From: Will Bradshaw on
I've searched the newsgroup but can't find anything on this, so sorry if I
missed something.
I decided to update Catalyst and during the install it comes up with an
error message saying 'Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to
setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup'
I've tried several different versions of Catalyst, and several drivers on
their own, but none will install. I also downloaded some 'Omega' drivers,
which installed, but didn't work. I googled the error message and it looks
quite common, but I couldn't find a solution. Does anyone here know how I
can get the driver installed?

My specs are:
Connect 3D Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
Athlon XP 2000+ 1.7GHz
1GB DDR 333
MSI MS-6590
XP Pro SP2

From: Custom Computers on

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> I've searched the newsgroup but can't find anything on this, so sorry if I
> missed something.
> I decided to update Catalyst and during the install it comes up with an
> error message saying 'Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to
> setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup'
> I've tried several different versions of Catalyst, and several drivers on
> their own, but none will install. I also downloaded some 'Omega' drivers,
> which installed, but didn't work. I googled the error message and it looks
> quite common, but I couldn't find a solution. Does anyone here know how I
> can get the driver installed?
>
> My specs are:
> Connect 3D Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
> Athlon XP 2000+ 1.7GHz
> 1GB DDR 333
> MSI MS-6590
> XP Pro SP2

Did you follow the instructions as they are listed on the ATi web site?

From: Geoff on

> I decided to update Catalyst and during the install it comes up with an
> error message

uninstall drivers
then install new ones

updating em doesn't work well, if it all ?

From: JamesH on

"Geoff" <fooooooool(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> I decided to update Catalyst and during the install it comes up with an
>> error message
>
> uninstall drivers
> then install new ones
>
> updating em doesn't work well, if it all ?
I update them all the time without any problems

From: Captain Midnight on
"Will Bradshaw" <spam(a)beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> I've searched the newsgroup but can't find anything on this, so sorry if I
> missed something.
> I decided to update Catalyst and during the install it comes up with an
> error message saying 'Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try
> setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running
setup'
> I've tried several different versions of Catalyst, and several drivers on
> their own, but none will install. I also downloaded some 'Omega' drivers,
> which installed, but didn't work. I googled the error message and it
looks
> quite common, but I couldn't find a solution. Does anyone here know how I
> can get the driver installed?
>
> My specs are:
> Connect 3D Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
> Athlon XP 2000+ 1.7GHz
> 1GB DDR 333
> MSI MS-6590
> XP Pro SP2

Use the Add Hardware wizard in Control Panel to install the VGA driver.
Don't know why but had to do it once even though XP was using it.

Probably would be a good idea to use the manual uninstall instructions at
ati.com/install to make sure everything is clean.