From: Adam Pedder on
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a Quantum DLT-V4 SATA tape drive on a promise Tx2 SATA
card working with the SBS backup(or indeed vanilla NTbackup).

It backs up just over 8,000,000 bytes, and then gets stuck reporting a
hardware failure, and I get an event ID 9 The device, \Device\Scsi\ulsata21,
did not respond within the timeout period. in the System Log.

I've installed a Backup Exec trial and that runs through fine and will do a
full backup, so the hardware cannot be at fault.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very greatful.

Thanks,

Adam

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on
Adam Pedder <adam(a)sfaxdotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get a Quantum DLT-V4 SATA tape drive on a promise Tx2
> SATA card working with the SBS backup(or indeed vanilla NTbackup).
>
> It backs up just over 8,000,000 bytes, and then gets stuck reporting a
> hardware failure, and I get an event ID 9 The device,
> \Device\Scsi\ulsata21, did not respond within the timeout period. in
> the System Log.
> I've installed a Backup Exec trial and that runs through fine and
> will do a full backup, so the hardware cannot be at fault.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very greatful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Make sure you're using the latest supported W2003 driver from the
manufacturer and also update the firmware. Note that when you install BU it
uses its own drivers.

From: Adam Pedder on
I've got the latest drivers for both the controller card and drive, but I've
also tried with prvious drivers. I knew that about BE already, it does start
to point towards a driver issue.

Adam

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on
Adam Pedder <adam(a)sfaxdotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:
> I've got the latest drivers for both the controller card and drive,
> but I've also tried with prvious drivers. I knew that about BE
> already, it does start to point towards a driver issue.
>
> Adam
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench(a)heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:OnY%23EQInHHA.568(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Adam Pedder <adam(a)sfaxdotcodotuk.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get a Quantum DLT-V4 SATA tape drive on a promise Tx2
>>> SATA card working with the SBS backup(or indeed vanilla NTbackup).
>>>
>>> It backs up just over 8,000,000 bytes, and then gets stuck
>>> reporting a hardware failure, and I get an event ID 9 The device,
>>> \Device\Scsi\ulsata21, did not respond within the timeout period. in
>>> the System Log.
>>> I've installed a Backup Exec trial and that runs through fine and
>>> will do a full backup, so the hardware cannot be at fault.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very greatful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> Make sure you're using the latest supported W2003 driver from the
>> manufacturer and also update the firmware. Note that when you
>> install BU it uses its own drivers.

I'd contact the manufacturer for support - they may have a tape utility you
can download for testing on a scratch tape.