From: Bret Cahill on

> I do not consider social "scientists", ie. political "scientists,"
> sociologists, psychologists, etc. to be qualified to comment on issues
> regarding the hard sciences.

"Psychology, the queen of sciences."

-- Nietzsche

From: Bret Cahill on

> > > Please define "scientist."
>
> > Please don't.
>
> > > I do not consider social "scientists", ie. political "scientists,"
> > > sociologists, psychologists, etc. to be qualified to comment on issues
> > > regarding the hard sciences.
>
> > Well, that is unwise of you. There are many issues "regarding th
> > hard sciences" that the hard scientists would be least qualified
> > to comment on.
>
> Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> well understood?

Generally the "hard" sciences have more sig figs so people tend to
think they are better understood.

It's really interesting to hear someone in math and physics talk to a
good biologist or medical researcher. The "hard" scientist will keep
exclaiming in disbelief, "you mean biology is a _science_?"

Bret Cahill

"The number of sig figs possible is inversely proportional to value of
the measurement."

-- Bret's Tweaker Conjecture

From: Bret Cahill on

> > > Please define "scientist."
>
> > Please don't.
>
> > > I do not consider social "scientists", ie. political "scientists,"
> > > sociologists, psychologists, etc. to be qualified to comment on issues
> > > regarding the hard sciences.
>
> > Well, that is unwise of you. There are many issues "regarding th
> > hard sciences" that the hard scientists would be least qualified
> > to comment on.
>
> Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> well understood?

"To say philosophy hinges on science is to stand Truth Herself on Her
head."

-- Nietzsche

From: Immortalist on
On Jul 10, 4:32 pm, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> > > Or are you a conspiracy theorist who believes 98% of the scientists on
> > > the planet are in on a conspiracy?
> > That's about the same percentage who held that the Sun went round the
> > Earth.
>
> When did who believe that?

It worked and that is how long it took to form such theories. But some
evolutionists believe that physics is wired into us as instinct, but
it only has to be accurate enough to stay alive with it in an ancient
environment where those intuitive physics evolved;

Intuitive Physics Biology, Engineering and Psychology (Inborn Pre-
Wired & Instinctual)

The mind is composed of a large number of mental modules each designed
to solve a specific problem. For example, there is one mechanism for
perceiving three dimensions, another for anger, another for falling in
love. The mind is like a Swiss Army knife; i.e., it has lots of
specialized tools. There is no such thing as general intelligence,
general learning, or any other general ability to solve problems.

1. Intuitive Physics

The most fundamental mental tool is an intuitive physics:
understanding how objects fall, roll, and bounce. Its foundation is an
appreciation that the world contains objects that persist when out of
sight and that obey laws; it is not a kaleidoscope of shimmering
pixels or a magic show in which things disappear and reappear
capriciously. Philosopher and psychologist William James described the
world of the infant as a "blooming, buzzing confusion," but recent (?)
experiments have shown that babies are not as confused as James
thought. Infants as young as three months are visibly surprised when
an experimenter rigs up a display in which objects seem to vanish,
pass through each other, fly apart, or move without having been
pushed. As one psychologist summed up the results, "a blooming,
buzzing confusion" is a good description of the life of the parents,
not the infant, who is perfectly able to interpret all the blooms and
buzzes as outward signs of persisting, law-abiding objects.

But some objects do seem to defy physical laws. As evolutionary
biologist Richard Dawkins noted, if you throw a dead bird into the
air, it will describe a graceful parabola and come to rest on the
ground, exactly as physics books say it should, but if you throw a
live bird in the air it may not touch land this side of the county
boundary. These apparent scofflaws are living things, and we interpret
them not as weird springy objects, nor as law-defying miracles, but as
obeying a different kind of law, the laws of an intuitive biology.
Living things are sensed to house an internal essence, which supplies
a renewable source of energy or oomph that propels the animal (usually
in pursuit of a goal), gives it its form, and drives its growth and
bodily functions.

2. Intuitive Biology

This intuition guides the way people in all cultures treat the living
world. Foragers are fine amateur biologists who classify local plants
and animals into categories that often match the professional
biologist's genus or species. The intuition that organisms are driven
by an internal constitution also allows foragers to predict their
movements and life cycles. Straight tracks tell of a beast aiming for
a destination, at which it can perhaps be surprised; a flower in the
spring may provide fruit or a nutritious underground tuber in the
fall. The same intuition inspires foragers to try out plant and animal
parts as medicines, poisons, and food additives,

Children distinguish the living from the nonliving early in life.
Infants expect objects to move only when launched by a collision, but
expect people to start and stop on their own. Preschoolers reason
about animals by ignoring appearances and focusing on their innards.
When asked what would happen of you removed the insides of a dog,
leaving a shell that looks like a dog, children say it is not a dog
and can't bark or eat dogfood. But when asked what would happen if you
removed the outsides of a dog, leaving something that doesn't look
like a dog at all, they say it's still a dog and does doggy things.

3. Intuitive Engineering

A third way of knowing is intuitive engineering, the understanding of
tools and other artifacts. Tools appear in the fossil record millions
of years before modern skulls do and must have been a major selection
pressure for the expansion of the brains that make them. Today's one-
year-old hominids tinker with sticks for pushing, strings for pulling,
and supports for holding things up. Before they enter first grade,
children have different intuitions about artifacts and living things.
If you make a lion look like a tiger with costumes or surgery,
children say it is not a tiger but still a lion. But if you make a
coffeepot look like a birdfeeder, they say it just is a birdfeeder.

