pin main power connector, a square 4 pin
connector that supplys 12V for the cpu, and the older 6 pin aux
connector, 6 pins in one linear row. That has extra 3.3V and 5V lines.
That last isnt for the IDE controllers.

> The latest power supply units have only two power connectors for
> the board, and the one for the IDE controllers seems to be missing.

Yes, that 6 pin aux power connector isnt used much anymore.

> Can I use a new power supply unit for my board?

Nope.

You can still get power supplys with that 6 pin aux power connector.

From: Rod Speed on
Mike T. <noway(a)nohow.not> wrote
> Abhishek Srivastava <abhishek.srivastava78(a)gmail.com> wrote

>> I'm still using a computer that I assembled around 5 yrs back. It has a 1.4 GHz P4 processor and
>> an Intel 850 GB board. The problem is that
>> the Power Supply stopped working a few days back. I went to hunt for
>> it in the hardware stores here and none of them have the obsolete
>> power supply anymore.

>> Somebody told me that I can use the same Power Supply Unit that is
>> being used in the contemporary systems.

>> The only problem is that the 850 GB board had to be supplied power
>> through 3 connectors(One for the board, one for the processor and one
>> which seems to be or the IDE controllers, pls correct me if I'm
>> wrong). The latest power supply units have only two power connectors
>> for the board, and the one for the IDE controllers seems to be
>> missing.

>> Can I use a new power supply unit for my board?

>> Any help will be greatly appreciated as Intel has stopped supporting
>> my board.

> It seems you have four choices:

5 actually.

> 1) Search for the exact model number of power supply on ebay. You might be surprised to find a
> new one, reasonably priced.

No need to get that one exactly, just another that has the 6 pin aux power connector.

> 2) If you can find the specs. of the third connector, you could
> always cut that connector off of the old power supply, and splice it
> onto any new power supply. Power supplies generally supply +12V, +5V or +3.3V. So if you can
> find out what voltage is on what cable of the third connector, it should be easy to find a source
> of that
> voltage (and ground) to tap into, on any current power supply.

It would be stupid to go that route, there are still power
supplys which have the older 6 pin aux power connector.

> 3) Kind of a long-shot, but you might be able to find an adapter to hook up to any current power
> supply to give you the 3rd connector you need.

> 4) Best suggestion:

Nope. The best suggestion is actually 5) buy a power
supply which has that 6 pin aux power connector.

> Considering the age of the system, it is likely that it won't last much longer, even if you do
> happen to get it powered up again.

Oh bullshit.

> I'd suggest you replace it with a cheap barebone system, one with onboard video if your current
> video adapter is too
> old to be supported by current mainboards. This might not cost much more than a decent power
> supply anyway.

More bullshit.

> One example follows, just add RAM and move your disk drives into the new case:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2456829&Sku=G452-2548%20E

Lot more expensive than a power supply which has that 6 pin aux power connector.

From: Rod Speed on
spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
> Abhishek Srivastava wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm still using a computer that I assembled around 5 yrs back. It
>> has a 1.4 GHz P4 processor and an Intel 850 GB board. The problem is that
>> the Power Supply stopped working a few days back. I went to hunt for
>> it in the hardware stores here and none of them have the obsolete
>> power supply anymore.
>>
>> Somebody told me that I can use the same Power Supply Unit that is
>> being used in the contemporary systems.
>>
>> The only problem is that the 850 GB board had to be supplied power
>> through 3 connectors(One for the board, one for the processor and one
>> which seems to be or the IDE controllers, pls correct me if I'm
>> wrong). The latest power supply units have only two power connectors
>> for the board, and the one for the IDE controllers seems to be
>> missing. Can I use a new power supply unit for my board?
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated as Intel has stopped supporting
>> my board.

> If its a standard ATX board the new ATX power supplies will still work with it.

Nope, new ATX supplys usually dont have the 6 pin aux power connector anymore.

> They have more wires but the four extra pins on the end should just slide off

Some do, plenty dont, and that wont help in his case anyway.

> (they do on my Antec PSUs for my VIA chipset based boards). I'm not sure what you mean about a
> third plug for the motherboard: ATX only ever had two to my recollection,

Nope, you're forgetting about the 6 pin aux power connector.

> and not all even had this! The main (long, two rows) one and the four pin add on for some boards
> (P4 boards only?).

And the 6 pin aux power connector showed up before that 4 pin square connector did.

From: John Doe on
A hyperactive troll

From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Power supply for Intel 850GB motherboard
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:55:26 +1000

Mike T. <noway nohow.not> wrote

From: Rod Speed on
A terminal fuckwit.

John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> [...]

>> 4) Best suggestion:
>
> Nope. The best suggestion is actually 5) buy a power
> supply which has that 6 pin aux power connector.
>
>> Considering the age of the system, it is likely that it won't last
>> much longer, even if you do happen to get it powered up again.
>
> Oh bullshit.
>
>> I'd suggest you replace it with a cheap barebone system, one with
>> onboard video if your current video adapter is too
>> old to be supported by current mainboards. This might not cost much
>> more than a decent power supply anyway.
>
> More bullshit.
>
>> One example follows, just add RAM and move your disk drives into the
>> new case:
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2456829&Sku=G452-2548%20E
>
> Lot more expensive than a power supply which has that 6 pin aux power

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ASUS mobo beep codes?
Next: DVD burning problem