From: John Stafford on
> (attributes lost - sorry!)

> > Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> > comment on the "hard sciences"? �...particularly those that are not
> > well understood?
>
> I would offer one example of how the hard sciences absolutely require
> the soft social sciences. Peer review, which is a social science based
> upon various sociology methodologies

Peer review is not based upon any social science whatsoever. A person
chooses those to review an article.
From: Arindam Banerjee on
On Jul 11, 9:32 am, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> > > Or are you a conspiracy theorist who believes 98% of the scientists on
> > > the planet are in on a conspiracy?

Good question. I would say that 100% of all well-paid and
institutionalised theoretical physicists are in on the biggest
conspiracy+scam the scientific world has ever known. e=mcc is
bollocks.
Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

> > That's about the same percentage who held that the Sun went round the
> > Earth.

Actually, einsteinian relativity is about just that, somehow
maintaining the Aristotlian model of the Earth being the centre of the
universe. For when we make the Earth move, einstein's theories crash
to the ground. Earlier, I have spent a long time explaining this.
Won't bother again, just making a point till I come up with
experimental proof.

From: Bret Cahill on

> > > Please don't.

> > > Well, that is unwise of you. There are many issues "regarding th
> > > hard sciences" that the hard scientists would be least qualified
> > > to comment on.
>
> > Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> > comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> > well understood?
>
> I would offer one example of how the hard sciences absolutely require
> the soft social sciences. Peer review, which is a social science based
> upon various sociology methodologies is a necessary part of a large
> part of hypothesis testing and verification.

Just putting "hard" into quotes shows some dependency.

Has anyone even bothered to precisely define or list the differences
between "hard" and "soft" sciences?

I mentioned sig figs in "hard" vs epidemiological studies in "soft."

Before Galileo there was no distinction.

Some believe Galileo made science into a science.

Bret Cahill

From: Bret Cahill on
> > > Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> > > comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> > > well understood?

> > I would offer one example of how the hard sciences absolutely require
> > the soft social sciences. Peer review, which is a social science based
> > upon various sociology methodologies

> Peer review is not based upon any social science whatsoever.

So you can evaluate the peer review process to the same precision, the
same number of sig figs as, say, the gravitational constant?

Or are you saying that peer review isn't based on any science
whatsoever?

Bret Cahill

From: keithw86 on
On Jul 13, 11:12 am, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

> > > Yet you believe that those in the "soft sciences" are qualified to
> > > comment on the "hard sciences"?  ...particularly those that are not
> > > well understood?
>
> > I would offer one example of how the hard sciences absolutely require
> > the soft social sciences. Peer review, which is a social science based
> > upon various sociology methodologies is a necessary part of a large
> > part of hypothesis testing and verification.
>
> Just putting "hard" into quotes shows some dependency.
>
> Has anyone even bothered to precisely define or list the differences
> between "hard" and "soft" sciences?

Deals in the concept or falsifiability == hard. Deals in squishy
feelings == soft.

> I mentioned sig figs in "hard" vs epidemiological studies in "soft."
>
> Before Galileo there was no distinction.
>
> Some believe Galileo made science into a science.

Newton.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Phone Jack