From: Daddy on
I had to give myself a basic education on alternating current, output
waveforms and active PFC power supplies just to be able to ask this
question.

It all started because I heard that new Dell PCs need a new kind of UPS
(uninterruptible power supply.)

It's a fact: To comply with regulations, Dell now includes something
called an active-PFC power supply with their PCs. I also understand that
users and power companies benefit from PFC, as does the environment.

The problem is, active PFC power supplies supposedly need current with a
pure sine wave output - and a Dell technical rep told me that all new
Dell computers need this - but virtually all UPSes for home use have a
stepped approximation of a sine wave.

Has anybody priced a UPS with pure sine wave output? Those buggers are
expensive!

On the other hand, according to APC: Starting in mid-2008, all APC
Back-UPS (home and small office) products were revised to better handle
load requirements for PFC devices...allowing the majority of Back-UPS
being manufactured now to handle most (not all) PFC loads within their
wattage range much better than older units. Their output is still
step-approximated, however, and APC still finds the occasional PFC
device that they have trouble with.

Here's where I throw up my hands. Do I really need to pay an
arm-and-a-leg for a pure sine UPS, or is most any properly sized UPS
'good enough'?

Daddy
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> It all started because I heard that new Dell PCs need a new kind of UPS
> (uninterruptible power supply.)

> It's a fact: To comply with regulations, Dell now includes something
> called an active-PFC power supply with their PCs. I also understand that
> users and power companies benefit from PFC, as does the environment.

Active PFC is not a new idea. Many power supplies have had it for a long
time. The IBM PS/2 Model 95 had it in the early 90s.

It makes no big difference to most computer users, as most are not billed by
the power company based on how much they may be messing up the relationship
of voltage and current in each AC power cycle. Some industrial customers
are--and for them it is a good idea to try and clean up the mess they're
making with power factor correction circuits, because doing so will save
them money.

I think the truth is that Dell is cheap-skating on their power supplies. The
output of a UPS with a stepped approximation to a sinewave could conceivably
trip up a power factor correction circuit, but I'm unclear as to why this
might cause power cycling from the power supply. I think it more likely that
the amount of input filtering on the supply has been reduced to reduce
costs, exposing the power supply to more of the "nastiness" of the input
waveform when it's a stepped approximation to a sinewave. To my way of
thinking, that could trip things up. A half-decent switchmode power supply
really should not care too much about this.

Some electrical motors and simple transformers can "care" a great deal more
about this--and they may burn up or operate incorrectly when run from a
device that doesn't provide true sine wave output. This is why some UPS
units are made with a true sine wave output.

I would still recommend buying the best UPS you can afford. Get one that
offers more capacity than you need at the very least--it'll run cooler,
longer, give you room for future upgrades and in general be a better value
for the money than a unit just big enough to scrape by. In particular, I do
not recommend the APC "plugstrip" or similar units for computers. They are
the cheapest of the cheap, and the quality is just good enough. (They do
seem to work well with network switches, routers and such, however.) If you
can afford one with true sine wave output, so much the better--but I don't
think you *have* to for computer loads.

William

From: Tom Lake on

> Here's where I throw up my hands. Do I really need to pay an
> arm-and-a-leg for a pure sine UPS, or is most any properly sized UPS
> 'good enough'?

Not good enough. For the XPS 435T/9000, at least, it absolutely won't
work with a stepped approximation. You really do need a true sine wave.

Tom Lake

From: Daddy on
Tom Lake wrote:

>> Here's where I throw up my hands. Do I really need to pay an
>> arm-and-a-leg for a pure sine UPS, or is most any properly sized UPS
>> 'good enough'?
>
> Not good enough. For the XPS 435T/9000, at least, it absolutely won't
> work with a stepped approximation. You really do need a true sine wave.
>
> Tom Lake

In fact, I just finished a 'chat' with a tech from APC. They recommend a
pure sine wave UPS for the Studio XPS 9000, and I think my 8100 is
similar enough for the same recommendation.

Even APC's least expensive sine wave UPS (from their Smart UPS line) is
more than a third of what I paid for my PC in the first place! And
although I haven't looked at other makers, I can't imagine that their
sine wave UPSes are so much less expensive.

This sounds to me like a big consumer backlash that is waiting to
explode. Dell does not warn potential customers: "Attention - If you buy
this PC you will also need an expensive UPS to protect it." And it's not
only Dell's problem...any new PC with an active PFC power supply is
going to need an expensive UPS.

I can buy a new PC for the price of a properly-sized UPS for my system.
This whole thing is just too surreal. The UPS makers must be drooling.

Daddy
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> It all started because I heard that new Dell PCs need a new kind of UPS
>> (uninterruptible power supply.)
>
>> It's a fact: To comply with regulations, Dell now includes something
>> called an active-PFC power supply with their PCs. I also understand that
>> users and power companies benefit from PFC, as does the environment.
>
> Active PFC is not a new idea. Many power supplies have had it for a long
> time. The IBM PS/2 Model 95 had it in the early 90s.
>
> It makes no big difference to most computer users, as most are not billed by
> the power company based on how much they may be messing up the relationship
> of voltage and current in each AC power cycle. Some industrial customers
> are--and for them it is a good idea to try and clean up the mess they're
> making with power factor correction circuits, because doing so will save
> them money.
>
> I think the truth is that Dell is cheap-skating on their power supplies. The
> output of a UPS with a stepped approximation to a sinewave could conceivably
> trip up a power factor correction circuit, but I'm unclear as to why this
> might cause power cycling from the power supply. I think it more likely that
> the amount of input filtering on the supply has been reduced to reduce
> costs, exposing the power supply to more of the "nastiness" of the input
> waveform when it's a stepped approximation to a sinewave. To my way of
> thinking, that could trip things up. A half-decent switchmode power supply
> really should not care too much about this.
>
> Some electrical motors and simple transformers can "care" a great deal more
> about this--and they may burn up or operate incorrectly when run from a
> device that doesn't provide true sine wave output. This is why some UPS
> units are made with a true sine wave output.
>
> I would still recommend buying the best UPS you can afford. Get one that
> offers more capacity than you need at the very least--it'll run cooler,
> longer, give you room for future upgrades and in general be a better value
> for the money than a unit just big enough to scrape by. In particular, I do
> not recommend the APC "plugstrip" or similar units for computers. They are
> the cheapest of the cheap, and the quality is just good enough. (They do
> seem to work well with network switches, routers and such, however.) If you
> can afford one with true sine wave output, so much the better--but I don't
> think you *have* to for computer loads.
>
> William

Thank you once again, William, for your comprehensive and informative
reply. Please see my reply to Tom Lake. Like you, I find it hard to
swallow that new PCs *need* this expensive type of UPS.

Daddy