From: Gabor on
On Apr 27, 5:52 pm, Brian Drummond <brian_drumm...(a)btconnect.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:26:15 -0700 (PDT), Alex <vict...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >I am a beginner interested to learn what PCB design software is
> >suitable for designs using FPGA chips?
>
> >I also wonder whether free software packages (such as FreePCB,
> >ExpressPCB) are good enough for PCB designs using FPGA chips?
>
> >Thank you.
>
> FreePCB is definitely up to the job, but make sure you use a Gerber
> viewer and double-check the output; there may be some fiddling with
> settings required to meet your PCB fabricator's requirements.
> (This goes for paid-for PCB packages too!)
>
> Caveat: my project using FreePCB didn't actually get as far as
> fabrication, but it was looking good.
>
> My major gripe with FreePCB was that it was Windows only.
>
> - Brian

We do Gerber checks even on the files created by outside design
services. You'd be surprised at how many "disconnects" there
are between the design database and the Gerber output files.

I use a Gerber view from PentaLogix that allows you to edit
the Gerbers. This is useful for some things like removing
thermal relief on vias, or adding odd openings over copper
in the solder mask. If I recall correctly it cost less than
$100, and the version that doesn't allow editing is free.

Regards,
Gabor
From: Alex on
Thank you very much for your replies - they are very helpful!