From: alchemist on
Download:
http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtrema.rar

I believe that the codepage you should use is 1252. if not, check
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/WinCP.mspx for the proper code.
Assuming the string you get from ado is adoStr, use:

uniStr= _aa(adoStr, 1252).dirstring
or
uniStr= _aa(adoStr).dirstring -- this will use your system's code page.

_aa() will perform a raw import of director string adoStr (ansi from ansi),
and .dirstring
will return a director string according to the dir version (ansi, or utf8
for
dir11).
To check if the import will work as expected, you can try:
_aa(adoStr,1252).pop()

To update the database to utf8 format, you can read all entries and replace
them with the converted strings.

You could also use the xtra's xCom object to access your database, which can
easilly handle such issues and supports all vb data types - just that it's
not documented yet. It soon will be though.

Let me know if the above works for you.

From: alchemist on
Great to hear this, Locknar!
Far as the nickname is concerned though, it comes from when I often had to
resort to awkward methods to deal with director quirks. Now it's all
about solutions, not workarounds, so perhaps I should reconsider ;-).

From: alchemist on
> It's really annoying.
You understand that the version you are using is a beta, and should not be
used in release products, right?
You can perform the required conversions, update your existing database, and
then stop using it. If you don't call any commands, the debugger won't
appear.
Case you want to try some of it's features though: xDebuggerEnabled(0)
I wonder how you could do that without the docs, though..
The ones on the site refer to older versions of the xtra, and the new ones
won't be released till next week.