From: jasonmlange on
i'm having the EXACT same problem. it all started with me trying to
update my catalyst drivers. have you had any luck fixing teh problem?

From: Julian Richards on
On 20 Jan 2007 13:13:36 -0800, jasonmlange(a)gmail.com wrote:

>i'm having the EXACT same problem. it all started with me trying to
>update my catalyst drivers. have you had any luck fixing teh problem?

Have you run "Driver Cleaner"? I needed to do that to upgrade from one
Omega driver to the next. Sometimes stuff gets left behind even when
it ought not to. I ran uninstall, then Driver Cleaner with all ATI
options selected, then rebooted and then reinstalled.
--

Julian Richards

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"
From: rflynn4_nospam on
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:21:18 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
<spam(a)beasolutions.com> wrote:

>Will Bradshaw wrote:
>> I opened device manager and somehow it was installed and
>> working. The driver (which it found on the Connect 3D CD I had left
>> in the drive) is a bit ancient, but I'm not about to attempt to
>> update it. I'll play AOE III for a bit and see how that goes then
>> I'll post an update.
>
>I played it for an hour and it didn't crash or freeze, the graphics looked
>good, and it wasn't running slowly, so it seems to be fixed. I noticed that
>a couple of shadows wern't quite as good as I think they used to be, and I
>didn't see any birds, but that might have been the map I was playing.
>Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, even though the stupid thing just
>decided to install its self in the end.

Hi:

When you go here http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
and navigate to where you download the CCC/Drivers for your card,
follow the "Installation Instructions" link that gives you the steps
to update the software.
There are specific steps ATI wants you to follow which includes
removing items in Registry.
If you install new software over old, or just use Add/Remove Programs,
you can expect trouble.

Happy trailz,

http://www.usenet.com
From: KCB on

<rflynn4_nospam(a)cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:21:18 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
> <spam(a)beasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Will Bradshaw wrote:
>>> I opened device manager and somehow it was installed and
>>> working. The driver (which it found on the Connect 3D CD I had left
>>> in the drive) is a bit ancient, but I'm not about to attempt to
>>> update it. I'll play AOE III for a bit and see how that goes then
>>> I'll post an update.
>>
>>I played it for an hour and it didn't crash or freeze, the graphics
>>looked
>>good, and it wasn't running slowly, so it seems to be fixed. I
>>noticed that
>>a couple of shadows wern't quite as good as I think they used to be,
>>and I
>>didn't see any birds, but that might have been the map I was playing.
>>Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, even though the stupid thing
>>just
>>decided to install its self in the end.
>>

> Hi:
>
> When you go here http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
> and navigate to where you download the CCC/Drivers for your card,
> follow the "Installation Instructions" link that gives you the steps
> to update the software.
> There are specific steps ATI wants you to follow which includes
> removing items in Registry.
> If you install new software over old, or just use Add/Remove Programs,
> you can expect trouble.

That's not what it says. It actually directs you to use Add/Remove
Programs to properly remove the old drivers/software before you install
the new ones. It gives the Manual directions only "If you encounter any
error messages while uninstalling..." It doesn't say to muck around
with the registry right off the bat. What a PITA that would be for
every driver uninstall/install! I've been using the Add/Remove properly
for years and it's worked fine.

From: Captain Midnight on
"KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE(a)THIScomcast.net> wrote in message

> <rflynn4_nospam(a)cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:21:18 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
> > <spam(a)beasolutions.com> wrote:

> >>I played it for an hour and it didn't crash or freeze, the graphics
> >>looked
> >>good, and it wasn't running slowly, so it seems to be fixed. I
> >>noticed that
> >>a couple of shadows wern't quite as good as I think they used to be,
> >>and I
> >>didn't see any birds, but that might have been the map I was playing.
> >>Anyway thanks for all the suggestions, even though the stupid thing
> >>just
> >>decided to install its self in the end.
> >>

> > Hi:
> >
> > When you go here http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
> > and navigate to where you download the CCC/Drivers for your card,
> > follow the "Installation Instructions" link that gives you the steps
> > to update the software.
> > There are specific steps ATI wants you to follow which includes
> > removing items in Registry.
> > If you install new software over old, or just use Add/Remove Programs,
> > you can expect trouble.
> >

> That's not what it says. It actually directs you to use Add/Remove
> Programs to properly remove the old drivers/software before you install
> the new ones. It gives the Manual directions only "If you encounter any
> error messages while uninstalling..." It doesn't say to muck around
> with the registry right off the bat. What a PITA that would be for
> every driver uninstall/install! I've been using the Add/Remove properly
> for years and it's worked fine.

Probably isn't necessary for display drivers and CP or CCC until about the
third try. Have had little problem with them. Just because you don't get
error messages doesn't mean you won't have problems left over from the
cleaning Program/ATI folders and the Temp folder which I've had problems
with left over files. It's a PIA but better than doing installs until the
Installer gets it right. It's a judgment call.

I normally only update display drivers when upgrading MMC and do the manual
uninstall every time for it. I also would do it whenever going back to an
older version of anything ATI. Was a time when uninstall and install worked
fine. Then needed to use CatUninstaller occasionally, then every time.
Finally having to use the manual method every time, for MMC at least.

Appears updating MMC won't be a problem any longer.