From: Dave Boland on
Are there any network printers that don't need drivers? The reason for
asking is a network that has 3 operaitng systems of varoius levels,
which gets into driver heck. I would think high-end network printers
would have web interfaces for admin. & maint., and standard data formats
(post script, pdf, text, jpg, gif, png, tiff) could be ftp'd to the
printer directly.

Dave,
From: jrg on
On 10/29/2009 02:01 PM Dave Boland scribbled:

> Are there any network printers that don't need drivers? The reason for
> asking is a network that has 3 operaitng systems of varoius levels,
> which gets into driver heck. I would think high-end network printers
> would have web interfaces for admin. & maint., and standard data formats
> (post script, pdf, text, jpg, gif, png, tiff) could be ftp'd to the
> printer directly.
>
> Dave,
I for one had the same question about 2 weeks ago in the
alt.comp.periphs.printer group sand was basically told I didn't know
what I was talking about. I /had/ heard it was possible to ftp to a
printer - only responses were of the negative variety.

I have no need myself beyond academic curiousity so I let it lie for
maybe a future exercise but the idea did seem logically possible.

We'll see what comes up here....
From: firebird-jmw on
A network connected postscript printer should do what you want. You
need a postscript driver in each computer. Once the data is in
postscript and the protocol is IP, it should work.

From: Warren Block on
jrg <connyank(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On 10/29/2009 02:01 PM Dave Boland scribbled:
>
>> Are there any network printers that don't need drivers? The reason for
>> asking is a network that has 3 operaitng systems of varoius levels,
>> which gets into driver heck. I would think high-end network printers
>> would have web interfaces for admin. & maint., and standard data formats
>> (post script, pdf, text, jpg, gif, png, tiff) could be ftp'd to the
>> printer directly.
>>
> I for one had the same question about 2 weeks ago in the
> alt.comp.periphs.printer group sand was basically told I didn't know
> what I was talking about. I /had/ heard it was possible to ftp to a
> printer - only responses were of the negative variety.

HP JetDirect print servers have accepted jobs by a bunch of different
protocols, including FTP, for years. There's also a web admin
interface.

As far as not needing a driver, the PostScript LaserJets handle a lot of
formats, usually PostScript, PCL, and plain text. Newer versions can
print PDF also.

From: jrg on
On 10/29/2009 05:06 PM firebird-jmw(a)invalid.invalid scribbled:

sorry, I am bottom posting your reply, firebird, to make it flow:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:01:16 -0400, Dave Boland <dboland9(a)fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> Are there any network printers that don't need drivers? The reason for
>> asking is a network that has 3 operaitng systems of varoius levels,
>> which gets into driver heck. I would think high-end network printers
>> would have web interfaces for admin. & maint., and standard data formats
>> (post script, pdf, text, jpg, gif, png, tiff) could be ftp'd to the
>> printer directly.
>>
>> Dave,

> A network connected postscript printer should do what you want. You
> need a postscript driver in each computer. Once the data is in
> postscript and the protocol is IP, it should work.

group:

writer name withheld:

*/
Think about your own question: "It is possible to print without one on a
network printer by using FTP to transfer the file to the printer"

"the file" .... WHAT FILE?

You expect a printer to take a Microsoft Word document (*.doc) or an
Excel spreadsheet (*.xls) or a PowerPoint presentation (*.ppt) and print
it? What's missing is not a "driver" ... it's the entire application.

The idea that anything can be printed without a driver is nonsensical,
unless "anything" is no more than plain ASCII text.

A driver (and, for that matter, an application) is required. ALWAYS.
The best you can hope for is a very common page description language and
a "universal" driver. That can work for ASCII, PCL and PostScript (and
a few more) but a "universal" driver, if it works at all, won't be able
to take advantage of any special features or capabilities of any given
particular printer.

/*

go figure...