From: The Doctor on
steam3801 <tryspammingthis(a)ozemail.com.au> wrote in

@mid.individual.net:

>>> Power!
>>>
>>> Do you have a power lead as well as a data led plugged in?
>>> Don't use a hub for power. May not be wise to use one for data if it
>>> is marginal.
>>>
>>> Don...
>>>

>>Thanks Don, I definitely have power. Otherwise, I wouldn't be seeing
the
>>LED lighting up. The connector is a bit funny though.
>
> Not what was asked, and not answered.

Sorry for the confusion but it is an external DVD burner and
it does have an *external* power supply which draws power from
the mains not USB.

I didn't think an external DVD burner can get enough power from a
USB port (even 2 USB ports).

From: Don McKenzie on

> I didn't think an external DVD burner can get enough power from a
> USB port (even 2 USB ports).

I have a very sweet one I got on ebay from hong kong, about $80AUD inc
postage.

Has two usb cables, one supplies power, and one data. When you said
external DVD, that's the type I thought you meant, sorry.

It will run off my 7" and 10" eee pc notebooks using only the data lead.
Slimline case, I pack it in my notebook bag.

All external DVD writers should be like this now days.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam: http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
From: Clocky on

"Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message

>> I didn't think an external DVD burner can get enough power from a
>> USB port (even 2 USB ports).
>
> I have a very sweet one I got on ebay from hong kong, about $80AUD inc
> postage.
>
> Has two usb cables, one supplies power, and one data. When you said
> external DVD, that's the type I thought you meant, sorry.
>
> It will run off my 7" and 10" eee pc notebooks using only the data lead.
> Slimline case, I pack it in my notebook bag.
>
> All external DVD writers should be like this now days.

It has two cables to supply power and one doubles up for data.

USB port spec rates one port for only 500ma so by doubling up on the ports
you can 1A which is more like minimum current draw required for burning
DVD's.

Running it off one port will likely work but you risk overloading the port
and possibly burning PCB traces if they're at marginal spec.

From: Don McKenzie on
Clocky wrote:
> "Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message
>>> I didn't think an external DVD burner can get enough power from a
>>> USB port (even 2 USB ports).
>> I have a very sweet one I got on ebay from hong kong, about $80AUD inc
>> postage.
>>
>> Has two usb cables, one supplies power, and one data. When you said
>> external DVD, that's the type I thought you meant, sorry.
>>
>> It will run off my 7" and 10" eee pc notebooks using only the data lead.
>> Slimline case, I pack it in my notebook bag.
>>
>> All external DVD writers should be like this now days.
>>

> It has two cables to supply power and one doubles up for data.

Correct.

> USB port spec rates one port for only 500ma so by doubling up on the ports
> you can 1A which is more like minimum current draw required for burning
> DVD's.

1A is correct.
Burning DVD's current is incorrect. Sounds like a guess to me.
Have you measured the current drawn on one of the tiny DVD external
writers? If you don't give them enough power, they simply don't come on
line.

Same applies to these new tiny, high capacity hard drives, that you can
get everywhere now. They are great.

> Running it off one port will likely work but you risk overloading the port
> and possibly burning PCB traces if they're at marginal spec.

I guess you have never heard of "PTC"
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Application_Notes/ec616.pdf
Positive Temperature coefficient device, which limits the port current.

Try putting a short on a USB port. If you don't like the sound of that,
try a cheap hub.

Cheers Don...