From: Robert Baer on
Phil Weldon wrote:

> 'Robert Baer' wrote, in part:
> | ** I see that i have DXDIAG, but nothing else, and since this is the
> | first time i have heard of that, i obviously have not been using it (and
> | will no.
> | In fact, i think i will delete it and the DLLs from my HD.
> _____
>
> Why bother to ask a question when you have no intention in accepting an
> answer?
> And why should anyone bother to answer?
> Just to close this off;
>
> | ** That is me, myself and I; all three of us, period.
>
> Anyone who sits down at your computer can access the Most Recently Used
> information; some users wish to delete MRU information to prevent that.
>
> | ** I translate that to "not on my computer".
> | Correct?
>
> No.
>
> | ** Ditto translation.
>
> No.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> | Phil Weldon wrote:

> | > _____
> | >
> | > You did not mention your operating system in your original post. Since
> you
> | > have Windows 98 SE just collapse my statement about who can access this
> | > information to 'anyone who uses your computer'.
> | ** That is me, myself and I; all three of us, period.
> |

> | > #1. Windows 98 SE includes DirectX, of which 'Direct Draw' is a part,
> see
> | >
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4846c891-d45d-4122-8230-69f3e5ecdede&DisplayLang=en
> | > .
> | ** I see that i have DXDIAG, but nothing else, and since this is the
> | first time i have heard of that, i obviously have not been using it (and
> | will no.
> | In fact, i think i will delete it and the DLLs from my HD.
> |

> | > #2. Windows 98 SE includes Windows Media SDK,
> | > from MSDN archives:
> | > "Microsoft Management Console (MMC)-previously known by the
> code
> | > name "Slate"-is an ISV-extensible, common console framework for
> management
> | > applications. The MMC will be released as part of the next major release
> of
> | > Windows NT. When released, MMC will run on both the Windows NT (4.0 and
> | > later versions) and Windows? 95 operating systems (current and future
> | > versions)."
> | ** I translate that to "not on my computer".
> | Correct?
> |

> | > #3. Windows Media SDK, see
> | >
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_winmedsdk.asp
> | > .
> | >
> | > If the above is not sufficient for you, I suggest you use MSDN at
> | > http://msdn1.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx .
> | ** Ditto translation.
> |

> | > Phil Weldon

Like i said, *i* am the ONLY user, period.
And i have removed those MRUs (as initially indicated) only to see
them pop up again (as indicated).

You said "When released, MMC will run.." but that is not relevant if
i do not obtain the software in the first place!
And those SDKs? Never looked at them or downloaded them and they are
not on my hard drive; if you have a list of file names that i should
look for, i will be happy to search for them and report - i do not mind
being proven wrong if such a search indicates one or more "finds".

From: Robert Baer on
?Q? wrote:

> Robert Baer <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>

>>?Q? wrote:
>>

>>>Windows 98SE also shipped with DirectX, version 6 or so. dxdiag
>>>should work.
>>
>>I'll be dammned! 4/23/99 file date.
>>But...but...motorbut. I have never used it; this is the first
>>time i knew about that.
>>So, how the heck is it used so that an MRU is created?
>

> Any app that needed to use the graphics API could have called it.
> OTOH, it need not be used to have an MRU entry in the registry; that
> key may be empty.

Ahhh...empty; did not look to see if that was the case.
Thanks; will snoop the next time.
BTW, what program(s), other than the "named" one would create such an
entry?
From: Phil Weldon on
'Robert Baer' wrote, in part:
| You said "When released, MMC will run.." but that is not relevant if
| i do not obtain the software in the first place!
| And those SDKs? Never looked at them or downloaded them and they are
| not on my hard drive; if you have a list of file names that i should
| look for, i will be happy to search for them and report - i do not mind
| being proven wrong if such a search indicates one or more "finds".
_____

Tell you what; I've given you sources - now you prove you're right, or
accept the answers you've gotten from several who have tried to help based
on your original post.

And just because
| Like i said, *i* am the ONLY user, period.
doesn't mean that holds true for every system, environment, and user.

Phil Weldon

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
..
..

From: Robert Baer on
Phil Weldon wrote:

> 'Robert Baer' wrote, in part:
> | You said "When released, MMC will run.." but that is not relevant if
> | i do not obtain the software in the first place!
> | And those SDKs? Never looked at them or downloaded them and they are
> | not on my hard drive; if you have a list of file names that i should
> | look for, i will be happy to search for them and report - i do not mind
> | being proven wrong if such a search indicates one or more "finds".
> _____
>
> Tell you what; I've given you sources - now you prove you're right, or
> accept the answers you've gotten from several who have tried to help based
> on your original post.
>
> And just because
> | Like i said, *i* am the ONLY user, period.
> doesn't mean that holds true for every system, environment, and user.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> .
> .
> | Like i said, *i* am the ONLY user, period.
> | And i have removed those MRUs (as initially indicated) only to see
> | them pop up again (as indicated).
> |
> | You said "When released, MMC will run.." but that is not relevant if
> | i do not obtain the software in the first place!
> | And those SDKs? Never looked at them or downloaded them and they are
> | not on my hard drive; if you have a list of file names that i should
> | look for, i will be happy to search for them and report - i do not mind
> | being proven wrong if such a search indicates one or more "finds".

I was not asking or talking about every system in the world, or all
Intel-based PCs or all Windoze based PCs, or even your PC; only about
one PC..the one in front of my nose at this time.
From: * * Chas on

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> Like i said, *i* am the ONLY user, period.
> And i have removed those MRUs (as initially indicated) only to see
> them pop up again (as indicated).

Most MRU entries in the Registry are insignificant. If you move your
mouse an MRU entry will probably be created. If the dog barks an MRU
entry will probably be created. If you move your head an MRU entry will
probably be created.

Ever since Win95 (and probably NT3.1 but I don't remember for sure)
Windows creates hundreds of insignificant entries in the Registry every
time you use your PC. Most of them are flushed out the next time the
system is rebooted.

Open Ad-Aware and click on the Gear icon on the top right side. Click on
Advanced. Click on the green radio buttom that says "Include Negligible
Object Information". It will turn pink with an X in it. You will no
longer see the Negligible Objects like MRUs showing in the Log Report.

"Negligible: Not significant or important enough to be worth
considering; trifling."

The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition
copyright ? 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Now wash your hands 4 more times, check to make sure the doors are all
locked at least 6 times, take some Prozac and relax.... It works for
OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can be treated!

Good luck

Chas.