From: roadkill on
We have had a few instances recently of MS Project Professional 2003 files
suddenly becoming unrecognizable to MS Project Professional 2003. I
understand from some of the threads I've read here that there are known
causes of file corruption (e.g. bloating, circular references, etc.). Does a
list or informative article exist for these causes? Obviously we would like
to avoid corrupted files and the added work that they cause.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
Will
From: John on
In article <45C94C00-AFC8-4F55-927C-15A0F023A59A(a)microsoft.com>,
roadkill <roadkill(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We have had a few instances recently of MS Project Professional 2003 files
> suddenly becoming unrecognizable to MS Project Professional 2003. I
> understand from some of the threads I've read here that there are known
> causes of file corruption (e.g. bloating, circular references, etc.). Does a
> list or informative article exist for these causes? Obviously we would like
> to avoid corrupted files and the added work that they cause.
>
> I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
> Will

roadkill,
Although my fellow MVPs may not necessarily agree with me on this (we
have rounds of discussions before), whenever I work with Project files
over a long period of time, I always use Save As every time I save a
file. I have never experienced file bloat. Of course, I also do not link
summary lines (the main cause of circular relationships). Using paste
links is another good way to create file corruption because paste links
are very fragile and require a whole lot of discipline to maintain.

I don't know of any one place to find a "list" of things not to do, but
the above is my list - hopefully other users will chime in with their
lists.

Hope this helps.
John
Project MVP
From: davegb on

roadkill wrote:
> We have had a few instances recently of MS Project Professional 2003 files
> suddenly becoming unrecognizable to MS Project Professional 2003. I
> understand from some of the threads I've read here that there are known
> causes of file corruption (e.g. bloating, circular references, etc.). Does a
> list or informative article exist for these causes? Obviously we would like
> to avoid corrupted files and the added work that they cause.
>
> I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
> Will

My first question in these situations is, "Were the files attached to a
common Resource Pool?" Once I know that, I can make specific
reccommendations.

From: RTucker on
I experienced a similar issue with a 30MB mpp file two years ago. VBA
corruption in the mpp file prevented macros from working with my file.
Assuming the circular logic errors are corrected, the solution I used is:

Save As... the corrupt file as type XML, then open a new file and import the
XML data. This retains the UniqueID for each task record.

If that doesn't work, open a new file, and Insert the suspect project file
at task row 1. Then, open the Task Information for this inserted project,
select the Advanced tab and deselect the hyperlink checkbox. This will
import all the records into the new mpp file, but it refreshes the UniqueID
of each task.

MSFT has KnowledgeBase articles on the subject.

--
RTucker, PMP

From: roadkill on
The corruption is more serious. I can't even get the file open. A window
pops up with the message "The operation cannot be completed because the
source file contains invalid project data or the total number of rows would
exceed the limit of 1,048,000 rows in a project. Validate the data in the
source file, insert fewer rows, delete some rows, or consider dividing your
project into subprojects to provide more space for tasks and resources."

The number of lines is only a few hundred and the file size is around 2.5M.
Any other ideas?
Will