From: Abhishek Srivastava on
> > Mike T. <noway nohow.not> wrote
> >> Abhishek Srivastava <abhishek.srivastava78 gmail.com> wrote

Hi all,

I really appreciate the inputs provided by everybody. Thanks a ton!
Paul, your reply was indeed comprehensive. Special thanks to you.

I've got the computer working. I bought a new 400 watts Power Supply
Unit and plugged it in. I have left the socket next where the IDE
cables go into the board unconnected. The system is working. Or should
I say so far so good? ;)

Im actually wondering why it's working. If the socket does not need to
be connected, why is it there in the first place? Will I have a problem
with my disk drives (HDD and DVD writer) when the system goes into
standby mode or wakes up from it?

Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek Srivastava

From: Rod Speed on
Abhishek Srivastava <abhishek.srivastava78(a)gmail.com> wrote
> Abhishek Srivastava <abhishek.srivastava78 gmail.com> wrote

>> I'm still using a computer that I assembled around 5 yrs back.
>> It has a 1.4 GHz P4 processor and an Intel 850 GB board.
>> The problem is that the Power Supply stopped working a few
>> days back. I went to hunt for it in the hardware stores here
>> and none of them have the obsolete power supply anymore.

>> Somebody told me that I can use the same Power Supply
>> Unit that is being used in the contemporary systems.

>> The only problem is that the 850 GB board had to be supplied
>> power through 3 connectors(One for the board, one for the
>> processor and one which seems to be or the IDE controllers,
>> pls correct me if I'm wrong). The latest power supply units
>> have only two power connectors for the board, and the
>> one for the IDE controllers seems to be missing.

>> Can I use a new power supply unit for my board?

>> Any help will be greatly appreciated as
>> Intel has stopped supporting my board.

> I've got the computer working. I bought a new 400 watts
> Power Supply Unit and plugged it in. I have left the socket
> next where the IDE cables go into the board unconnected.

Why ? Was that because the power supply doesnt have that connector ?

> The system is working. Or should I say so far so good? ;)

> Im actually wondering why it's working. If the socket does
> not need to be connected, why is it there in the first place?

Good question. It may have just been a conservative approacy by Intel.

That connector has a couple of extra 3.3V lines and one extra 5V line.

The most likely thing is that you may have marginally more
load on those lines in the 20 pin main power connector.

> Will I have a problem with my disk drives (HDD and DVD writer)
> when the system goes into standby mode or wakes up from it?

No, there is no relevance to the location next to the IDE connectors.

From: Paul on
In article <1159964956.850199.84040(a)e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
"Abhishek Srivastava" <abhishek.srivastava78(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Mike T. <noway nohow.not> wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I really appreciate the inputs provided by everybody. Thanks a ton!
> Paul, your reply was indeed comprehensive. Special thanks to you.
>
> I've got the computer working. I bought a new 400 watts Power Supply
> Unit and plugged it in. I have left the socket next where the IDE
> cables go into the board unconnected. The system is working. Or should
> I say so far so good? ;)
>
> Im actually wondering why it's working. If the socket does not need to
> be connected, why is it there in the first place? Will I have a problem
> with my disk drives (HDD and DVD writer) when the system goes into
> standby mode or wakes up from it?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Abhishek Srivastava

http://prohardver.hu/html/lap/850gb/d850gb.png
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850gb/A2608002.pdf

I completely forgot about that 1x6 Aux connector :-)

The 3.3V and 5V pins on the Aux connector, work in parallel with
the 3.3V and 5V pins on the main power connector. If the
motherboard designers expectations were, that something would
be drawing more 3.3V and 5V, then plugging in the Aux would be
a good idea.

On a 20 pin connector, there are four +5VDC and three +3.3VDC pins.
Each pin carries a max of 6 amps, to avoid overheating. That
means the main cable can carry +5VDC @ 24A and +3.3VDC at 18A.
The current only flows if something on the motherboard is using
it.

The Aux connector has one +5VDC pin and two +3.3VDC pins. The
metal pin used on Aux is different than the other Molex connectors,
and I don't know the current limit right off hand. But those
pins would increase the allowable current above the
24A and 18A if just the main connector was connected.

The D850GB has an AGP Pro50 (50 watt) video card connector, and
if you used an (obscure) AGP Pro card, that can increase the power
consumption drawn through the main power connectors. If you
had a high power video card, that would be the time to connect
the 1x6 connector. But while I tried to work through the numbers
here, I don't have anything concrete to offer, as I don't know
which rail the motherboard uses to run the Rambus memory.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_frm/thread/3fac3d581951a064/54d84e3eed3f956e

If you look in section 2.11.1 of the Intel A2608002.pdf manual
above, the power draw numbers there are ridiculously low. (They
use a minimal configuration, and the info is kinda useless, like
many similar tables in the other Intel manuals.) It would seem
from that info, that it would be pretty hard to burn the main
connector on the motherboard, even with a 50W video card plugged
in. Finding good data on RIMMs, and accounting for four of
them, might make a bit of difference to the calculation.

Paul
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ASUS mobo beep codes?