From: Warren Block on
Joel <joel(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

>> > YES and NO
>> >
>> > YES, you can transfer the FILE to a remoted system, then have someone at the
>> > remoted system print the file for you
>> >
>> > NO, FTP is File Transferring Protocal (not File To Print) so you can't print
>> > using FTP
>>
>> This is incorrect. HP JetDirect print servers (and maybe other brands)
>> will accept and print files sent by FTP.
>
> You must be kidding right? and why not saying that all Windows OSes come
> FPT application that most people don't use.

It's hard to tell what you're saying. Yes, even Windows includes an FTP
client, and yes, it can be used to transfer files to a JetDirect. Kind
of sounds like you're saying that since most people don't use it, it
doesn't exist, but that can't be right.

> And Print Server is a SERVER not printer driver so it may allow to have
> access to printer, but the printer just won't print without Printer Driver.

As I show below, you are mistaken.

>> > Wrong question again, even with TEXT the system still need printer driver
>> > in order to print... anything or everything.
>>
>> This is incorrect. To use the example of HP LaserJet printers, you can
>> create and print files without a driver if the printer already
>> understands that type of file. For example, create a text file using a
>> simple text editor (Notepad, not Word), then send it to the printer via
>> FTP or port 9100 or lpd or several other ways. No driver.
>>
>> Certainly there are terrible host-based printers which require drivers
>> because all they can render are bitmaps. But not all printers are like
>> that, even on Windows.

>> See the example above. And watch out for absolutes.
>
> Then give and prove your point.

I did, but let me repeat:

>> To use the example of HP LaserJet printers, you can
>> create and print files without a driver if the printer already
>> understands that type of file. For example, create a text file using a
>> simple text editor (Notepad, not Word), then send it to the printer via
>> FTP or port 9100 or lpd or several other ways. No driver.

In more detail, and even on Windows:

Run Notepad.
Type in a few lines of text:

"Printers can print files in their native PDLs without drivers.
This page is proof of that."

Save the file as sample.txt. This is a plain ASCII file.
Close Notepad.
Start a command shell (cmd).
FTP the file to the printer. For this example, we have a JetDirect
print server at 192.168.1.50:

ftp 192.168.1.50

Connected to laser.
230 FTP Server Ready
User (laser:(none)):

Press Enter for no user name.

331 Enter password.
Password:

Press Enter for no password.

230-Hewlett-Packard FTP Print Server Version 3.0.

Directory: Description:
--------------------------
PORT hp LaserJet 4250

To print a file use the command put <filename> [portx]
or 'cd' to a desired port and use put <filename>.

230 User logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

ftp>

put sample.txt

200 Port command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection.
226-Ready
226-Processing job.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 91 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 91000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp>

And the page prints. Yes, I actually did this to collect the output
above.

quit (to leave the FTP program).

On this particular printer, it would have also have worked if the sample
file was PostScript, PCL, or PDF.

No driver was used to create the file or to print it.

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <slrnherefo.ses.wblock(a)lightning.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a basic misunderstanding between two things here. The
> first is the PDL. The second is the method of getting the file to the
> printer. Those are two separate things.

Warren-

You're quite right. But both are required in order to print.

One might define a driver as that which does both things. So if you do
both manually, you can print without a driver. If you do only one
thing, then a driver is that which does the other.

Fred
From: Ato_Zee on

On 1-Nov-2009, Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

> No driver was used to create the file or to print it.

AFAIR the old dot matrix printers didn't need drivers,
you just sent ASCII characters to them, just like
you used to do with the ASR33 Teletypes, and Dec
Writer page printers.
The drivers came in when you had to convert an
application produced document to something
the printer could understand.
And if you got it wrong, instead of a nice printed
page you got sheet after sheet of Postscript
command language, and had to pull the plug
before you ran out of paper.
From: Bob Eager on
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:47:26 +0000, Ato_Zee wrote:

> AFAIR the old dot matrix printers didn't need drivers, you just sent
> ASCII characters to them

Quite a lot of them allowed font selection, character size, page size,
etc. My first printer (1984) was like that - a Canon PW1080A...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Warren Block on
Joel <joel(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>> In more detail, and even on Windows:
>>
>> Run Notepad.
>> Type in a few lines of text:
>>
>> "Printers can print files in their native PDLs without drivers.
>> This page is proof of that."
>>
>> Save the file as sample.txt. This is a plain ASCII file.
>> Close Notepad.
>> Start a command shell (cmd).
>> FTP the file to the printer. For this example, we have a JetDirect
>> print server at 192.168.1.50:
>>
>> ftp 192.168.1.50
>>
>> Connected to laser.
>> 230 FTP Server Ready
>> User (laser:(none)):
>>
>> Press Enter for no user name.
>>
>> 331 Enter password.
>> Password:
>>
>> Press Enter for no password.
>>
>> 230-Hewlett-Packard FTP Print Server Version 3.0.
>>
>> Directory: Description:
>> --------------------------
>> PORT hp LaserJet 4250
>>
>> To print a file use the command put <filename> [portx]
>> or 'cd' to a desired port and use put <filename>.
>>
>> 230 User logged in.
>> Remote system type is UNIX.
>> Using binary mode to transfer files.
>>
>> ftp>
>>
>> put sample.txt
>>
>> 200 Port command successful.
>> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection.
>> 226-Ready
>> 226-Processing job.
>> 226 Transfer complete.
>> ftp: 91 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 91000.00Kbytes/sec.
>> ftp>
>>
>> And the page prints. Yes, I actually did this to collect the output
>> above.
>>
>> quit (to leave the FTP program).
>>
>> On this particular printer, it would have also have worked if the sample
>> file was PostScript, PCL, or PDF.
>>
>> No driver was used to create the file or to print it.
>
> I see you try to use the printing command,

No, no printing command. All the indented lines are output from the
print server.

> but it doesn't mean anything, and as I said in order to print
> something to PAPER

It did print, on paper.

> the printer must have Printer Driver installed in order to print.

You seem very confused about all this, and I'm sorry if I haven't been
clear enough. In fairness, Windows makes a lot of things more difficult
than they need to be, and it is confusing. Let me try to clear up a few
things:

A "printer driver" is a program that converts application output into a
format the printer can understand.

If a file is created that the printer can understand directly, no driver
is needed.

Any of a number of methods can be used to deliver a file to the printer.
Usually this is by parallel, USB, or Ethernet.

A shorter example that is hopefully easier to understand:

An HP LaserJet 4250 printer is attached to a Windows XP computer with a
standard parallel cable.

A command shell (cmd) is started and the edit command is used to create
a text file called sample.txt:

C:\>edit sample.txt

The file has these contents:

This was created and printed without a driver at all!
^L

The last line is a formfeed character, entered with Ctrl-P Ctrl-L.

The copy command is used to send the file directly to the printer via
the parallel port:

C:\>copy /b sample.ps lpt1:

The page prints. No driver was used or needed. Note that this same
procedure works in MS-DOS, which doesn't even have printer drivers. It
will also work with most printers.