From: RnR on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:49:39 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:

>>> I know you're all sitting on pins and needles over this...
>>>
>>> You may recall that I 'tested' my UPS to see if it could power my
>>> system, and the result of the test was that my system completely lost
>>> power. I have now discovered the reason why my system lost power: I am a
>>> shlemiel.
>>>
>>> (That's a 'dolt' for those unfamiliar with the lingo.)
>>>
>>> I performed the test by pressing the Off button on my UPS...which
>>> powered off the UPS. Duh! The correct thing to do was to pull the plug
>>> (of the UPS) out of the wall socket.
>>>
>>> Tonight I pulled the plug...and my system kept on working, without
>>> interruption. So there. No fancy, expensive, sine wave UPS for me.
>>>
>>> My UPS *is* somewhat under-powered for my system, by almost any
>>> calculation. I'll just wait for a good sale.
>>>
>>> Daddy
>>
>> FWIW, Staples had a good solid decently rated APC UPS on sale a few
>> weeks ago, and my son bought one to overcome the old and substandard
>> electrical wiring where he lives. CDW had APCs on sale a few weeks ago,
>> and I bought an APC Back-UPS 1250 for a little over 100 bucks. Made my
>> life easier, because our local National Grid electric company has very
>> frequent electrical hiccups, and my old UPS was worn out. I no longer
>> suffer from spontaneous reboots. Of my computer. My brain still
>> reboots regularly.
>>
>> Keep checking the sales, schlep on over to a sale, and buy a
>> good-quality name brand UPS.
>>
>> How on earth a company like Dell can tell everyone that a UPS must
>> provide A/C with a pure sine wave is beyond me. Or, to put it more
>> succinctly, it is a large load of bullshit... Ben Myers
>
>I'm not wild about UPSes by APC, because every APC unit I've ever owned
>- 4 in all - eventually starts to 'buzz' intermittently. Then I have to
>go underneath my desk and smack the thing once or twice to get the
>buzzing to stop.
>
>When I asked APC about this, they said "Oh, that's normal." I guess that
>makes my Tripp-Lite APC abnormal.
>
>Tom: A shlemiel spills coffee on a shlimazel. That's the difference.
>
>Daddy

Thanks Daddy for clearing up whether the newer Dells need this type
UPS. I don't know a lot about UPSs so this subject kept my interest.
I guess I know a little more about them now thanks to you and others.

Appreciate the info. .
From: Daddy on
RnR wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:49:39 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> FWIW, Staples had a good solid decently rated APC UPS on sale a few
>>> weeks ago, and my son bought one to overcome the old and substandard
>>> electrical wiring where he lives. CDW had APCs on sale a few weeks ago,
>>> and I bought an APC Back-UPS 1250 for a little over 100 bucks. Made my
>>> life easier, because our local National Grid electric company has very
>>> frequent electrical hiccups, and my old UPS was worn out. I no longer
>>> suffer from spontaneous reboots. Of my computer. My brain still
>>> reboots regularly.
>>>
>>> Keep checking the sales, schlep on over to a sale, and buy a
>>> good-quality name brand UPS.
>>>
>>> How on earth a company like Dell can tell everyone that a UPS must
>>> provide A/C with a pure sine wave is beyond me. Or, to put it more
>>> succinctly, it is a large load of bullshit... Ben Myers
>> I'm not wild about UPSes by APC, because every APC unit I've ever owned
>> - 4 in all - eventually starts to 'buzz' intermittently. Then I have to
>> go underneath my desk and smack the thing once or twice to get the
>> buzzing to stop.
>>
>> When I asked APC about this, they said "Oh, that's normal." I guess that
>> makes my Tripp-Lite APC abnormal.
>>
>> Tom: A shlemiel spills coffee on a shlimazel. That's the difference.
>>
>> Daddy
>

> Thanks Daddy for clearing up whether the newer Dells need this type
> UPS. I don't know a lot about UPSs so this subject kept my interest.
> I guess I know a little more about them now thanks to you and others.
>
> Appreciate the info. .

In the interests of fairness and accuracy: Dell technical support will
recommend that you buy a true sine wave UPS if you own a Studio XPS 8100
or 9000 (and probably other models as well) if you ask them for a
recommendation. However:

1- Dell technical support reps don't always know what they're talking
about; and

2- The truth is.../any/ AC-powered electrical device prefers current
with a sine waveform, but not all /require/ it. Certainly, critical
electrical equipment, such as used in hospitals, should be protected
with the more expensive sine wave UPS. Whether or not a PC with a power
factor correcting power supply /needs/ a sine wave UPS is a question
with too many variables. You have to try on your own and find out.

The issue of expensive sine wave UPSes for PCs is a lot like the
expensive supplements you hear about on radio informercials. Is there
some evidence to back them up...yes...do you need to have them...no.

Daddy
From: JayB on
LOL
you are joking? right?
that so called buzzing is the self-test mode testing the battery and
only lasts a short time. i guess about the time it takes for you to go
below your desk and smack it.