From: Arindam Banerjee on
On Jul 16, 3:13 am, spudnik <Space...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> a-hem; ** yours, bro, two.  and, no;
> it certainly is far from better.
>
> mister Banerjee cannot take any criticism,

gotta understand it first.

such
> as to bother to look anything up that is not immediately adjacent
> to him in a googolplex or wookypoopeya search;

there you go

oh, well, or
> even that, I suppose.
>
> but, what does his formula, mean --
> e=mVV(N-k)N? (not "sumorial" .-)

has been around for a while, in hundreds of posts, since 2000 AD.
None so blind as those who won't see. Still, you got a point, and I
will put all that up in my domain website, as I promised to
Straydoggie. Will do that, soon.

From: spudnik on
OK, anyone can see that it is Liebniz's *vis viva*,
which got rid of Galileo's notion, I think ... except
for the N and the k factors (and I forgot the factor of a half).

anyway, isn't that where e=mcc, comes from?

> > e=mVV(N-k)N? (not "sumorial" .-)
> will put all that up in my domain website, as I promised to

--the Queen of the sciences!
http://wlym.com

--les ducs d'oil!
http://tarpley.net
From: Immortalist on
On Jul 15, 6:10 am, John Stafford <n...(a)droffats.ten> wrote:
> In article
> <09169636-eef7-45df-aac6-3d64b9649...(a)u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Actually peer review was only one of many examples of how hard science
> > depends upon soft science. Whether I can convince you or not that peer
> > review is social science doesn't do much to my original argument.
>
> You may call the method by which you study peer review as a social
> science, but that does not mean that peer review is a social science,
> nor does it mean that peer review is guided by principles of social
> science. Peer review can be as idiosyncratic as the discipline.
>
> In mathematics the outcome of peer review is quite different from very
> many disciplines. There is no room for interpretation, conjecture,
> philosophy, or soft-sciences of any kind.
>
> As I wrote, you may employ social science to study peer review, but peer
> review is not social science, nor does it look to social sciences for
> its performance, organization or method.
>
> The map is not the territory.

I am not talking about some map. I am claiming that the methodology is
either hard or soft science. I am claiming that the actual formulation
of peer review methods are social science not hard science. I sustain
my claim, with some evidence, that peer review methods are employed to
maintain standards, improve performance, and provide credibility, and
these methods a soft social science not hard physical science.

Peer review is a generic term that is used to describe a process of
self-regulation by a profession or a process of evaluation involving
qualified individuals with the related field. Peer review methods are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review
From: Immortalist on
On Jul 15, 8:21 am, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

> > > The issue wasn't _your_ use of quotes but just about everyone putting
> > > those terms into quotes, and for good reason.
>
> > > . . .
>
> > > The only thing the wiki article below got right was hard science has
> > > more sig figs.

> > > A more "scientific science" . . .
>
> > > That reasoning goes in a circular circle.
>
> > > What the author should have said is hard science uses more explicit
> > > calculations . . . that it is more _quantitative_.

> > > Right now there are some physicists laughing at that one.

> > > As stated before, more sig figs.

> > > Examples ain't definitions or qualities.

> > > Hard sciences are more theoretical and therefore  _less_ experimental
> > > than "soft" sciences.
>
> > > The most important "hard" science paper of the 20th Century required
> > > no lab work.
>
> > > Those meta studies in JAMA. . . there's your soft science.

> > > See the header and below.  Before Galileo everything was treated as a
> > > soft science.

> > > That should be true but it's probably not.  For one thing any idiot
> > > can make a graph out of anything.

> > >  Bret Cahill
>
> > > "The value of a calculation to humanity is inversely proportional to
> > > the number of possible sig figs."
>
> > > -- Bret's First Law of Tweaking
>
> > Embarrassing
>
> You wouldn't be so embarrassed if you got a Pell Grant and got some
> book larnin'.

Can you explain yourself a little more clearly? What do you mean about
getting book learning?

From: John Stafford on
In article
<2a28baaf-ec1f-46b7-b58c-e7bf49414f16(a)t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Immortalist <reanimater_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 6:10�am, John Stafford <n...(a)droffats.ten> wrote:
> > In article
> > <09169636-eef7-45df-aac6-3d64b9649...(a)u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > �Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Actually peer review was only one of many examples of how hard science
> > > depends upon soft science. Whether I can convince you or not that peer
> > > review is social science doesn't do much to my original argument.
> >
> > You may call the method by which you study peer review as a social
> > science, but that does not mean that peer review is a social science,
> > nor does it mean that peer review is guided by principles of social
> > science. Peer review can be as idiosyncratic as the discipline.
> >
> > In mathematics the outcome of peer review is quite different from very
> > many disciplines. There is no room for interpretation, conjecture,
> > philosophy, or soft-sciences of any kind.
> >
> > As I wrote, you may employ social science to study peer review, but peer
> > review is not social science, nor does it look to social sciences for
> > its performance, organization or method.
> >
> > The map is not the territory.
>
> I am not talking about some map. I am claiming that the methodology is
> either hard or soft science. I am claiming that the actual formulation
> of peer review methods are social science not hard science.

You miss the point. Peer-review groups are not guided by social science.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Phone Jack
Next: SLA battery orientation?