From: who where on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:08:18 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<NoSpam(a)SpamMeKnot.biz> wrote:

>"William R. Walsh" wrote:
>> ..... The fuser demands an
>> enormous inrush current whenever it fires, and this will overwhelm the
>> inverter in all but the very largest UPS units, causing it to shut
>> down (best case) or fail in an exciting way.
>>
>> William
>

>What's a "fuser"?

The heating element that melts ("fuses") the toner onto the paper.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> That means on battery it can run a 500 watt device for a period of time.

A very *short* period of time, yes. It's not a good idea to run a UPS up
against its limits, because they are usually worst-case values that the unit
won't stand for too long.

> But, does it mean you can't plug a 1000 watt device into the non battery
> side of the UPS? Or is that side of the UPS just like a power strip where
> you can plug in a 2000 watt heater?

The outlets on the UPS that do not have battery backup may be used as
conventional outlets, with any load that is suitable for them. In the US, an
outlet could safely supply 15 amps at 120 volts AC. As long as you do not go
over 15 amps total (add up the amperage ratings for each item, whether it's
plugged into the battery backed outlets or otherwise), you can put whatever
you want on the outlets that are not battery backed.

William

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I think you are deescribing the"Kill-A-Watt".

That's one (and it's the one I happen to have). There are some others that
are stocked by major electronics and parts dealers, sometimes under a
private label.

> I know of a case where a UPS wouldn't supply juice if it wasn't
> plugged into the utility mains. It was a "field day" exercise and the
> intent was to power a WiFi repeater off the grid.

That might be a safety concern (floating ground) or perhaps the unit was not
cold start capable. Not all UPS units can start up their inverters without
first being on AC power, but most can. Older APC units in particular won't
do this--they must start from AC power first.

William

From: Timothy Daniels on
"who where" wrote:
> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>>
>>"William R. Walsh" wrote:
>>> ..... The fuser demands an
>>> enormous inrush current whenever it fires, and this will overwhelm the
>>> inverter in all but the very largest UPS units, causing it to shut
>>> down (best case) or fail in an exciting way.
>>>
>>> William
>>

>>What's a "fuser"?
>
> The heating element that melts ("fuses") the toner onto the paper.

OK, thanks. I do notice that my desk lamp dims for about
a half a second whenever my laser printer starts up. I guess
that's due to the fuser warming up.

*TimDaniels*

From: Brian K on
Thanks for that.

I have my UPS set for 1 minute on battery before it shuts the computer down.