From: pico on

"Benny" <no spam ple(a)se.com> wrote in message

> Thanks jjs - any further info on the add-in extension? Where to read up on
> it or download etc?

It is included in the installation CDs, under (I think) Extras.

From: Malcolm Smith on
Benny

I will answer what I can

>> For my situation, I wouldn't be able to afford a EIZO LCD so will keep
>> with my Mitsubishi CRT (although only 17").
My Mitsubishi CRT is still used on my old machine .and is great but the
additional size of the EIZO allows loads of editing area with paletets.
>> The extra swap file harddrive sounds good. I imagine this helps by
>> itself. I presume the swap file location can be set-up in PS? Do you use
>> this as a swap file disk for other software?
Swap (scratch) file location is set in EDIT>PREFERENCES>PERFORMANCE
>> I like the idea of a Gigabyte MOB - they always seem to get good reviews.
>> I am hearing mixed feedback on Windows Vista. I believe this handles
>> large RAM OK compared to XP Pro. I believe XP Pro won't recognize gab
>> RAM, for example. Do you have any comments regarding either keeping with
>> XP Pro or changing to Vista??
My 32 bit VISTA machine has 4GB RAM but only recognises about 3.5 - I think
XP has a similar limit. I am not sure if VISTA 64 has larger address space
but Photoshop is not supported by ADOBE for this. I have had a quick look
for the extension mentioned by Pico but havn't found it yet (may be an Apple
Mac extension). I have had no problems with VISTA .
>> Can I assume that the copy of CS3 I have (few months old) will be
>> adaptable to Quadcore as per jjs post (re recoding of PS) or is it only
>> the latest shipping copy?
Your version of CS3 should multithread (use all cores available) - My
computer guru (salesperson) says that Vista handles this much better than XP
but this may be bullshit (how do you know a computer salesman is lying?
their lips move - an old joke you can use for lawyers and car salesmen too)
Hope this helps

Malcolm

From: "Benny" no spam on
>>> I like the idea of a Gigabyte MOB - they always seem to get good
>>> reviews.
>>> I am hearing mixed feedback on Windows Vista. I believe this handles
>>> large RAM OK compared to XP Pro. I believe XP Pro won't recognize gab
>>> RAM, for example. Do you have any comments regarding either keeping
>>> with XP Pro or changing to Vista??
> My 32 bit VISTA machine has 4GB RAM but only recognises about 3.5 - I
> think XP has a similar limit. I am not sure if VISTA 64 has larger
> address space but Photoshop is not supported by ADOBE for this. I have
> had a quick look for the extension mentioned by Pico but havn't found it
> yet (may be an Apple Mac extension). I have had no problems with VISTA .
>>> Can I assume that the copy of CS3 I have (few months old) will be
>>> adaptable to Quadcore as per jjs post (re recoding of PS) or is it only
>>> the latest shipping copy?
> Your version of CS3 should multithread (use all cores available) - My
> computer guru (salesperson) says that Vista handles this much better than
> XP but this may be bullshit (how do you know a computer salesman is lying?
> their lips move - an old joke you can use for lawyers and car salesmen
> too)
> Hope this helps
>
> Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm for the extra feedback
Benny

From: pico on
> I have had a quick look for the extension mentioned by Pico but havn't
> found it yet (may be an Apple Mac extension).

Yes. Mac extension.