These children are aware that artifacts are defined not by their shape
or constitution but by what someone fashioned them to do. A store
selling "chairs" might be stocked with anything from stools and dining
room sets to beanbags, hammocks, foam cylinders, and wooden cubes. A
stump or elephant's foot becomes a chair if someone decides to use it
as one. The only thing that "chairs" have in common is that someone
intends them to hold up a human behind.

4. Intuitive Psychology

No law of physics, biology, or engineering, however, can explain, or
predict, human behavior. For that we need intuitive psychology--the
conviction that people are driven by invisible, weightless mental
states such as beliefs and desires. We mortals can't literally read
other people's minds, but we make good guesses--by listening to what
they say, reading between the lines, watching their face and eyes, and
trying to make sense of their behavior. Like the other core
intuitions, the rudiments of mind reading are first exercised in the
crib. Infants make eye contact and track their parents' gaze,
especially then they are uncertain why a parent is doing something.
Three-year-olds know that a looker generally wants what he is looking
at, that you can't eat the memory of an apple, and that a person can
tell what's in a box only by looking in it.

Conclusion

A child's precocious understanding of these four domains--psychology,
biology, physics, and engineering--suggests that the brain is prepared
for them. Indeed, some patients with brain damage cannot name living
things but can name artifacts, or vice versa, implying that artifacts
and living things are stored in different ways in the brain. And some
kinds of mental disorders seem to impair some domains and leave others
spared. People with autism, for example, seem to lack an intuitive
psychology, whereas those with Williams Syndrome are competent
intuitive psychologists but are spatially and mechanically
challenged...

.....how stone age minds grasp modern science. Formal sciences grew out
of their intuitive counterparts. The conviction that living things
have an essence, for example, is what impelled the first professional
biologists to try to understand the nature of plants and animals by
cutting them open and putting bits of them under a microscope. Anyone
who announced he was trying to understand the nature of chairs by
bringing them into a laboratory and putting bits of them under a scope
would be dismissed as mad, not given a grant.

But modern science forces us to make some changes in our thinking,
including turning offparts of the intuitions out of which it grew.
Newton's first law states that a moving object continues in a straight
line unless acted on by a force. Ask college students what happens to
a whirling tetherball that is cut loose, however, and a depressingly
large minority, including many who have taken physics, say it would
continue in a circular path. The students explain that the object
acquires a "force" or "momentum" that powers it along the curve until
the momentum gets "used up" and the path straightens out. Although
erroneous, the students' beliefs are completely understandable since
we evolved in a world with substantial friction that makes moving
objects slow down and stop, not in a lab with pucks gliding on air
tables.

Modern science also pries our intuitive faculties loose from the
objects they usually apply to and aims them at seemingly inappropriate
ones. To do mathematics, we primates--visual animals--invented graphs.
These allow abstruse concepts to present themselves to our mind's eyes
as reassuringly familiar shapes: "Y=mx+b" is a straight line,
differentiable functions are smooth curves. They also allow
mathematical operations to be performed by doodling in mental imagery:
to add a constant, mentally shove the line upward; to multiply, rotate
it; to integrate, color in the space beneath it. To do chemistry, we
stretch our intuitive physics and treat the essence of a natural
substance as a collection of tiny, bouncy, sticky objects. To do
biology, we take our way of understanding artifacts and apply it to
living things--organs as machines "engineered" by natural selection--
and then to their essences, the molecule of life. To do psychology, we
treat the mind as an organ of a living creature, as an artifact
designed by natural selection, and as a collection of physical
objects, neurons.

According to a saying, if you give a boy a hammer, the whole world
becomes a nail. If you give a species an elementary grasp of
psychology, biology, and mechanics, then for better and worse, the
whole world becomes a society, a zoo, and a machine.

http://www.csulb.edu/~kmacd/463evolpsyIQ.html
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1997_09_naturalhistory.html
http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0013.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6119068/Gazzaniga-Conversations-in-the-Cognitive-Neurosciences

From: Immortalist on
On Jul 12, 7:04 am, "keith...(a)gmail.com" <keith...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 12:48 am, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <o_r_fairbairn-D3BA6B.23394311072...(a)70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.n
> > et>,
> >  Orval Fairbairn <o_r_fairbairn(a)earth_link.net> wrote:
>
> > > In article
> > > <76a4ae3a-0f1e-459b-99e6-6ec231a39...(a)k1g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Please define "scientist."
>
> > Please don't.
>
> > > I do not consider social "scientists", ie. political "scientists,"
> > > sociologists, psychologists, etc. to be qualified to comment on issues
> > > regarding the hard sciences.
>
> > Well, that is unwise of you. There are many issues "regarding th
> > hard sciences" that the hard scientists would be least qualified
> > to comment on.
>
> Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> well understood?

I would offer one example of how the hard sciences absolutely require
the soft social sciences. Peer review, which is a social science based
upon various sociology methodologies is a necessary part of a large
part of hypothesis testing and verification. Hell hard science
requires grammar baby, and much more, else how would scientists even
explain anything, cept for deaf dumb and blind mathsheads who crunch
and get fat on numbers.

Peer review (known as refereeing in some academic fields) is a
scholarly process used in the publication of manuscripts and in the
awarding of funding for research. Publishers and funding agencies use
peer review to select and to screen submissions. The process also
forces authors to meet the standards of their discipline and thus
achieve scientific objectivity. Publications and awards that have not
undergone peer review are likely to be regarded with suspicion by
scholars and professionals in many fields.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Phone Jack