From: Robert Baer on
Zoned wrote:

> AdAware SE cannot find spyware hidden by rootkits.
> You will need to get one of the Anti Rootkit programs from
> http://www.antirootkit.com to find what rootkits.
>
> regards
>
> Zoned

There seems to be nothing to support WinSE.
From: Robert Baer on
Phil Weldon wrote:

> "Robert Baer' wrote, in part:
> | I am neither stupid nor ignorant.
> | There is *no* "administrator" in Win98SE!
> | In the dim dark ages 3+ years ago, i remember one could download
> | Windows Media SDK for development work.
> | None of the 3 mentioned functions are a part of Win98SE; if you can
> | show me how to find any one of them beasties....
> _____
>
> You did not mention your operating system in your original post. Since you
> have Windows 98 SE just collapse my statement about who can access this
> information to 'anyone who uses your computer'.
** That is me, myself and I; all three of us, period.

> #1. Windows 98 SE includes DirectX, of which 'Direct Draw' is a part, see
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4846c891-d45d-4122-8230-69f3e5ecdede&DisplayLang=en
> .
** I see that i have DXDIAG, but nothing else, and since this is the
first time i have heard of that, i obviously have not been using it (and
will no.
In fact, i think i will delete it and the DLLs from my HD.

> #2. Windows 98 SE includes Windows Media SDK,
> from MSDN archives:
> "Microsoft Management Console (MMC)-previously known by the code
> name "Slate"-is an ISV-extensible, common console framework for management
> applications. The MMC will be released as part of the next major release of
> Windows NT. When released, MMC will run on both the Windows NT (4.0 and
> later versions) and Windows? 95 operating systems (current and future
> versions)."
** I translate that to "not on my computer".
Correct?

> #3. Windows Media SDK, see
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_winmedsdk.asp
> .
>
> If the above is not sufficient for you, I suggest you use MSDN at
> http://msdn1.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx .
** Ditto translation.

From: Robert Baer on
Noel Paton wrote:

> "Zoned" <zoned(a)oceanfree.net> wrote in message
>
>> AdAware SE cannot find spyware hidden by rootkits.
>> You will need to get one of the Anti Rootkit programs from
>> http://www.antirootkit.com to find what rootkits.
>>
>> regards
>>

> there is no such thing as a rootkit on Win9x systems
> The whole OS is open to any user, so the OS itself could be considered a
> rootikit (if it weren't for the invisibility aspect of rootkits)

True?
No rootkits for Win98SE?
They are so "advanced" that they cannot run on these older OSes?
From: Phil Weldon on
'Robert Baer' wrote, in part:
| ** I see that i have DXDIAG, but nothing else, and since this is the
| first time i have heard of that, i obviously have not been using it (and
| will no.
| In fact, i think i will delete it and the DLLs from my HD.
_____

Why bother to ask a question when you have no intention in accepting an
answer?
And why should anyone bother to answer?
Just to close this off;

| ** That is me, myself and I; all three of us, period.

Anyone who sits down at your computer can access the Most Recently Used
information; some users wish to delete MRU information to prevent that.

| ** I translate that to "not on my computer".
| Correct?

No.

| ** Ditto translation.

No.

From: Robert Baer on
Noel Paton wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> Noel Paton wrote:
>>

>>> "Zoned" <zoned(a)oceanfree.net> wrote in message

>>> there is no such thing as a rootkit on Win9x systems
>>> The whole OS is open to any user, so the OS itself could be
>>> considered a rootikit (if it weren't for the invisibility aspect of
>>> rootkits)
>>>
>> True?
>> No rootkits for Win98SE?
>> They are so "advanced" that they cannot run on these older OSes?
>

> The majority of rootkits (AIUI) rely on Alternate Data Streams (ADS) for
> their stealth capability - and Win9x does not support ADS (witness the
> fact that the WMF exploits that broke out at the new year affected only
> the NT hierarchy of Windows, because the vulnerability was effectively
> using ADS)
> While the active files may be present, Windows 9x is effectively
> incapable of accessing the routines within the files, and so remains
> unaffected.

Thank you!
Would ther be any way of finding those files / corrupted files?
And then removing / fixing them?
Any "worries" re the registry?