From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> And it's not only Dell's problem...any new PC with an active
> PFC power supply is going to need an expensive UPS.

No. A *properly designed* power supply will work with a UPS that has a
stepped approximation to a sinewave output. I've done this often
enough with various power supplies that have active PFC circuits to
say with reasonable assurance that it will work.

I maintain that Dell is cheapskating on the quality of their power
supplies, and they may have a nasty backlash from doing so. (But then
again, I'm a pretty big believer in "do it right the first time" for
stuff like this.)

There's also the PS/2s...I have a herd of those and some are hooked up
to UPS units with stepped approximation to a sinewave output.
Sometimes the power supply harmonizes a little bit when on battery
power, but they work. The late model 400 (actually 399.1!) watt power
supply has an active PFC circuit and it seems to get along fine on
power from the average UPS. (Some people do report power ups and power
downs, but I have never been able to duplicate this.)

> I can buy a new PC for the price of a properly-sized UPS for
> my system.

It's not cheap or particularly easy to design a UPS with true sine
wave output. What an AC generator does just by virtue of its
mechanical design a UPS must do electronically. The complexity of the
circuit is much greater--if you ever get a chance, compare the two
designs sometime.

I couldn't think of the term last night, but a lot of really old UPS
designs put out a simple squarewave and don't even bother trying to
make it look like a sinewave in any way.

There were some exceptions--I had a very nice (and old!) APC 1200VA
UPS with true sine wave output. A lot of BIG UPS units have true sine
wave outputs. Here comes your money saving tip--even today you can
find these and they are typically priced on a "if you can carry it you
can have it basis". That is because the batteries in them will be
totally dead. Good quality car batteries or deep cycle marine
batteries can usually serve as replacements, although you may have to
buy a battery box and wire up external cables.

That was exactly what I did with that APC unit. It took 48 volts worth
of input power to its inverter, so I wired up four big car batteries
in series. The thing would run a moderately sized 120 volt room air
conditioner or washing machine, although it had a hard time starting
either one.

The same thing works with many smaller UPS units as well, although
sometimes the charging circuit flips out and won't do its job. The
older APC UPS units sold from the mid to early 90s handle a battery
retrofit perfectly. I'm using several that have been converted to
operate from a lawn tractor battery. One of them is at the heart of a
backup lighting system--it is connected to several CFLs. These sit
idle until the power goes out--at which point the UPS goes to battery,
a contactor with a normally closed contact goes closed and the backup
lights come on. With a few 60W equivalent CFLs, the whole shebang runs
for at least two hours with ease.

Of course, if you do this you have to be wary of the fact that you're
dealing with high current circuitry that really won't understand how
you were just curious and wouldn't touch THAT again! Even one car
battery contains enough stored energy to weld, cauterize, start big
fires, etc. You must be sure that any wiring you do is safe and will
stand the load placed on it.

Oh, and charge sealed lead acid batteries in a decently ventilated
area only. Otherwise explosive hydrogen gas would build up.

William
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> [...]
> backup lighting system--it is connected to several CFLs. These sit
> idle until the power goes out--at which point the UPS goes to battery,
> a contactor with a normally closed contact goes closed and the backup
> lights come on. With a few 60W equivalent CFLs, the whole shebang runs
> for at least two hours with ease.
>
> Of course, if you do this you have to be wary of the fact that you're
> dealing with high current circuitry that really won't understand how
> you were just curious and wouldn't touch THAT again! Even one car
> battery contains enough stored energy to weld, cauterize, start big
> fires, etc. You must be sure that any wiring you do is safe and will
> stand the load placed on it.
>
> Oh, and charge sealed lead acid batteries in a decently ventilated
> area only. Otherwise explosive hydrogen gas would build up.

Very interesting, William, as usual. But a lawn tractor battery is not
an option for me. Nor can I imagine how I would explain it to my wife.

Daddy
From: Daddy on
Daddy wrote:
> I had to give myself a basic education on alternating current, output
> waveforms and active PFC power supplies just to be able to ask this
> question.
>
> It all started because I heard that new Dell PCs need a new kind of UPS
> (uninterruptible power supply.)
>
> It's a fact: To comply with regulations, Dell now includes something
> called an active-PFC power supply with their PCs. I also understand that
> users and power companies benefit from PFC, as does the environment.
>
> The problem is, active PFC power supplies supposedly need current with a
> pure sine wave output - and a Dell technical rep told me that all new
> Dell computers need this - but virtually all UPSes for home use have a
> stepped approximation of a sine wave.
>
> Has anybody priced a UPS with pure sine wave output? Those buggers are
> expensive!
>
> On the other hand, according to APC: Starting in mid-2008, all APC
> Back-UPS (home and small office) products were revised to better handle
> load requirements for PFC devices...allowing the majority of Back-UPS
> being manufactured now to handle most (not all) PFC loads within their
> wattage range much better than older units. Their output is still
> step-approximated, however, and APC still finds the occasional PFC
> device that they have trouble with.
>
> Here's where I throw up my hands. Do I really need to pay an
> arm-and-a-leg for a pure sine UPS, or is most any properly sized UPS
> 'good enough'?
>
> Daddy

I have made my decision, based on further research.

The issue concerning a UPS and a power factor corrected power supply
arises when the power supply recovers from a temporary power shortage.

A PFC power supply can have a high "inrush current" -- the amount of
current it draws when first switched on. A highly efficient power supply
(with apparent power approx. equal to actual power) can draw as much as
100% of its full power for an extended period of time (approx. 50 ms.)

A UPS that delivers its output power in a sine waveform is more likely
to provide power for long enough vs. a UPS with a stepped approximation
of a sine wave.

Another factor in UPS selection is the transfer time. A PFC power supply
can request power from the UPS in as little as 4 milliseconds. If the
UPS has a transfer time longer than 4 ms, it may not be able to provide
the power supply with power in time. (This entire discussions does not
apply to an "online" UPS.)

It's probably impossible to come up with accurate measurements for the
actual inrush current and minimum transfer time of a given power supply.
So, practically speaking, the only way to know for sure whether your
computer is adequately protected is to 'pull the plug' from the wall
socket. That's what I plan to do tonight.

Daddy
From: Tom Lake on
> I maintain that Dell is cheapskating on the quality of their power
> supplies, and they may have a nasty backlash from doing so. (But then
> again, I'm a pretty big believer in "do it right the first time" for
> stuff like this.)

Not necessarily. The PS in the 9000 is rated for 475 Watts and puts out a
true 475 Watts. I've seen some name brand supplies put out less
than their rating.

Tom L
From: Daddy on
Tom Lake wrote:
>> I maintain that Dell is cheapskating on the quality of their power
>> supplies, and they may have a nasty backlash from doing so. (But then
>> again, I'm a pretty big believer in "do it right the first time" for
>> stuff like this.)
>
> Not necessarily. The PS in the 9000 is rated for 475 Watts and puts out
> a true 475 Watts. I've seen some name brand supplies put out less than
> their rating.
>
> Tom L

Well, I conducted my little experiment...pressed the power button on my
UPS to turn it off, and...my computer and monitor immediately shut off.

That's not necessarily because my UPS doesn't produce a sine waveform.
For one thing, at 550 VA, my UPS is way under-powered. For another, this
sissy little UPS probably doesn't have a fast enough transfer time.

By the way, don't waste your time asking Dell technical support about
power supplies or UPSes. They don't have a clue.

Daddy