From: Rick Altman on
I have three questions about the Quick Access Toolbar in PowerPoint 2007:

1. Is it still the case that no part of the interface other than the QAT can
be customized? Or has the third-party community made progress on scripting
into the Ribbon?

2. Where are changes stored to the QAT? It's not the .pcb file like with
previous versions. Is it all stuffed into the Registry? I was unable to find
a file that reflected changes upon my changing the QAT.

3. Related, what is the ppt12.pcb file responsible for? It doesn't appear to
be tracking customzing or changes in Options.

Thanks...

Rick Altman
PowerPoint Live
http://www.powerpointlive.com

From: Shyam Pillai on
Hi Rick,

1. Check Ribbon Customizer from Patrick -
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/index.php.
I expect to have some thing related out shortly.

2. The changes are stored in PowerPoint.QAT which is an xml file. You can
usually find it here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OFFICE

3. Not certain about this but I'm sure it serves some legacy purposes.

--
Regards,
Shyam Pillai

Animation Carbon
http://www.AnimationCarbon.com

From: Steve Rindsberg on
[the PCB file]

> 3. Not certain about this but I'm sure it serves some legacy purposes.

Legacy code that creates toolbars/menu additions still works in 2007 (though a
bit differently). I'm guessing that PPT still needs someplace to store these
customizations, and a bit of brief investigation suggests that that's the case.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

From: Rick Altman on
Thanks a lot, Shyam -- I looked all over Application Data, but not the one
buried in Local Settings. What were they smoking when they chose to have two
folders called Application Data??

From: Patrick Schmid [MVP] on
One is for roaming user profiles, meaning a domain user can have those
settings go with him or her on each message he or she logs on, if
roaming is enabled. The settings in Application Data are those, and
should be machine-neutral.
The other folder is for machine-specific application settings that will
not roam with a user.
Unfortunately, Microsoft made the QAT non-roaming.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80