From: MZB on
Ben:

My laptop has:
toshiba mk4026gax, according to Belarc Advisor. It also lists SMART status
as healthy.

It appears there is not diagnostic specifically for this drive.

My computer seems to be passing the Dell Diagnostics except for the CD drive
(which I rarely use -- oddly that seems to be working fine).

I will try and clean up any dust/dirt. Can that also cause problems on
boot-up?

After I do the forced air thing, if it doesn't work, should I do the XP
REPAIR. I'm real hesitant to do that as I don't want to screw anything up,
although my important data is backed up.

Mel

From: Ben Myers on

From: MZB on
FWIW-- I am currently running SFC. I will then also run CHKDSK/F. I'm
running out of tricks here!

Mel

From: JayB on
sounding more like you have a infection...

my next step if it was me is to mount that system drive into another
computer and analyze it from there.
i would not just randomly start doing restores.

also, what was the result of booting into safemode?

From: Ben Myers on
On 4/24/2010 12:47 PM, MZB wrote:
> Ben:
>
> My laptop has:
> toshiba mk4026gax, according to Belarc Advisor. It also lists SMART status
> as healthy.
>
> It appears there is not diagnostic specifically for this drive.
>
> My computer seems to be passing the Dell Diagnostics except for the CD drive
> (which I rarely use -- oddly that seems to be working fine).
>
> I will try and clean up any dust/dirt. Can that also cause problems on
> boot-up?
>
> After I do the forced air thing, if it doesn't work, should I do the XP
> REPAIR. I'm real hesitant to do that as I don't want to screw anything up,
> although my important data is backed up.
>
> Mel
>

> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> On 4/24/2010 11:21 AM, Mel wrote:
>>> I'm having more problems.
>>> Computer now does not boot most of the time. It stalls after my initial
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> I ran Dell Diagnostics Express Test and everything passed.I'm now doing
>>> the
>>> custom tests. I'm doing the IDE disk test and it looks like it will pass.
>>> I'll then try the system memory, system board, and processor tests.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>

>>> "Bob Villa"<pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> If JayB good suggestions gives you no results...try MalwareB in
>>> FafeMode (if you haven't)
>>> bob
>>>

>> Determine the manufacturer of the hard drive. Download and run BOTH the
>> manufacturer's free disk diagnostics and HDAT2. The latter allows you to
>> see the SMART data, including maximum/minimum temperature during the life
>> of the drive, number of relocated sectors (IMHO, even ONE is a sign of a
>> failing drive), number of pending relocated sectors.
>>
>> You might remove the keyboard, an easy job, and give the heat sink and fan
>> a good cleaning with a Q-tip, a soft-bristle brush and compressed air,
>> especially if the computer is used in a dirty environment or among furry
>> creatures.
>>
>> My rule of thumb has always been to make sure the hardware is A-OK before
>> making changes to the software. Failure to do so can leave one with
>> thumbs in the wrong place and chasing a phantom software problem which is
>> really hardware... Ben Myers

Mel,

Right! Toshiba is the ONLY hard drive manufacturer that does not
provide any diagnostic software to the general public. The dolts!

Run HDAT2, to look at SMART status in more detail... Ben Myers